118 replies to this topic

#1 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

At the press conference I saw yesterday Sony revealed that the ps3 will have 2 models. 20GB version will cost $500 and the 60GB is $600. It looks like the PS3 has a marketplace clone alongside with other features. Since I really don't want to bother talking about the HD settings and other hardware features I'm going to take about  one category. THE GAMES!!

Here are my favorite games from the conference.

Heavenly Sword

Resistance: Fall of Man

Final Fantasy XIII

And yes Tekken 6

http://i.i.com.com/c...9_screen003.jpg

DMC4? Where the hell is it?

Overall I am really looking forward to the launch and hopfuly by then I will have the enough money saved in the bank to buy one.
What is a man?

#2 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

I'm not sure if Sony will be able to hold 1st place if the price is going to be that high. That's an extra 100-300 dollars compared to an Xbox 360 which is probably just slightly less powerful than the ps3. Then there's the Revolution which while not exactly competing with the PS3 could be as much as $500 less than the 60 gb version. I think sony is putting too much on the hope that people will pay that much for a superior product, maybe in Japan that might be true, but I think they might lose the north american market

#3 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

My favorites are:

1- Heavenly Sword
2- Final Fantasy XIII
3- Metal Gear Solid 4

And yes, where is DMC4? I would think that would be one of the first things shown. :?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#4 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

Maybe Capcom will show it off on the last day.

Gran Turismo HD looked like crap IMO. I was yawning through the whole demonstration of that stupid game. Warhawk and Lair looks badass.
What is a man?

#5 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

These are just crazy prices.  Not a lot of thought seemed to go into this, it's as if Kutaragi has lost touch with reality or something lately.  "yeah, let's make the ultimate console and put all these needless features into it, cost be damned!"    

What's also retarded is that despite offering a "core" system priced at $500, the missing features CANNOT be added at a later time.  At least Microsoft managed to clock in with a $300 SKU and even then, they only stripped the hard drive from the overall package (plus the chrome DVD faceplate)---something you could easily add at a later time.

And then they go and add features from the Wii and 360 into their console which screams of desperation.  I wish nothing but failure for Sony, their downfall is long overdue.

#6 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

View PostMacProject, on May 9th 2006, 02:38 PM, said:

What's also retarded is that despite offering a "core" system priced at $500, the missing features CANNOT be added at a later time.  At least Microsoft managed to clock in with a $300 SKU and even then, they only stripped the hard drive from the overall package (plus the chrome DVD faceplate)---something you could easily add at a later time.

Your missing the point why it retals at 500-600 dollars. It's using the cell processor, it takes nearly $1k to produce, and there trying to make profit off of the console. What's retarded is the microsoft could of spent more time to debug the console.

View PostMacProject, on May 9th 2006, 02:38 PM, said:

And then they go and add features from the Wii and 360 into their console which screams of desperation.  I wish nothing but failure for Sony, their downfall is long overdue.

No offence man but have you even played a game on that console besides Tenchu and MGS?
What is a man?

#7 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

View PostIchigo27, on May 9th 2006, 03:41 PM, said:

LOL! :rotfl:

Have fun spending $700+ on a stupid game console.  
LOL!  :rotfl:

#8 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:55 PM

View PostMacProject, on May 9th 2006, 02:49 PM, said:

Have fun spending $700+ on a stupid game console.  
LOL!  :rotfl:

I will call it a stupid $700 console when I am not satisfied with the results.
What is a man?

#9 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:58 PM

I was only disappointed that you had to read the press announcement very carefully to notice the missing features of the 20GB model and the 60GB model. A little sneaky of Sony I thought.

I know somewhere, someone is going to get the 20GB version home and wonder where the heck the Wi-Fi and 1080 HD support are, along with the other missing features.

But I never had one in my budget or desire anyways so no biggie for me. Titan Quest demo tomorrow and the full version of it with it's lovely editor and CivCity Rome this summer on my new 20" iMac will keep me too busy to worry about PS3.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#10 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:59 PM

The PS3 looks ok to me... nothing mindblowing really... but it has one huge drawback. They removed the rumble completely for the gyro technology. While this will be ok in new games that support the new technology, it's a huge loss for all games that doesn't... and due to the PSOne and PS2 backwards compatibility that will be a lot.

I'm not sure the PS3 will offer enough to get my money at launch... I'll hold back until it goes down in price... at least below the 360's launch price and probably then some, since the 360 was expensive enough as it was from the start... I wouldn't have bought it if it had costed anything more and now I already have one HD console... I'd rather spend my winter money on a much cheaper Wii as things look now.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#11 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

View PostWhaleman, on May 9th 2006, 02:59 PM, said:

The PS3 looks ok to me... nothing mindblowing really... but it has one huge drawback. They removed the rumble completely for the gyro technology. While this will be ok in new games that support the new technology, it's a huge loss for all games that doesn't... and due to the PSOne and PS2 backwards compatibility that will be a lot.

It doesn't look amazing like it did last year but I like it overall, heck it looks more exciting then the xbox 360 and I play that with most of my free console/computer useage time. IIRC the reason they took out the dual shock rumble feature due to legal issues.

View PostWhaleman, on May 9th 2006, 02:59 PM, said:

I'm not sure the PS3 will offer enough to get my money at launch... I'll hold back until it goes down in price... at least below the 360's launch price and probably then some, since the 360 was expensive enough as it was from the start... I wouldn't have bought it if it had costed anything more and now I already have one HD console... I'd rather spend my winter money on a much cheaper Wii as things look now.

I'm not sure if I will even have enough money to try to buy one, if it wasn't  for tax's and rent then it would easier for me to save. 500 or 600 dollars plus 60-75 dollar games, I think I might have to buy only 1 game at or after launch sadly. Which sucks cause I want 7 games. :angry:
What is a man?

#12 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

View PostIchigo27, on May 10th 2006, 06:15 AM, said:

IIRC the reason they took out the dual shock rumble feature due to legal issues.
Yeah, apparently someone patented making something wobble by spinning an unbalanced wheel. But the patent only covers having two of them, so Nintendo is OK. :crazy:

#13 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

View PostIchigo27, on May 9th 2006, 01:15 PM, said:

60-75 dollar games

thats the real killer right there. because even if you do somehow manage to get $600 to spend on a PS3 (assuming most people are on a budget) the games are so insanely priced that just that just 3 games are going to nearly equal the rumored $200 price tag for the nintendo Wii.
this is all of course do to the BlueRay.
IMO this is the death of Sony. The PS3 has been going down hill ever since it was announced. luckily im not much of a console gamer anyways. but if i had to get one it would defiantly be a fight between the 360 and the Wii.

But then again, in the end, we all saw this huge price point coming. I remember at the E3 where it was announced some guy was saying something about how the GPU it was using was the equivalent of two 7800GT's. not to mention the cell processor.

But it seems i have gone into a rant here and should stop.

#14 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

X360 has won. with prices like that i mean PHWOOOSH! PHWOOOSH!

i am not looking foreward to any games and DMC3 lost all my hopes in that series!

DOA is BETTER than TEKKEN!

and GTA IV is X360 exclusive(for the time being)

HELLBOY THE GAME! :lol:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#15 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on May 9th 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

thats the real killer right there. because even if you do somehow manage to get $600 to spend on a PS3 (assuming most people are on a budget) the games are so insanely priced that just that just 3 games are going to nearly equal the rumored $200 price tag for the nintendo Wii.
this is all of course do to the BlueRay.
IMO this is the death of Sony. The PS3 has been going down hill ever since it was announced. luckily im not much of a console gamer anyways. but if i had to get one it would defiantly be a fight between the 360 and the Wii.

It's pointless to judge a console by it's price without doing research on the games that are coming out or available for it or just playing it.

View PostLemon Lime, on May 9th 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

But it seems i have gone into a rant here and should stop.

I would really like it if you stop your rant for the good of this thread. Heck I would of liked it if this thread wasn't full of anti sony bias posts....

View Postaussiemacgamer, on May 9th 2006, 09:53 PM, said:

X360 has won. with prices like that i mean PHWOOOSH! PHWOOOSH!

i am not looking foreward to any games and DMC3 lost all my hopes in that series!
DOA is BETTER than TEKKEN!

and GTA IV is X360 exclusive(for the time being)
HELLBOY THE GAME! :lol:

Once again you fail to express your opinion in a more credible and intelligent context.
What is a man?

#16 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

I'm so frickin' rich I'm going to buy one.

#17 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

View PostIchigo27, on May 9th 2006, 08:16 PM, said:

It's pointless to judge a console by it's price without doing research on the games that are coming out or available for it or just playing it.
I would really like it if you stop your rant for the good of this thread. Heck I would of liked it if this thread wasn't full of anti sony bias posts....
Once again you fail to express your opinion in a more credible context.

we are not anti sony, we just dont like the PS3. you know, not everybody had to agree with you.

#18 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:28 PM

Ichigo if it will make you feel any better, I wouldn't buy an XBox 360 even if someone put a gun to your head.  :P

I will however buy the PS3. Probably the 60GB one. :happy:

#19 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:03 AM

View PostIchigo27, on May 10th 2006, 05:16 AM, said:

Actually, it's extremely valid to judge a console by its price, since that's what you have to cash out to get one. If you just see at the consoles themselves and not the game, the choice between the two HD consoles gives you the 360 at $299/$399 for core/premium and the PS3 at $399/$499... and that gives you a 33%/25% extra cost for the PS3, if the 360 doesn't drop in price until then.

Given, the PS3 has Blue-Ray, but I doubt it will be a very good movie-player... the PS2 wasn't for sure. I prefer mine a bit quieter and without loss of lipsync after the layer switch halfway through a movie... but then the 360 is even worse... so I'm sticking to dedicated players.

The PS3 might have even more interesting games, but the 360 has a year head start... so the PS3 will go uphill from the start. Many people just see a next gen console and don't look to deeply into the games. They now see a 360 now or a PS3 in the far future for more money and almost guaranteed supply shortages at launch. Plus I'm not sure what Sony said about us Europeans, haven't seen anything about that yet... they tend to dislike us for some reason when it comes to release dates.

As a final note, there's no legal business involved with the removal of rumble. It would probably cost to much to have a rumble feature for backwards compatible games only... so they remove it and try to justify it by calling it last gen. If I hadn't gotten rid of my PS2 ages ago I wouldn't mind a bit, but now I was planning on getting a PS3 to fill up the gap of PS2 games since I abandoned the platform. With this... I'm not sure what I will do. I'm only gonna get one Sony console the coming 3-5 years, and I really like my rumble. It will probably be a PS3 and hope for some company to release a PS2-adapted controller for it. Since I won't pre-order a PS3 anyway, one will probably be out before I even can get close to getting a console.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6201 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:10 AM

View PostWhaleman, on May 10th 2006, 02:03 AM, said:

Given, the PS3 has Blue-Ray, but I doubt it will be a very good movie-player... the PS2 wasn't for sure. I prefer mine a bit quieter and without loss of lipsync after the layer switch halfway through a movie... but then the 360 is even worse... so I'm sticking to dedicated players.
Maybe that's just yours. I have to disagree there, as my PS2 was my DVD player up until I got my G4. Unless the disc was overly dirty it played movies just fine without synchronization problems for about two years. I'm a big movie buff, meaning it was playing them on a very frequent basis as well. Good audio, good video, no problems; it was a fantastic player in my opinion.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.