52 replies to this topic

#41 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

well, at least 1-5... cos theres varying degrees of mediocrity. Really you dont want to play anything worse than 5. Whilst 7 should be a good game with some obvious flaws, such as camera angles in a 3D platformer (though in a sonic game, this will usually completely break the game), 8 has less flaws, 9 should be very good with one or two smallish niggles, whilst 10 should be a nigh on perfect game.

cases in point of perfect 10s would have to be Mario Galaxy and The Orange Box. Both games (though the latter has so much value packed in its ridiculous to call it just one game) with no discernible flaws as far as I can see. Mario Galaxy might be a tiny bit easy on the whole, but getting all 120 stars is a big task, and it gets harder as you go.

An example of a 9, for me, would be Bioshock. Theres one or two minor flaws to it, like the balancing of weapons, but it drags you deep into the story and atmosphere so that I honestly didnt care and just enjoyed it.

8 - STALKER. tried to bite off a bit too much, but on the whole Im very glad that it did. A very very big game which suffers, in particular, with decidedly average AI, a rather overwhelming sense of "what do I do?" sometimes (mainly cos I cant really be bothered to trek half way across the world). Though in terms of scale and having to travel, this is how I imagine Halo could have ended up, streaming from one area to the next and having to fight your way to the next objective.

7 - UT3. tries too much, and doesnt achieve the hype that it was supposed to. Warfare is nice, but feels incredibly superfluous compared to Onslaught. Some rather dodgy decisions with the vehicles. The campaign is teh suckage, but is a means to an end to introduce players to all the game types. Weapon balance is almost out the window with everything being able to kill you very very quickly. True to life, I guess. And truly horrendous amounts of bloom, which doesnt help the samey battlefield architecture.

3 distinct games, all of which are much better than average, but also a demonstration of how the scaling system should work.

Given that most games fall into the 7-10 category, despite often not being good. The new Turok should not get more than a 5, yet averages at 67% or something, which shows how inherrently flawed and skewed many gaming journalists' scoring scales work.

Edge is the primary proponent of 5 being average, and is pretty much the industry benchmark, with many game makers only really caring about the score they get in that one particular magazine (well, and selling boat loads of their game).
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#42 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:57 AM

Well, you present a phenomenal argument about the scoring system. It is so true, and clearly defined. Very nice Teflon, you could write a whole essay on this. Very nice. :thumbsup:

It is extremely good that someone has been able to define how the scoring system is whack and how it should be. I know people have done it before though.

Liberator. :)

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#43 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:13 AM

But then again, why have a rating system at all? It's just there to give you the impression that there is a standard of "game playing", where games are either good or bad.

But the thing is: Reviewers are people. People like things. People sometimes like crap that nobody should like, but they do. Sorry to sound preachy, I know I used a "omg assassins creed is a 8 out of ten" kind of thing, but what ever that means can only be described in details, or "what kind of feeling I got playing this game". Only then, will you know how I experienced this game. But for everyone else except the reviewer, reviews are completely bollocks, since they won't tell you how you will like this game.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#44 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:26 AM

The only thing I really do not like is when the nearly whole of the industry goes wild about how a game is, when Frankly it is not that amazing. Yes, I am talking directly about Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4, and a bit about Grand theft Auto 4. I believe they have ben far too hyped up and also too overrated. I especially think they games that were too overrated were CoD 4 and Halo 3. I do not men for this to be like a thread about personal opinions, because that is not what I am talking about. I am giving examples of how stupid it can be how games are given reviews that do not make sense in my mind. That is all.

Thanks, Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#45 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:41 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on June 3rd 2008, 07:57 AM, said:

Well, you present a phenomenal argument about the scoring system. It is so true, and clearly defined. Very nice Teflon, you could write a whole essay on this.

wait.... I thought I just did!  :blink:

View PostQuantaCat, on June 3rd 2008, 08:13 AM, said:

But the thing is: Reviewers are people. People like things. People sometimes like crap that nobody should like, but they do.
im sorry, you seem to be under the impression that game journalism is truly based upon just the impressions of the reviewers...
when in fact, its more of a fight for exclusives. Theres been a few occasions where a publisher/developer has withheld a game from Edge because they know that theyll get a dodgy review from them, or that Edge gave them a bad review in the past etc. etc.

as for why they bother with scores? cos people like scores. Its also why scores now average at 7/10. Because that immediately implies that the game is good/has merit immediately upon seeing that number. Taking the example of Turok, there were flawed console controls, bland graphics, unimaginitive bosses, unimaginitive story which completely strips out the original Turok story. Its all well and good creating a fairly generic game, but at least put some polish into it so that its enjoyable to play. Its at that point that you should not be awarding a 7.

in fact, you should probably burn your review so that noone ever finds out that the game existed... cos if you publish it, then, you know, someone might actually play it!

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#46 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:07 AM

I like the use of the word "objective" from GameSpot. Because, y'know, when I play a game I'm doing it objectively...

They're welcome to buy my dissertation off of me whenever they like (an objective method for reviewing games).
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#47 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:00 AM

Sorry teflon to make you confused, but I meant something that is longer than four hundred and seventy seven words. Well, I guess that is an essay, maybe a short essay, but I guess I kind of stand corrected. :)

Liberator.

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

I pay absolutely no attention to game reviews, I quit reading them years ago.  What I do read is comments by other gamers in forums that describe what the game is about and whether they enjoyed it or not.  Reviews are less than useless to me; whacked rating systems, too much bias, too much payola, too much business politics, too little real information about the game.  IMG Reviews are OK, but they still suffer from a rating system that means nothing.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:15 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on June 3rd 2008, 09:16 AM, said:

I pay absolutely no attention to game reviews, I quit reading them years ago.  What I do read is comments by other gamers in forums that describe what the game is about and whether they enjoyed it or not.  Reviews are less than useless to me; whacked rating systems, too much bias, too much payola, too much business politics, too little real information about the game.  IMG Reviews are OK, but they still suffer from a rating system that means nothing.
^ What he said.

Case and point games like GTA IV and Halo 3 getting near perfect (or in GTA's case, perfect 10) ratings. Halo 3 was a decent game, but nowhere near perfect, was graphically atrocious, and suffered from a campaign that was wonderfully exciting about 1/3 of the time and terribly bland the other 2/3.

Or GTA IV, which garnered perfect 10s even though both versions of it are so covered in flaws I could go on for a full page listing everything that's wrong with the game. I mean, what would it be if it wasn't covered in graphical problems, an 11?

Both of those games got their ratings chiefly on what they were named. Reviewer bias/payoff/what have you has gotten out of control.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#50 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:02 AM

GTA IV (while I dont personally like GTA games) is the kind of game where its inherently going to have many many things wrong with it, but as a whole package it offers so much etc. etc. that reviewers will easily get carried away. Not to mention that it must be ridiculously difficult to test it and iron out all the bugs. See you in 2010, when it comes out of beta.

While I spout about Edge, I disagree with a couple of the perfect 10s they gave. Mario Galaxy deserved one, as did the orange box, but GTA4 probably doesnt. Halo 3 definitely doesnt, being almost entirely about the multiplayer, whilst the single player has gotten neglected a bit too much. Part of it is down to the massed walkout that happened at the back end of 2003. 4 years on and it seems that the staff is just a bit too 10-happy. Sure, theres a lot of really really good games out right now, but that just means that the average is getting higher, and so the scale needs to be adjusted accordingly.

(On the subject of graphical issues, the PS3 version of GTA4 runs at.... 640p! thats now officially my favourite resolution for its ridiculousness. Halo 3 doesnt run at 720P either)

#51 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

When was the last time any of us bought a game based on reviews? I buy a game after i play it. If i see a news article about it, that will amount some interest, if a friend tells me about it, that will also amount some interest.

Anyways back on subject (sorta) anyone else got any reviews for Assassin's Creed?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#52 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

To chip in here on the review thing, True Crime: Streets of LA was a game that got bad reviews all around. However I hugely enjoyed it. So much so I played it twice through right in a row.

I read reviews just to get details about a game, I'm not so concerned with what a reviewer may think of it personally.

On the AC front, my friend finished it recently. His only complaints were it got slightly repetitive, but in a way he didn't mind too much because it was so fun. He didn't have any trouble with crashing or anything either. Oh yeah, and his other complaint was it takes an absurd amount of clicks to quit the game.  :lol: Overall he gave it a 9.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#53 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on June 6th 2008, 01:17 AM, said:

When was the last time any of us bought a game based on reviews? I buy a game after i play it. If i see a news article about it, that will amount some interest, if a friend tells me about it, that will also amount some interest.

Anyways back on subject (sorta) anyone else got any reviews for Assassin's Creed?

*raises hand* I actually bought CoD4 because of the Zero Punctuation review. Actually, I should qualify that and say I was interested in the game already, but it's not usually my sort of thing - when I saw Yatzhee liked it, it pushed my curiosity over the tipping point.

That said, I usually know what I'm interested in without reviews, the only question for me is what price point am I willing to pick it up at? Some developers I know I can buy on day one and love it (Blizzard, Valve, etc.), others I know I'll get a kick out of, but prefer for it to drop a couple of tens of dollars first. Still, when I don't know much about a game, I'll go to Gamerankings or Metacritic, read the most positive review, read the most negative review, and kind of feel out what's going on and whether I care enough about the flaws they point out - I'm still perfectly capable of enjoying a 'bad' game in a few cases.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64