#21 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

View PostQuantaCat, on May 9th 2008, 02:57 AM, said:

I give it 8 thumbs up! (out of ten) (point deduction for repetition in the game, but bonus for general "integration" of story items and atmosphere)

You have 10 thumbs?  :blink:

Has anyone tried this on a 8600M GT-powered MacBook Pro?  If not, I'll ask for a copy and see how it runs.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#22 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:10 AM

Well, I would guess you can leave the detail and texture etc one level "up" or run at a higher res. The game is beautiful either way.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#23 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

Sacrifice all detail to run it at the highest res possible. Looks best that way.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#24 charmin

charmin

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:16 AM

I ran it at uber-low res so I could turn up the effects, so nya :P
15"MBP@2.4/250/2/256 (This space saving format should be an international standard)
I'm actually TOO good at both TMFPPG and Fable:TLC.
I sleep in a BBEdit T-shirt, but I'm a TextMate user.

#25 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

Ulgh, i tried that, couldn't stand it. I also cant stand the way all the civillians look like retards. The lepers of all the civillians are the most normal.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#26 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:42 AM

I don't know. I have low expectation when it comes to graphic. And when something like this comes along, I'm so delighted.

For me, the main thing that makes out good graphics is Effects and Animation. If it's a bit low res, well, what the hey.

So basically, I lowered the res, and graphical detail and tex detail too, but left post pro filter on. Which means the animations are smooth (enough atleast), and the effects are still there. Meaning great fun!

I love Parcour.
QC.

#27 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:48 AM

Thats another thing that irritates me! The free running thing gets boring really quick. Essentially all it is is holding the right click, Forward button, and spacebar. Nothing to it. Everything in Assassins Creed is rather strait-forward and Veneered. Those finishing moves in the combat keep things fresh though... kinda like The Witcher, just not as brutal.

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#28 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

I enjoyed AC in between crashes...

They should've just called the game "Assassin's Freeze."
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#29 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

View PostFrost, on May 15th 2008, 04:18 PM, said:

They should've just called the game "Assassin's Freeze."
No, that's false advertising. The developers wanted Assassin's Desktop but the lawyers said it was too much like Derek Smart's Desktop Commander.

#30 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

I only had two crashes throughout the entire game. You must have had some bad mojo. Or newer bootcamped-ness.
QC.

#31 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:12 AM

Just clocked it last night... what a stupid ending. I feel like an idiot now. I am sick of hollywood cliffhangers. "Lets cut the end of the story off and put it at the start of the sequel so they have to pay even more money!" The audience has no rights anymore.

But man the dock assassination was fun! after doing the same thing over and over again, at least one of the Assassinations was different! I stick to my 7 for this game.

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#32 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:38 AM

I don't know, I love cliff hangers. But then again, I'm an aspiring script writer/director/etc :D
QC.

#33 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on May 11th 2008, 07:19 AM, said:

I'm going to go ahead and give the game a 7. Repetitive in almost all forms. I am doing the same things over and over again, seeing the same things over and over again, seeing the same people over and over again, i am hearing the same things over and over again "thank you for saving me, if only my sons were have as brave as you, i shall tell them this tale of your bravery and perhaps they shall learn something from it" They have recorded that same line in like 7 different voices! if they went to that trouble surely they could have thought of a different freaking line! at the point i am at in the game it has just become a "go to city, talk to bureau cheif, do three informer challenges, assassinate some guy. Makes me want to jump of a lookout spot onto the floor not a bale of hay.

Is a 7 good or bad on your scale? You seem to have a negative view of the game, but 7 seems pretty high.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#34 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:54 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on June 2nd 2008, 11:21 AM, said:

Is a 7 good or bad on your scale? You seem to have a negative view of the game, but 7 seems pretty high.

Im just not listing anything i liked about it :happy:

Positive +
+ Good Story (ending excluded)
+ Unique storytelling technique keeps story fresh and interesting to Play
+ Fast, Fluid, mostly fun action
+ Free Running idea is cool
+ Great Visuals (although NPC designs are questionable)
+ Open ended game design works

Negative -
- Crap ending
- Free running could have been a little more in depth and should have been used as even more of a focal point in the game
- Missions become far too repetitive in the middle of the game
- Altair has an American accent?
- Sounds become repetitive ( i think i heard someone say "Elldorale" to me about 100 times in combat)
- and more detail could have gone into the random NPC's. They just really do look retarded.

Don't get me wrong, Assassin's Creed is a fun action adventure game, but it wont give the best of both worlds (just a good part of them). AC should be applauded for its intuitive storytelling techniques. It simply falls short in two big areas. By being too short and not having enough diversity in missions. most of my other complaints are simply little things to get annoyed at, but would be nice if they weren't there.
So maybe a 6.9 :blush:

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#35 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:03 AM

surely, seeing as the scale is from 1-10, that implies immediately that 5 is average and 7 is better than average but slightly flawed and not truly spectacular.
of course, most of the video gaming media relies heavily on 7 being the average, which completely skews the scale and makes it excessively bottom heavy, whilst most of the scores lie around 8-9.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#36 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

full true bro! its a choice from 3 scores. 7- popsnizzle, 8- okay, or 9- best game ever made ZOMGWTFBBQFTW!

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#37 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:05 AM

Well that is a bit stupid to have a scoring system to scale incorrectly is it not? If they keep doing this for a long time, there probably will be questionable things coming of it it soon. As Teflon said, it completely puzzles my why they cannot just do something completely logical and absolutely within reason like that. It really makes me think that the world really is habituated with idiots.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#38 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:11 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on June 2nd 2008, 10:05 PM, said:

Well that is a bit stupid to have a scoring system to scale incorrectly is it not? If they keep doing this for a long time, there probably will be questionable things coming of it it soon. As Teflon said, it completely puzzles my why they cannot just do something completely logical and absolutely within reason like that. It really makes me think that the world really is habituated with idiots.

Liberator.

It is. the rating systems have been like that for ages. I guarantee you that if i go through all my old OAXbox Magazines none of the reviews will go under 5.0.

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

I don't understand the way game reviews scale games with the 1 to 10 scale.  It seems to me that 1 denotes a poor game that is so flawed you are warned against buying it.  5 should be a good game with some flaws, but still solid stuff that you would enjoy.  10 would be a game that comes around only once in a while, a game so well conceived and executed that you should buy it just to brag that you have it.  Most all games are rated 7 to 9.  Why not just have a 1 to 3 rating system?  1 to 10 is never utilized.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on June 2nd 2008, 07:15 AM, said:

why not just have a 1 to 3 rating system?
If it scores a 1 out of 3 it must have failed, obviously. 2 out of 3 is barely a pass. 3 out of 3 would be expected out of any game the reviewer might consider buying. A Siskel Roeper & Ebert Voice Box-style review panel and thumbs up or down system would probably be better. It would be pretty obvious who's capable of being honest, and no one would have to come up with some BS number.