Is it possible to cross genre search on MGS?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4311 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:31 AM

My daughter is 4 and is finally waking up to games. She's set her sights on Toki Tori 2 now, but she has no idea what she's doing. I thought perhaps some simple hidden objects games would be nice, but at her level of course, so no reading (Especially not english).

Is it possible to search for games within two genres at once, ie. Kids AND Hidden Object, and perhaps also with other parameters such as rating?
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2942 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:51 AM

You can search one genre and then filter by rating, but not by two genres.

It turns out there are only about 70 games in the MGS kids category so it doesn't take long to look through them all.

There may be a hidden object game that is suitable for kids but I suspect most of them target older audiences. But you'd have to look through them for yourself.

My kids grew up on edutainment titles- those are easy to buy because they are designed for very specific age groups, have a lot of immediate rewards for clicking around, and might even teach them something. Humongous Adventures (which are back on the market) were also a lot of fun, though toddler is probably too young for those. (Maybe one of their non-adventure games?)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:36 PM

Not HOGs, but there are many coloring book games on Steam if she'd like that, like this.
Also find the difference games, like the Viki Spotter games.

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4311 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I went through what there was, but I don't think there's much if you either can't read basic words, or even understand english in the first place. LIke, the Humongous Adventures titles look great, but requires english understanding, and at this point she can count to 10 in english, and that's likely not going to improve much until she hits grade 2 in public school.

She has plenty of coloring apps on the iPad, but prefers coloring in real life. I get like 2-4 drawings a day from the kindergarten... :P

The Vivi Spotter games look good though, so I think I'll give one of those a try, thanks! Any suggestions for simple platforming games for a small child?
"They're everywhere!" -BOB