What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1626 replies to this topic

#1621 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 15 March 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

Half way through Life Is Strange's 2nd episode.

For some strange reason (no pun intended) I had stopped playing this game, and only now finished it 8 months later. And this is by far one the best games ever! A masterpiece! A work of art! Unbelievable. It deserves Oscars for best picture, best leading role, best supporting role, best cinematography, best directing, best film editing, best music, best sound editing, best sound mixing, and best writing. If you thought Telltale's The Walking Dead was great, this is one step higher. It even managed to make me all misty-eyed, and that doesn't happen easily.

Highly recommended!

#1622 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

For some reason I'm already losing my desire to play Destiny 2 and it's only been a couple weeks. Can't put my finger on it, but probably my guess is I feel a lot less "super" due to the insanely long (compared to Destiny 1) ability cooldown times, and the change from the primary-special-heavy weapon system to the kinetic primary-energy primary-power weapon system really just sucks the wind out of the gunplay and pacing. It's thrown into sharp relief how much special weapons helped tame Destiny's bullet sponges in the first game; in the second game, you have no special weapon with a heavy weapon to really rip up problem enemies. You just have two primaries and either a heavy weapon with hardly any ammo, or a special weapon with hardly any ammo in the power slot. When stronger enemies come around sometimes I find myself wanting to glance at the time and go, "Am I still shooting this guy?" It's the same feeling I got from the Division when it initially launched and why I didn't buy it till they cut down time to kill to something more reasonable.

Especially in PvP; if you were really good and knew the ins and outs of the system, you could pull off some insane one-man heroics in Destiny 1's PvP and those moments were what made the Crucible experience. It was one of those things where you'd keep going, "Just one more game. Just one more game." Destiny 2's Crucible is an exceptionally well-balanced teamshoot fest... it's just made it bland. "Just one more game" has been replaced with "have I reached the requirement for the weekly bonus yet? I'm tired of this."

I had an insane amount of time in the first game, but the second game is just already failing to hold me even though I LOVE the smoothness, high res, and not-through-a-straw FOV of finally having a PC version.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#1623 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Starting through the KOTOR series. I never got around to 2 because it wasn't on mac for such a long time, but KOTOR 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, possibly my most favorite. I'm real sad that EA seems to be giving a proverbial frak you to Single Player games because I would love an experience like that again.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#1624 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:17 AM

Layers of Fear:creepy as hell! Best played in the dark with headphones, and wearing diapers just in case. Very disturbing (or disturbed?) game walking simulator.

#1625 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2462 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 04 November 2017 - 01:42 AM, said:

The developers explained (in the devs commentary) that the "walking simulator" expression first appeared when Dear Esther was released.

A few days after this discussion I was amused to see Thimbleweed Park's description:
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 3.49.14 PM.png

(For some reason Thimbleweed Park completely escaped my notice, even through its Kickstarter campaign. My thanks to Richard Moss's fascinating video games podcast for drawing it to my attention.)

Attached Files

Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#1626 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

I've used Skyrim as a hiking simulator a number of times.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1627 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:25 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 November 2017 - 08:40 PM, said:

I've used Skyrim as a hiking simulator a number of times.

This is how I use Ghost Recon: Wildlands (and why I don't seem to ever tire of it). Whenever I hike in real life, I'm like, "This would make a great sniping position. Look at that view. Wind is controlled, if you had good DOPE you could do kilometer shots all day. This would make a perfect position for an observation post. Cover is good and lines of sight are excellent. Man, can you imagine if there was an enemy base down there. That's a perfect spot if you were going to resupply the area. And yet there, there, and there would be perfect ingress routes. They'd never see you coming."

In the game, I can hike AND THEN GO AND DO THAT, OMG! ::snipes a sicario and flips out::
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.