#241 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

Good news!
  • OpenGL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon.
  • OpenCL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon when targeting the GPU. The OpenCL CPU device is not available to arm64 apps.
https://developer.ap...o_apple_silicon

#242 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8604 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:08 AM

View Postjeannot, on 28 June 2020 - 08:09 AM, said:

AMR Macs will support openGL and openCL. Apple made it clear in a WWDC session.
Too many apps rely on these APIs, and porting an app to Metal is probably harder than porting an app to 64 bits.
Yeah, but the way they stressed in several of the WWDC sessions that OpenGL and CL are deprecated and only "currently" still available, while at the same time urging developers to switch to Metal makes me think that it won't be too long before they are eventually removed.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#243 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• IMG Writers
  • 3021 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:15 AM

I finally upgraded to Catalina to resolve a nasty wake-from-sleep crash with eGPUs. (Though Mojave will probably get that fix eventually.) So I finally got to try Crossover running a 32-bit app on Catalina.

Humble's DoubleFine bundle reminded me that I had never played Costume Quest, so I tried that first. It ran so well it was freaky. My old Darwinia bottle also ran, no need to re-bottle it or change any settings.

The only downside was the Quest bottle was CPU heavy and immediately made my Mac Mini's fans run very loud. I would need to experiment some more to see if that's a universal problem. I'll try some other games soon.

Crossover thinks they will be able to run on Apple Silicon, but has not announced anything officially since the dev kits were released.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#244 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• IMG Writers
  • 3021 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:09 AM

Despite Steam telling me it is 32-bit, A Story About My Uncle runs just fine on Catalina.

Steam Client does not make it easy to report the mistake, however. It tells me to contact the game publisher for any issues.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#245 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 16 September 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

Despite Steam telling me it is 32-bit, A Story About My Uncle runs just fine on Catalina.

Steam Client does not make it easy to report the mistake, however. It tells me to contact the game publisher for any issues.

IIRC the silly way Valve implemented it, the developer needs to enable a flag to mark it compatible. So those warnings aren't always reliable.

#246 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• IMG Writers
  • 3021 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

View PostCougar, on 16 September 2020 - 01:23 PM, said:

IIRC the silly way Valve implemented it, the developer needs to enable a flag to mark it compatible. So those warnings aren't always reliable.
Maybe reporting it to the publisher will help, then. I'll do that, see if they take action.

It's annoying that I will have to install and try any game that has that warning. There should be three values for the compatibility flag: definitely works; definitely doesn't work; developer didn't set the flag either way.
www.mindthecube.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 32-bit, 64-bit, mojave, compatibility