Has Anyone Had this happen to your Mac?!?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

I have a Bootcamp partition with Windows 10 on it for a little over a year now. It's up to date on system updates as of today. On my late 2012 iMac, running the latest version of Mojave, I was watching a YouTube video this evening in macOS when my Mac seemed to freeze, go to a white screen, then after some seconds go to a black screen, and lo and behold, I saw the Windows logo, and my Mac booted into Windows on its own. I was puzzled by that behavior, and thought that maybe Windows needed some updates of some kind, but after checking, none were needed. I fired up Fortnite to check out game performance, and it's fine.

Has anyone ever had this happened to you, or heard of it happening to anyone else?!?

Thanks!

ETA: i did have some problems changing my startup disk from windows to mac a few days ago (Windows couldn't recognize my macOS startup disk) but holding down the option key during startup fixed it for me.

Brian
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#2 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:22 PM

It's possible that your mac just crashed (happens rarely but I've had it happen before) and then your computer just booted into windows because of the startup problems you described. Unless it keeps on happening I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Side note, probably not the right subforum for this kind of question. No big deal though.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:55 AM

That was my thought too: the crash/reboot itself is the main symptom, not the Windows part. Power fluctuation might account for it? There's a good chance you won't see it again.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#4 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

I think I may have found the trigger for it. I still had my Bootcamp partition selected in my Startup Disk panel in macOS, even though I had changed it back in Win10.

We'll see how it works now.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!