Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostAtticus, on 20 December 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

Welp, I hope it's not *too* bad, bc I have plans/tickets see it four times over the next two weeks.

My god.

#62 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:05 PM

Lol. Not sure how that happened....but....ordered tickets back in October for Saturday showing w/friends, then former boss has an extra ticket and asked if I wanted to go on Monday, then IMAX with my sister when she's in town over holidays, and then finally a fourth time with my wife and kids weekend of the 4th.

This happens every time a SW or Marvel movie is out. Phew.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#63 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:05 PM

Last time I saw a Star Wars movie was in 2002. The 4th and 5th movies were so bland I stopped watching after that. Guess I'm not a fan, haha.

#64 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1708 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:21 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 20 December 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

Last time I saw a Star Wars movie was in 2002. The 4th and 5th movies were so bland I stopped watching after that. Guess I'm not a fan, haha.

Nobody is a fan of the prequels. The Disney movies have major problems but they’re all much much better than the prequels.

View PostAtticus, on 20 December 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

This happens every time a SW or Marvel movie is out. Phew.

Or Marvel?? How are you not constantly in the theater?

#65 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

Aha, I should be. Luckily, not the case for every MCU movie. But I did end up seeing Infinity Wars and Endgame too many times.

#66 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:47 AM

OK, saw it last night and was.....not very good for many reasons.

#67 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1708 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

View PostAtticus, on 22 December 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

OK, saw it last night and was.....not very good for many reasons.

Well, now you’re committed. :P

#68 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8494 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 December 2019 - 12:39 PM

View PostCougar, on 21 December 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

Nobody is a fan of the prequels. The Disney movies have major problems but they're all much much better than the prequels.
I know it's hard to believe – I hardly can wrap my head around it myself – but there is actually a sizeable group of people really liking the prequels, some of them even believing they are better than the original trilogy. :bleedingeyes:

It's sad how deluded people can become…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#69 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:53 AM

Nobody is a fan of the prequels.

There's actually a fairly large minority who are, in fact, fans of the prequels.  I am not one of them, but neither am I a blinkered prequel-hater.  

The Disney movies have major problems but they're all much much better than the prequels.

... yeah, gonna have to agree to disagree here.  

The Phantom Menace is actually a pretty decent movie (and dont even start the "buuuuuutttt.. Jar Jar!"  nonsense.  He's SUPPOSED TO BE ludicrous, to show how deadly serious and awesome the other Gungans really are).  It has a few weak moments (Jake Lloyd was just not a good child actor, but then, its super rare to find really good child actors), but its actually a solid movie.  Its not up the standards of any of the three originals, but it isn't bad.  

Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are... watchable.  They aren't great, and theyre certainly not up to the standards of the original trilogy, but this is largely due to Lucas continuing to direct.  But theyre watchable.  Theyre not actively, turn-off-the-movie-even-though-you-pirated it bad.  

The same cannot be said of the new Disney Star Wars movies.  

The Force awakens is... watchable.  Like Ep 2 and 3.  Its watchable.  Its not great, but its watchable.  

The Last Jedi, Soylo, and Rise of Skywalker are raging, poop-filled, stinking-to-high heavens unwatchable drek.  Like... i pirated it and turned it off and deleted it it was so bad, bad.  TLJ has so many plot holes and so many deliberate "Screw you" to the fans (Hollywood - the only industry where it seems that you can tell your fans they are idiots for not liking what you made even though its objectively bad) that its just unbearable.  I cant ignore the inconsistencies, plot holes, and bad writing.  Its like a guy in Hunter Orange standing in front of me screaming 2" from my face (and deliberate ignoring or destruction of vital canon).  

Rogue One was actually good.  Better than anything else DIsney has done so far by far (other than perhaps The Mandalorian, but i haven't watched that as Im not paying for a dozen streaming services.  I cut the cord precisely so my bill would go DOWN).  

RoSkywalker.. dear god.  

Its so, so bad.  So. bad.  

Like, time to put Old Yeller down bad.  

Its both simultaneously trying too hard with fan service while still managing to be utterly disrespectful and destructive to the canon (and making Return of the Jedi irrelevant).  And the story is so full of plot holes there are more holes than real plot.  

View Postmacdude22, on 04 June 2018 - 06:50 AM, said:

Star Wars isn't sci-fi.

The series as a whole is not (its fantasy; The Force is magic), but Solo could be.  

If you replaced the names, itd just be a generic, watchable sci-fi action-adventure.

#70 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4210 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:15 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 22 December 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

I know it's hard to believe – I hardly can wrap my head around it myself – but there is actually a sizeable group of people really liking the prequels, some of them even believing they are better than the original trilogy. :bleedingeyes:

It's sad how deluded people can become…
I like the three prequels a LOT more than the most recent movies. They definitely also have their problems, but the world building, fantasy, and stories are so much deeper and more entertaining than the latest junk.

I can always watch the prequels, and I have had no interest in re-watching TFA or TLJ so far. They were just so.. Hollow. And the latter was also a story mess.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#71 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1708 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:46 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 23 December 2019 - 02:53 AM, said:

The Force awakens is... watchable.  Like Ep 2 and 3.  Its watchable.  Its not great, but its watchable.  

Rogue One was actually good.  Better than anything else DIsney has done so far by far (other than perhaps The Mandalorian, but i haven't watched that as Im not paying for a dozen streaming services.  I cut the cord precisely so my bill would go DOWN).  

Well, we agree on these two points at least.

Nobody will make me re-watch the prequels, though. I think both of you are choosing to have select amnesia/ nostalgia vision about how bad Lucas’ writing is—is there a line in the new trilogy worse than “I don’t like sand. It’s rough and course and irritating and it gets everywhere.”?

The only thing I can give the prequels credit for besides the technical achievements and some action sequences is having a vision that was adhered to. It just wasn’t a very good one.

#72 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:50 AM

Lol, no one will ever agree when it comes to SW, sadly. But personally, ANH is my sentimental favorite, Empire is my critical (most well-done) favorite, Phantom Menace and Clones are nigh on unwatchable, Sith is tolerable, Rogue is awesome, Solo is not bad, Return of the Jedi is pretty good, I like Force Awakens more than I should, TLJ is awful, and so is Rise of Skywalker.

#73 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 12:45 PM

Nobody is a fan of the prequels. The Disney movies have major problems but they're all much much better than the prequels.

I also am a big fan of the prequels. SW 1 to VI are favorites of mine. I have not liked them since. SW VII, Rogue One, VIII, and Solo have been disappointing.

#74 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3385 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:31 PM

The prequels have a lot of cringe writing/acting moments, but I still think that they are better "Star Wars" movies in the sense that their actual storyline, politics, world building, etc. all really improve the star wars universe as a whole. I mostly blame George Lucas for the terrible writing/acting in Ep 1-3 since I've seen a few different analysis videos over the years talking about just how much he would cut and splice different takes into looking like a single take, which just makes the talking/acting seem off. One scene in particular had like 6 different takes of Anakin speaking a single line of dialogue all morphed into looking like a single take, which of course just makes Hayden Christensen look/sound weird in that scene.

Rogue One I really enjoyed due to it tying directly into Ep4 while still being film that is entirely new and fresh in what it is presenting and gives really nice insights into the Empire and Rebellion and the events leading up to the original trilogy. Solo I thought was a fine movie, and I found it interesting in the world building it does for the Star Wars universe, but nothing too special.

The new trilogy (ep 7, 8, 9) however I found extremely disappointing:
  • Ep 7: is fine except for it is basically just a remake of A New Hope - i could forgive this if the rest of trilogy was fresh and interesting, but sadly it was not
  • Ep 8: this movie should really just be called Ep 7.1. Nothing really happens in it by the time the credits roll and it seemed to serve almost 0 purpose, especially since Ep 9 basically just ignores this entire movie and does it's own completely new story that didn't exist in 7/8. Literally the only thing of significance happening in Ep 8 is Rey/Kylo's force relationship being established. Everything that we thought would be significant (ex: Snoke) just turns out to not matter at all.
  • Ep 9: the entire plot line of Ep 9 just seems like the writers decided they didn't like Ep 7 and 8 very much so they just wanted to start a new story. The Palpatine reveal would have been interesting if there was an actual set up for it in the first 2 movies, but instead it was just a move that made no logical sense and seems to be done purely for nostalgia to get Palpatine back into the movie to sell some more tickets. The fact that they revealed him in the fraking trailer for the movie I think confirms this.
  • A general complaint about the entire trilogy is that everything just seemed WAY over the top. It's like they just dialed weapon power, force powers, ship size/power, underdog story of rebellion, etc. all up to way past 11 and decided that was what audiences really wanted. I am also really frustrated that they just decided to do overpowered empire vs weak rebellion all over again, while simultaneously taking a giant popsnizzle on the original trilogy's empire vs rebellion story line.
Prequel trilogy: has very cringe moments, but manages to have an interesting narrative about the politics and factions of the Star Wars galaxy and the fall of the Republic/JediOrder and the rise of powerful Sith (Palpatine/Vader)

Original trilogy: amazing for its time. Weaves a grand narrative about a rebellion and of the legend of the force/jedi in defeating the Sith and bringing peace to the galaxy

New trilogy: just re-do the original trilogy empire vs rebellion story while also taking a popsnizzle on the events of the original trilogy since apparently they don't really matter at all (Luke just being a grumpy old dude with 0 significance, palpatine not actually being defeated, empire not actually being defeated, etc.)
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X