• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 cocoabsb

cocoabsb

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:41 PM

Hi,

On May 20,2003, a certain Mr. Peter Tamte, from what is now Macsoftgames, was interviewed by Lucian Fong (http://www.insidemac...p?ID=232&Page=2) and gave the following statement about the porting efforts of MS-Flight Simulator for Mac:

"We talked about Microsoft Flight Simulator in passing and Peter said it will not ship in the next year. "I really wish I could be more specific about when Microsoft Flight Sim will ship for Macintosh," he added. "I will say that there are enormous technical challenges to shipping [it], but it is something that I personally want to make sure that we do it. I just cannot make promises."

Since we are now in 2005 I wonder what the status of that huge challenge is.

Does anyone have any news on the status of that porting? Are the guys at Macsoftgames really working on that porting? Can we wait for that porting to happen any time soon?

I think Macsoftgames should release information, on a regular basis, concerning the products they are working on. There is no need for dates, but I think they should only say what they are doing, which projects they are working on and so forth. That would be nice, because we could plan what to do in terms of purchasing games for MAC. For instance, if I knew now that Macsoftgames keeps working hard on the porting of Flight Simulator for MAC, I would not purchase any top PC computer now and would wait 1 or 2 years more, since I would rather purchase another MAC (a more powerful one) to be able to run Flight Simulator on it instead of purchasing a PC only for Flight Simulator.

Thanks.

#2 kiwitheiwik

kiwitheiwik

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:46 PM

Well - Microsoft and co. can KEEP their flight simulator, now that WE have...

...X-Plane V8!!!

It's got ALL the same features of MSFS, and it's got a GREAT support network - with free downloadable scenery and aircraft - of which you can get here.

Some say the only thing REALLY missing from X-Plane is the amazing amount of scenery and detailed airports that you can obtain for MSFS.  Soon (hopefully), you can even get THAT - there's a plugin available for the Windows version of X-Plane that can accept MSFS scenery files too, and soon the author of the plugin will be porting it over to the Mac (if we're all nice enough to him, of course!).

So - thanks for the offer, Mr. Tamte - but it's too little, too late.

I'm off to do some circuits around Auckland Airport in a 737...

;)

#3 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 03:03 PM

I am SOOOOOOOOO tempted to get version 8! Right now I have version 7.63 but the scenery improved this much from version 7 to 8. It's certainly worth the money!

#4 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:04 PM

Got Enemy Engaged, don't need MS Flightsimulator 2xxx.

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:50 PM

kiwitheiwik, on February 16th 2005, 01:46 PM, said:

Well - Microsoft and co. can KEEP their flight simulator, now that WE have...

...X-Plane V8!!!
It's got ALL the same features of MSFS, and it's got a GREAT support network - with free downloadable scenery and aircraft - of which you can get here.

Some say the only thing REALLY missing from X-Plane is the amazing amount of scenery and detailed airports that you can obtain for MSFS.  Soon (hopefully), you can even get THAT - there's a plugin available for the Windows version of X-Plane that can accept MSFS scenery files too, and soon the author of the plugin will be porting it over to the Mac (if we're all nice enough to him, of course!).

So - thanks for the offer, Mr. Tamte - but it's too little, too late.

I'm off to do some circuits around Auckland Airport in a 737...

;)

View Post

Darn right! I've owned versions 5/6/7 and am just about to buy 8. X-Plane rules. And since I had a pilots license back in the early 1980s and am a former ATC guy in CYYZ I do know what I'm on about. Anyway, I wasn't aware that the fsimp plugin was coming to the Mac as soon as the developer can lay his hands on one (a Mac) for testing etc. I'm almost tempted to send the guy a Mac myself if it'd get it done faster.

I know there's been big improvements in the v8 scenery, but can someone hopp up to CYVR (Vancouver Int'l) and take off then turn north to fly over Vancouver and take a look at the city? In previous versions of X-Plane, most of the downtown building were offset so that most were in the middle of English Bay. has that been corrected in 8? Austin??

kiwitheiwik, I'm now off to fly my usual Dash 8 Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Toronto run.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 cocoabsb

cocoabsb

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:45 PM

DaveyJJ, on February 22nd 2005, 09:50 PM, said:

Darn right! I've owned versions 5/6/7 and am just about to buy 8. X-Plane rules. And since I had a pilots license back in the early 1980s and am a former ATC guy in CYYZ I do know what I'm on about. Anyway, I wasn't aware that the fsimp plugin was coming to the Mac as soon as the developer can lay his hands on one (a Mac) for testing etc. I'm almost tempted to send the guy a Mac myself if it'd get it done faster.

I know there's been big improvements in the v8 scenery, but can someone hopp up to CYVR (Vancouver Int'l) and take off then turn north to fly over Vancouver and take a look at the city? In previous versions of X-Plane, most of the downtown building were offset so that most were in the middle of English Bay. has that been corrected in 8? Austin??

kiwitheiwik, I'm now off to fly my usual Dash 8 Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Toronto run.

View Post

I am talking real flight sim, not the ones you fly a 747 airplane just like a cessna, which happens on X-Plane. I purchased X-Plane prior to purchasing MS-Flight Simulator and almost gave up on using Flight Sims. But then, a friend of mine gave me a copy of MS-FS2002 and then I could experience a real flight sim. Now, I don't even think about X-Plane, I don't even consider using it on my Mac again. The only bad thing about MS-FS2004 is that it only runs on PCs. But, one day, if Mr. Peter Tamte fulfills his promise, I will be able to experience MS-FS2006 on my MAC.

Sorry.

#7 simfish

simfish

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:33 PM

I was slightly annoyed after a bought version 7 as they released version 8 2 months after I bought it. :angry:   I will defiantly be getting version 8 though it looks so much better.

Also you've got to love this picture

http://www.x-plane.com/weapon.html

#8 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:09 AM

cocoabsb, on February 28th 2005, 03:45 PM, said:

I am talking real flight sim, not the ones you fly a 747 airplane just like a cessna, which happens on X-Plane. I purchased X-Plane prior to purchasing MS-Flight Simulator and almost gave up on using Flight Sims. But then, a friend of mine gave me a copy of MS-FS2002 and then I could experience a real flight sim. Now, I don't even think about X-Plane, I don't even consider using it on my Mac again. The only bad thing about MS-FS2004 is that it only runs on PCs. But, one day, if Mr. Peter Tamte fulfills his promise, I will be able to experience MS-FS2006 on my MAC.

Sorry.

View Post

You know, though, a 747 flies a lot like a Cessna? The thing is fully aerobatic-rated. X-Plane is the bottom line for realism, take it from me and the thousands of other pilots who know.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

What is the difference between the way the two flight sims represent the 747 flying characteristics?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:58 AM

yomoooo, on February 16th 2005, 02:03 PM, said:

I am SOOOOOOOOO tempted to get version 8! Right now I have version 7.63 but the scenery improved this much from version 7 to 8. It's certainly worth the money!

View Post

Can somebody tell me how "fun" X-plane is from a non-flightgeek point of view? I'd love to just fly around in Jet Fighters with my keyboard and mouse simply for the fun of handling the jet and seeing the terrain; is this possible, or do I need to have a joystick, follow flightpaths, and basically act as if I was flying the real thing, ie, with extreme caution? Just wondering.

#11 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:40 AM

Yes, you can fly X-Plane with mouse. But joystick will definately make the experience more rewarding ... and of course, pedals add the fun factor.

By the way, you can download the demo for X-plane and see for yourself what it is all about. The demo is excactly the same program as the full copy, but your controlling devices are limited to 6 minutes flight. After that you can fly with autopilot, though. www.x-plane.com

There is a great community of helpful and resourceful people that use and develope aircraft for X-Plane. You are welcome to visit us at http://forums.x-plane.org/ :)

#12 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:49 PM

dehulk_9000, on March 3rd 2005, 07:09 AM, said:

You know, though, a 747 flies a lot like a Cessna? The thing is fully aerobatic-rated. X-Plane is the bottom line for realism, take it from me and the thousands of other pilots who know.

I wasn't aware it was fully aerobatic rated. Still wouldn't want to try a simple loop in one though. And I wouldn't want to try a stall and subsequent spin recovery I've done numerous times in C152s from a few thousand feet  ;)

The 737-300 model available from xplanefreeware.net is extremely realistic, according to a 737 pilot I know from my days of working ATC in Toronto.

Are you seriously telling me the flight models in MSFS2004 are better than X-Plane's? Why is X-Plane the only consumer-priced software that has ever gotten FAA approval for training towards an airline transport certificate?

One day, I'd really like to site down with, say a couple more heavy pilots (say, someone with 10 years flying Airbus 320s, and someone else flying 737s, and a 747 pilot) and really have a go at the two programs and see which comes out on top for various things. I've done an exhaustive web search and no one has really done that.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#13 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:33 PM

There is something oddly satisfying about making it to the edge of space in X-Plane. The sky starts to darken. The clouds fall away. Stars fill the sky one by one. For just a game, I feel very alone at that point.

#14 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:32 AM

And it's Made on a Mac™. Just keeps looking better and better!

The biggest thing, I think, is the eye candy that MSFS users get as it's a hugely-funded commercial venture. It's nice to look at, fun to fly, but not a particularly serious sim.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#15 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:28 AM

Another fun thing with X-Plane is to fly formation. Just flew last weekend four ship formation with the latest release of excellent P-51.

If you're interested X-Plane.org thread with screenshots of formation flying can be found here.
Unfortunately the link to the plug-in download seems currently unavailable... Sorry! :(

#16 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

the Battle Cat, on March 3rd 2005, 12:28 PM, said:

What is the difference between the way the two flight sims represent the 747 flying characteristics?

Now I may be wrong here, but don't all versions of MSFS (even up to 2004 or century of Flight or whatever) still use table-based flight characteristics instead of the way X-Plane does by actually driving wind across all the aircraft surfaces and calculating a craft's flight parameters?

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:57 PM

Holy cow.  That's the way to do it.  How much processor time does that suck up?

[Edit] This must be how they implement the experimental aircraft you build.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:55 AM

The way Austin Meyer has it, not very much ;) The thing is so supremely optimised, especially for the G5, it runs like a dream.

#19 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:10 AM

Little more about X-Plane development...
(Sorry, if I'm boring everybody already.)  :blush:

The new scenery engine of XP 8.xx is very powerful, just look at the development screenshots of X-Plane 8.10: here.  :blink: Looks pretty darn good to me.  :)

#20 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:32 PM

Ari, on March 8th 2005, 08:10 AM, said:

The new scenery engine of XP 8.xx is very powerful, just look at the development screenshots of X-Plane 8.10: here:blink: Looks pretty darn good to me.  :)

Yikes, I didn't know that was coming. That's simply amazing scenery (when compared to all past X-Plane scenery attempts). When are those going to be available?!

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi