DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

I just happened to notice this short resurrected thread over on MacRumors. Note the response at the bottom of the thread from Blair at Aspyr. The first CoH game was broken by Yosemite, a patch was being worked on, it was never completed and now with El Capitan they no longer have rights to work on the game at all for some reason. I checked and note it is not available on the Mac App Store anymore.

http://forums.macrum.../#post-22193886

Too bad. It was not very long before this that they'd finally added in skirmish that people had been wanting for a long time. I foolishly bought this on a sale intending to play it later when I got around to that. You can't do this in Apple-land. They break games left and right on an annual basis if not more often. For example, here's the known breakage just from Aspyr for El Capitan:
  • Borderlands 2 Steam: Shift isn't connecting properly.
  • BL: TPS Steam: Shift isn't connecting properly.
  • COD: Black Ops: Random crashing in SP/Freezing after dying in SP
  • C&C: Generals Deluxe: Crashing after upgrading to OSX 10.11.
  • GAME CENTER app enabled MP games (MAS ONLY) are unable to view or join hosted games on 10.11.

Of these, Generals is recent release too but none of them is so old they should be broken. I find this unacceptable. You do not see this so commonly in Windows where breakage tends to affect only very old games and amazingly many of those over a decade old still work just fine.

Although one could legitimately argue it is smart anyway, it is especially smart for a Mac gamer to only buy a game they are going to play right now not put off until later such as many including myself do when sales come up. We play roulette with a nearly loaded gun with OS X, Windows users have one bullet in theirs and console users have zero. They win every time on this score. Guess who I am joining this spring with a new Xbox?

I am mad but I should be mad at myself I guess. Like most normal people though I don't like doing that. I prefer to direct the blame pretty much anywhere else that i can and in this case I find it very easy to blame Apple for their near complete disregard for backwards compatibility. Everything is throwaway to them including the hardware.

Sorry. I needed to get a little rant off my chest. I was slow to be sure but I was looking forward to playing this game. Oh, well. Lesson learned. My stock up on sale days are over. They already were pretty much anyway as I had accumulated too many titles but this really seals the deal for me. Shift codes I don't care about but CoH, Black Ops and C&C Generals I do. It's too late for CoH but maybe if I hurry I can play the other games i own before Apple breaks those too.

I have never looked into this before but maybe I can install Mavericks on my USB drive and use that to play stuff broken by Yosemite and El Capitan. It has two partitions. One has misc. redundant backed up stuff on it and the other could be wiped for an OS install if that is possible to do and boot from. Maybe I will write a post elsewhere asking how that is done if it can be.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:09 PM

I sympathise. I have a bunch of games that I enjoyed that were broken by the removal of Rosetta (which happened four years ago, although this seems like a lifetime in terms of OS X updates. Which is the problem in a nutshell). Some of these work ok-ish with WINE, others not at all. More recently, Tomb Raider Underworld has been broken by El Cap. (edit - TR:U is fixed - see thread for details)

And bizarrely, Apple continues to sell buggy and/or broken software on its App store; Majesty 2 is an example of this, which has been broken for years.

These days I mostly stick to the indie RPG scene and GoG re-releases. These games are cheap and cheerful, and tend to survive major system updates. I guess their simplicity helps here. I play WoW/Diablo too; I have a degree of faith in Blizzard's Mac support (Overwatch notwithstanding). That said, I'm not prepared to make the switch to Windows, nor a console (no TV in this house), as much of my gaming is in small chunks here and there nowadays, and I cannot justify the expense.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 04 November 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

Guess who I am joining this spring with a new Xbox?

There is no shame in a seXybox. Crackdown 3 is coming out soon. *heavy breathing*

That current holiday bundle is dope.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:49 AM

View Postnick68k, on 04 November 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

I sympathise. I have a bunch of games that I enjoyed that were broken by the removal of Rosetta (which happened four years ago, although this seems like a lifetime in terms of OS X updates. Which is the problem in a nutshell). Some of these work ok-ish with WINE, others not at all. More recently, Tomb Raider Underworld has been broken by El Cap.

And bizarrely, Apple continues to sell buggy and/or broken software on its App store; Majesty 2 is an example of this, which has been broken for years.

These days I mostly stick to the indie RPG scene and GoG re-releases. These games are cheap and cheerful, and tend to survive major system updates. I guess their simplicity helps here. I play WoW/Diablo too; I have a degree of faith in Blizzard's Mac support (Overwatch notwithstanding). That said, I'm not prepared to make the switch to Windows, nor a console (no TV in this house), as much of my gaming is in small chunks here and there nowadays, and I cannot justify the expense.

Swell. I own both both Tomb Raider Underworld and Majesty 2 and of course have not gotten to either of them yet. :(

What is the problem with Tomb Raider Underworld? I just fired it up and it does at least start without any problem. Majesty 2 I don't have installed presently although I did play it for a bit some time ago. I forget what version of OS X I played it on though. I am thinking probably it was on Mavericks. What is the problem with Majesty 2 specifically?

Really, I am seeing a future of me enjoying Spiderweb RPGs on a MacBook Air and playing Xbox games. Why cause myself angst?

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:15 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 04 November 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

There is no shame in a seXybox. Crackdown 3 is coming out soon. *heavy breathing*

That current holiday bundle is dope.

Oh, I have no shame at all, not about the SexyBox either! Haha! I am very much looking forward to it although I think I may first buy a 360 and play the Bethesda RPGs on it along with Halo Reach and Red Dead Redemption plus some other titles I had on Windows that I once again deleted. It's only a little over two hundred bucks and includes a couple Call of Duty games as well. I am just sick of windows, rebooting, it constantly updating and wanting to reboot overtime, etc.

I'll move up to an Xbox One after I play the stuff out of the 360 catalog I'd like to. Another bonus is the 360 titles are all dirt cheap now as well on Amazon which is niceness in GOTY Editions with all DLC, etc. Although I know the gameplay is a little different, I'm going to ditch the hard cider port of Dragon Age Origins and play the complete on the 360 also. I'll do the rest of my Halo catching up with the Masterchief Collection on the Xbox One later on but I noticed Halo Reach isn't available there so I can do that on the 360.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8085 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:24 AM

• Borderlands 2 Steam: Shift isn't connecting properly.
  • BL: TPS Steam: Shift isn't connecting properly.
To my knowledge, the most recent patch fixed this.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:34 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 November 2015 - 02:24 AM, said:

To my knowledge, the most recent patch fixed this.

Maybe they just haven't updated their site to reflect this yet then. It still lists those as issues.

Checking over the games I own by Aspyr I am good other than the ones I already listed with one apparent addition which is Duke Nukem isn't listed as El Capitan compatible either. According to their support info if something is supported, they indicate it as such and I'm not sure if Duke made the cut for Yosemite even.

I wrote to Feral support asking for info on any known games with issues considering I own most of their titles.

#8 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:12 AM

TR:U may be a retina display problem. The only video option on start up is 640*480, and the game then crashes when I select this. I haven't played it with a non-4K/El Cap system, so you may have more luck.

The Majesty 2 bug is particularly annoying. In the the middle of a game, apparently at random, all ground textures disappear and are replaced by blue squares. The game then hangs shortly thereafter. It's sporadic, so you may be able to play for hours without experiencing it. This is not just an El Cap problem; I experienced it under Yosemite too. I've reported it on several occasions, but no feedback from the publishers so far.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 05 November 2015 - 02:15 AM, said:

Oh, I have no shame at all, not about the SexyBox either! Haha! I am very much looking forward to it although I think I may first buy a 360 and play the Bethesda RPGs on it along with Halo Reach and Red Dead Redemption plus some other titles I had on Windows that I once again deleted. It's only a little over two hundred bucks and includes a couple Call of Duty games as well. I am just sick of windows, rebooting, it constantly updating and wanting to reboot overtime, etc.

I'll move up to an Xbox One after I play the stuff out of the 360 catalog I'd like to. Another bonus is the 360 titles are all dirt cheap now as well on Amazon which is niceness in GOTY Editions with all DLC, etc. Although I know the gameplay is a little different, I'm going to ditch the hard cider port of Dragon Age Origins and play the complete on the 360 also. I'll do the rest of my Halo catching up with the Masterchief Collection on the Xbox One later on but I noticed Halo Reach isn't available there so I can do that on the 360.

Xbox 360 Backwards compatibility releases next week on xbox one with over 100 initial titles (Reach will be one I believe). You may want to hold off on a 360 and see if the games you desire will be available via BC.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8085 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 05 November 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Maybe they just haven't updated their site to reflect this yet then. It still lists those as issues.
According to Aspyr, it's fixed.

View Postnick68k, on 05 November 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

TR:U may be a retina display problem. The only video option on start up is 640*480, and the game then crashes when I select this.
That does sound a lot like a problem I had with some Feral games on various other OS X upgrades, so not El Capitan specific. You should be able to fix this by deleting the game's preferences.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 November 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

Xbox 360 Backwards compatibility releases next week on xbox one with over 100 initial titles (Reach will be one I believe). You may want to hold off on a 360 and see if the games you desire will be available via BC.

Wow! That is so cool. Man, if Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Oblivion and Skyrim along with ideally Red Dead Redemption are available I will be so happy. Halo Reach as well but somehow I figure that one must be in the list. Dragon Age Origins would be a plus but I can play the hard cider port if need be. It does work here so far anyway. Oh, yeah. That would be some kind of sweet for sure. Thanks for telling me that good news.

Where is a good source for Xbox news to keep up with such things, game announcements for the system, etc.?

View PostJanichsan, on 05 November 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

According to Aspyr, it's fixed.

That does sound a lot like a problem I had with some Feral games on various other OS X upgrades, so not El Capitan specific. You should be able to fix this by deleting the game's preferences.

That's kind of funny because according to Aspyr it isn't: http://support.aspyr...-11-El-Capitan-

but of course, your post would be the correct one. That just made me laugh that GameAgent has the info but support does not.

#12 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 November 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

That's encouraging. I'll give it a go.

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

I am just have major nelson and pure xbox bookmarked.

http://majornelson.com
http://www.purexbox.com

It is up to publishers to sign on for BC but since Bethesda is on board with Fallout 3 I expect the rest of their games will follow eventually. But currently only Fallout 3 is confirmed for the release next week. Microsoft has stated they want all their published games on BC (i.e. Reach).

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 November 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

I am just have major nelson and pure xbox bookmarked.

http://majornelson.com
http://www.purexbox.com

It is up to publishers to sign on for BC but since Bethesda is on board with Fallout 3 I expect the rest of their games will follow eventually. But currently only Fallout 3 is confirmed for the release next week. Microsoft has stated they want all their published games on BC (i.e. Reach).

Oh, how sweet it is! Yeah, I can't imagine they'd do Fallout 3 and not the rest of them which must be even more popular. Well, I don't know as Oblivion is but I'd think New Vegas and Skyrim have to be. This is such great news. I had no idea! I love you man!!! And I'm not even drunk.

Oh, and I just bookmarked those two sites to peruse later whilst I dream of laying on the couch adventuring and such.

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

My Gamertag is Rakden whenever you get your buxybox.

http://www.trueachie...?gamerid=537270

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:05 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 November 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

My Gamertag is Rakden whenever you get your buxybox.

http://www.trueachie...?gamerid=537270

Noted. :teehee:

I think you just want to beat me up online.

Hey, are all those 360 compatible titles going to be online download stuff where special releases are being it made it sounds like supporting it? Can you use copies bought offline from Amazon or you need stuff bought from their online store?

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8085 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

View Postnick68k, on 05 November 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

Just to specify: you'll have to delete the whole settings folder in Application Support (after salvaging your saved games, of course).

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

View Postnick68k, on 05 November 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

I mentioned you reporting an issue before you'd clarified further what it was to Feral in my email asking about any known issues. They wrote me back today informing me there really aren't any related to El Capitan beyond needing to log into Game Center sometimes if a problem arises launching a game. They specifically mentioned no known issues with Tomb Raider Underworld other than one involving dual displays which they are working to fix. They asked me for a link to this thread to clarify this stuff so I'm sending it along to them.

Hopefully deleting prefs will do the trick in the meantime.

It's nice to know all their stuff is good and almost all Aspyr stuff is good. I guess the sky isn't falling. I was just bummed about CoH. A Mavericks install to my external USB 3.0 drive will fix that for me. :D

#19 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

I just happened to notice this short resurrected thread over on MacRumors. Note the response at the bottom of the thread from Blair at Aspyr. The first CoH game was broken by Yosemite, a patch was being worked on, it was never completed and now with El Capitan they no longer have rights to work on the game at all for some reason.

I don't get this. You would think with Apple's aggressive yearly upgrade cycle and disregard for compatibility Aspyr would legally ensure that it has the rights to constantly update the game. It makes them look bad--the game didn't come out that long ago.

I imagine it might have to do with THQ's bankruptcy, though. As usual, lawyers ruin everything. And another reason to avoid the MAS--I'd never buy a Mac-only AAA game for reasons like this.

#20 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 05 November 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

I mentioned you reporting an issue before you'd clarified further what it was to Feral in my email asking about any known issues. They wrote me back today informing me there really aren't any related to El Capitan beyond needing to log into Game Center sometimes if a problem arises launching a game. They specifically mentioned no known issues with Tomb Raider Underworld other than one involving dual displays which they are working to fix. They asked me for a link to this thread to clarify this stuff so I'm sending it along to them.

Thanks man. I will report back (after I redownload the game following my rage-deletion last night...). For reference it's a 4K 21.5" iMac running 10.11.1.