UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:37 AM

Frictional have announced their next horror sequel, Amnesia: Rebirth
[media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiQAlGUw_o[/media[/media]]

A link to its Steam page to Wishlist the game is listed via their Discord.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:23 AM

FWIW the press release doesn't mention Mac or Linux versions, but the Steam page does.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:38 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 06 March 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

FWIW the press release doesn't mention Mac or Linux versions, but the Steam page does.

Glad they're even supporting those ever-elusive AMD FX Macs!

Hope this is good. I preferred the second Amnesia's story (which Frictional didn't make) to the first, but that game had no gameplay. SOMA, their last game, didn't have any gameplay either, but had an awesome story. Hopefully this game will have both (not that there is anything wrong with walking sims).

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:06 AM

Mac version is cancelled due to OpenGL and audio issues: https://frictionalga...tyriRtuCBx7xs7g

#5 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:10 AM

Aww crap. I'm too much of a scaredy cat to have purchased it anyway. I was looking forward to it after SOMA.

Side note; Here's the link with what appears to be your Facebook-linked metadata removed. "fbclid" probably stands for Facebook Client Identification.

Another side note, from the responses. One stated they should switch to Unreal Engine while another points out the time constraints of learning the new system. If I'm not mistaken Frictional pride themselves on using their own graphics engine (HPL that supports OpenGL) and, besides the time constraints, I'm sure they'd have to consider the viability of paying licensing and/or royalty fees.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:59 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 12 March 2021 - 02:10 AM, said:

Another side note, from the responses. One stated they should switch to Unreal Engine while another points out the time constraints of learning the new system. If I'm not mistaken Frictional pride themselves on using their own graphics engine (HPL that supports OpenGL) and, besides the time constraints, I'm sure they'd have to consider the viability of paying licensing and/or royalty fees.
All valid points, though you have to sell quite a few copies before you owe royalties for Unreal Engine. Unity forces you to buy Pro licenses for your devs if you hit 100,000 in sales, but no royalties.

Should they switch? Given the problem they are having with their third party vendor for audio, and their dependence on OpenGL, I'd say yes. It would also let them get help and hire expertise more easily.

But it's not an easy step to take, and clearly it's not happening for this title.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#7 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 13 March 2021 - 03:23 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 12 March 2021 - 02:59 PM, said:

Should they switch? Given the problem they are having with their third party vendor for audio, and their dependence on OpenGL, I'd say yes. It would also let them get help and hire expertise more easily.

That's assuming sales for Macs would compensate the additional development cost (even if there's no license or royalties).

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:25 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 13 March 2021 - 03:23 AM, said:

That's assuming sales for Macs would compensate the additional development cost (even if there's no license or royalties).
True, though they might pick up other platforms "for cheap" as well. Switching is expensive at first, but in the long term it should be cheaper than doing it all yourself. (And they've already outsourced audio apparently.)

To clarify: I'm not suggesting they switch engines for Rebirth. I was referring to their long term strategy.

www.mindthecube.com

#9 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:29 PM

On kind of a side note, Frictional Games' blog claims SOMA – sold over 1 million copies on PC.

Considering this thread I felt the final paragraph of the post poignant;

Frictional – A two project studio

Looking to the future we are truly hyped. The project of developing Rebirth has really laid the organizational groundwork for how we as a studio can work moving forward and we have just initiated production on the next game (which has now had tons of pre-production time during Rebirth) and we’re kicking off pre-production on a second project as we speak.

#10 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 01:06 AM

Frictional games have pretty modest hardware requirement. Frictional could release a version working on Macs + iPads, whose profits may compensate the costs of porting to Metal. SSD space requirement are high though (for an iPads). That's always the problem with games.

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:16 AM

The headline writes itself: "Amnesia: Rebirth for Mac Aborted"

www.mindthecube.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amnesia, frictional, rebirth, horror, scary, sequel