2754 replies to this topic

#2741 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

Just 3... no, 2 more posts and we beat the The Official Marathon 4 Beta Particle Feedback Loop to most replies on a topic on IMG.

You are right, upcoming games or upcoming updates, who cares...

#2742 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

Hmm...I'm not up-to-date with what Feral's up to, but I see that LoTR:War in the North has disappeared at some point from the App store and Feral's site. That's also toast I'm guessing?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2743 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:58 PM

WE BROKE THE RECORD
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#2744 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:10 PM

View Postnick68k, on 04 December 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Hmm...I'm not up-to-date with what Feral's up to, but I see that LoTR:War in the North has disappeared at some point from the App store and Feral's site. That's also toast I'm guessing?

Yep, 'War in the North' was removed at the end of last year.
But this isn't really anything new. At the end of the year it does happen that some titles are dropped, usually due to licensing issues/deals.
I think 2016 it was 'F1 2013', 'GRID' and 'DiRT 3'.
2017 it was 'F1 2012', 'LEGO Lord of the Rings', 'LEGO Hobbit' and 'Lord of the Rings: War in the North'.

This time it's just a different reason and lots of them.

#2745 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

View Postipickert55, on 04 December 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

WE BROKE THE RECORD

APPLE BROKE MY GAMES*

*will break.
** at some stage.

#2746 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

View Postnick68k, on 04 December 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

Argh!
Yeah, it sucks when you have to boot another OS to play a game.
Thanks, Apple...

#2747 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 04 December 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

Unfortunately, it's one of the games that will be hit by the 64 bit apocalypse for sure:

Interesting are the games which are not on this list, though, including LEGO Star Wars Complete, Bioshock 2 (not Remastered), and – in fact – Borderlands 1.

View Postjos, on 04 December 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

Unfortunately Tomb Raider: Anniversary isn't going to get som 64-bit and Metal love. Today they posted a news article listing the games that will be removed from digital stores on or before the 31st of December:
http://www.feralinte...om/en/news/933/

Apparently these games aren't going to get the 64-bit treatment:
- Battlestations: Midway
- Battlestations: Pacific
- BioShock
- Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
- GRID 2
- LEGO Batman
- LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
- LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Indiana Jones 2
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- Mini Ninjas
- Rayman Origins
- SEGA Superstars Tennis
- Sid Meier's Pirates!
- Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
- The LEGO Movie Videogame
- Tomb Raider: Anniversary
- Tomb Raider: Underworld

So, I think we'll now know which games are going to be updated and which games aren't. Mafia II for example is listed on my Mac as a 32-bit app, but it's not on their list of games which will go out of sale, so then I expect it will be updated.

I went to the Mac App Store to view the games they've released sorted by release date and see which games won't make the cut. These are their games on the Mac App Store sorted by date with those that'll go out of sale by the end of the year in red:
- Mini Ninjas
- LEGO Indiana Jones 2
- LEGO Star Wars Saga
- Sid Meier's Pirates!
- Battlestations: Midway
- LEGO Batman
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- Battlestations: Pacific
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- BioShock
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Ultimate Edition
- Tomb Raider: Underworld
- Borderlands Game Of The Year
- LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
- LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4
- Tropico 3: Gold Edition
- Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
- SEGA Superstars Tennis
- Tomb Raider
- Rayman Origins
- Tropico 4: Gold Edition
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
- Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
- The LEGO Movie Videogame
- XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition
- GRID 2
- LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
- Total War: SHOGUN 2 Collection
- Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Fall of the Samurai Collection
- LEGO Jurassic World
- BioShock 2
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY
- Alien: Isolation - The Collection
- Batman: Arkham City GOTY
- Tomb Raider: Anniversary
- Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition
- Thief: Shadow Edition
- Mafia II: Director's Cut
- Hitman: Absolution - Elite Edition
- GRID Autosport
- Mad Max
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Napoleon: Total War - Gold Edition
- Empire: Total War - Gold Edition
- XCOM 2
- Rome: Total War - Gold Edition
- F1 2016
- LEGO Marvel's Avengers
- BioShock Remastered
- Total War: WARHAMMER
- F1 2017
- DiRT Rally
- Life is Strange
- Sid Meier's Railroads!
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2
- THRONES OF BRITANNIA
- Before the Storm
- Company of Heroes 2 Collection
- Warhammer 40K: DoW III
- Medieval II: Total War

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham was released on the 26th of March 2015 and Total War: SHOGUN 2 Collection on the 8th of July 2015. They seem to have drawn the line in the middle of 2015. Most games released before that date won't be updated. It's interesting to see that LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 will go out of sale by the end of the year while LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 apparently will be updated. Apparently LEGO Star Wars Sage will also be updated even though it's one of their oldest games (it was released on the 21 of July 2011) and many other LEGO games won't be updated. All games with a release after the first half of 2015 will apparently be updated with the only exception of Tomb Raider: Anniversary.

It's a real shame Tomb Raider: Anniversary won't be updated to 64-bit. The other games I don't actually care about, but Tomb Raider: Anniversary is a game I would've liked to see getting an update.

[EDIT]
I've spend too much time writing my post. I was beaten by Janichsan. :P
[/EDIT]

Very pleased that Borderlands GOTY, Deus Ex: HR and Lego Star Wars Saga seem to make the cut.

But I guess I'll have to hurry and buy TR: Underworld to get it into my MAS purchases while it lasts.. I do already own the game on Steam, but unfortunately unlike TR: Anniversary, that doesn't include the Mac version.

It's a shame for all those titles that don't make it, but well, one can always keep around a Mojave install on a second partition or an external drive.
Devices I play games on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 8 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors) — 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine

iPhone X — 256 GB | Silver
iPhone 5s — 32 GB | Space Gray
iPad Pro (10.5-inch) — 256 GB | Space Gray
iPad Air 2 — 64 GB | Space Gray
iPad — 16 GB
iPod touch (3rd generation) — 32 GB
iPod touch — 8 GB
Apple Watch (1st generation) — 42 mm | Stainless Steel (Yes, there's games for watchOS)

#2748 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

This all reminds me of when NWN2 got removed from the MAS forever ago, I shed many tears that day.

I'm glad I decided to go all in on PC gaming because of stuff like this though. I'll still buy on win game store though and maybe even Feral sometime if they're offering steam keys.

#2749 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

View Postipickert55, on 04 December 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

This all reminds me of when NWN2 got removed from the MAS forever ago, I shed many tears that day.

I'm glad I decided to go all in on PC gaming because of stuff like this though. I'll still buy on win game store though and maybe even Feral sometime if they're offering steam keys.

Yeah there's a certain irony when 'it just works' refers to playing your favourite games on a PC. Still, this is the price of progress, or something.

#2750 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

View Postnick68k, on 04 December 2018 - 09:20 PM, said:

Yeah there's a certain irony when 'it just works' refers to playing your favourite games on a PC. Still, this is the price of progress, or something.

I always check pc gaming wiki whenever i start playing a game to see what kinda fixes I need to put in, and there's sometimes some optional subjective stuff, sometimes some really necessary stuff, but I feel like 80% of the time most games are fine right off the bat. Still I think that price is worth it to have most of the games I want to play in one place (I better get you on here one day Master Chief Collection).

#2751 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:58 PM

View Postipickert55, on 04 December 2018 - 09:25 PM, said:

I always check pc gaming wiki whenever i start playing a game to see what kinda fixes I need to put in, and there's sometimes some optional subjective stuff, sometimes some really necessary stuff, but I feel like 80% of the time most games are fine right off the bat. Still I think that price is worth it to have most of the games I want to play in one place (I better get you on here one day Master Chief Collection).

For me there's only a handful of games that I really enjoy playing. I've spent the past 20 years or so playing the Infinity Engine games, Spiderweb stuff, various Diablo incarnations, NWN, the Tomb Raider series, and WoW. These are (generally) well supported on the Mac, and the activities of Beamdog have resurrected the IE + NWN series. I'm grateful for this.

I spend a lot of money on cheap,shiny stuff from GoG, but tbh, many of these games are dross, or perhaps I'm just not as easily amused now (although there's the occasional diamond). So yeah...the relative stability of PC gaming has its appeal. Broken software is never fun.

#2752 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:43 PM

View Postnick68k, on 04 December 2018 - 09:58 PM, said:

For me there's only a handful of games that I really enjoy playing. I've spent the past 20 years or so playing the Infinity Engine games, Spiderweb stuff, various Diablo incarnations, NWN, the Tomb Raider series, and WoW. These are (generally) well supported on the Mac, and the activities of Beamdog have resurrected the IE + NWN series. I'm grateful for this.

I spend a lot of money on cheap,shiny stuff from GoG, but tbh, many of these games are dross, or perhaps I'm just not as easily amused now (although there's the occasional diamond). So yeah...the relative stability of PC gaming has its appeal. Broken software is never fun.

I still tend to enjoy all types of games luckily, the only genre I really struggle with is point and clicks but there are a few that I'll tolerate. But I definitely have a preference towards RPGs at this point and I don't know why. I think they've just always been the one that spoke the most to me. I was gonna say something about the psychology of that but I realized we are derailing the frak out of this thread, so i'll maybe make another one later to talk about that.

#2753 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8308 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:30 AM

View Postnick68k, on 04 December 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

View PostMr Pink, on 04 December 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

Yep, 'War in the North' was removed at the end of last year.
But this isn't really anything new. At the end of the year it does happen that some titles are dropped, usually due to licensing issues/deals.
I think 2016 it was 'F1 2013', 'GRID' and 'DiRT 3'.
2017 it was 'F1 2012', 'LEGO Lord of the Rings', 'LEGO Hobbit' and 'Lord of the Rings: War in the North'.
Yeah, I knew about War in the North. I think there was some warning before it was removed from sale. LEGO The Hobbit is by the way (at least currently) still on sale for Mac on Steam.

I also noticed that Brothers in Arms has vanished from sale. That must have happened fairly recently.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2754 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:20 PM

LEGO The Incredibles is now out on the Mac App Store.

#2755 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:37 AM

DiRT 4!

https://www.feralint...om/en/news/937/