Puzzle Quest

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Soluri_*

Guest_Soluri_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

Hello!
I've just re-started playing Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords on my iPod today, and found out that there also was a Mac version. As the game is very old, I can't find it anywhere :crying:  
I found that it was pulled because it did not work anymore on the newer OS's, but I'm sometimes lucky so maybe it would still work. Does anyone know if I can still find it somewhere?

#2 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

What Mac (and OS version) do you have?

I'd not heard of this game, but it looks like a Ciderized version was released for the Mac.

The Windows version is still available on Steam (and probably elsewhere), so that might be your simplest option. It doesn't look like the game has very high hardware demands, so it should work fine on a Virtual Machine (a free one such as VirtualBox should be fine, but you have to supply your own Windows OS).  Failing that, Boot Camp. Another possibility is WINE - check out Paul the Tall's site and see if that helps you.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#3 Guest_Soluri_*

Guest_Soluri_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

I'm on 10.12.5. I was actually trying to avoid installing Steam, as it took up a lot of space on my old Macbook and it would just be for one game. I was hoping someone could find the drm-free version.

#4 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

I can't help you there I'm afraid. Also, as the Mac version is sitting inside a Cider wrapper in may- or may not work as expected on your system. Still, someone out there may have more answers for you.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

View PostSoluri, on 24 January 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

Hello!
I've just re-started playing Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords on my iPod today, and found out that there also was a Mac version. As the game is very old, I can't find it anywhere :crying:  
I found that it was pulled because it did not work anymore on the newer OS's, but I'm sometimes lucky so maybe it would still work. Does anyone know if I can still find it somewhere?

You can find the game for various platforms on Amazon.com and Iím sure on eBay as well. I noticed a PC jewel case copy on Amazon for under ten bucks. Here you will find info on running it with Wine: https://appdb.winehq...cation&iId=4832

I would highly recommend using Wineskin on a Mac to simplify using Wine greatly. You can get that for free here:

wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

Also, I would agree with checking out Paul the Tallís site in case heís already created a turnkey solution with Wine which he has done for many games and he shares his work freely as well last I knew. If not though, using Wineskin is not difficult although a little reading first is going to be needed if itís all brand new to you. For a Mac gamer, itís a great investment in learning that pays off in being able to enjoy many GOG games as one important example, that donít come already setup for Macs. Always check AppDB on the WineHQ site I linked first when trying to find out what can be expected to work well, pretty well or not at all. I used this often in the past with excellent results including with Steam games.

By the way, if you happen to own a PS2 or Xbox 360, you can get the game for those platforms too along with the Nintendo DS if I recall correctly.

Last but maybe not the least, if you happen to own a PS4, the PS2 version is available for that also as one of the titles that runs with their built in emulator and so runs at higher resolution with trophies support added to it. This version is going for $9.99 presently but the PS2 games lineup is frequently discounted if you watch for sales.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 Guest_Soluri_*

Guest_Soluri_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

I'm in the middle of the jungle with only a Macbook Air, so I don't have access (I also only have a DS) to any of those.
I've found the demo, so I'll try to see if I can get that working with Wine. I'm so lost though.

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

View PostSoluri, on 26 January 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

I'm in the middle of the jungle with only a Macbook Air, so I don't have access (I also only have a DS) to any of those.
I've found the demo, so I'll try to see if I can get that working with Wine. I'm so lost though.

Again, Wineskin makes it much easier. Download it here: http://wineskin.urge...?page=Downloads

The basic steps are, to create a blank wrapper, then install your program into it.

Create blank wrapper
  • Run Wineskin

• Install a Wine engine (usually the latest, unless you read that your game requires a specific version)

• Click "update" to get the latest wineskin wrapper

• Create blank wrapper

• Wait for a bit

• You will get prompts like "Wine could not find wine-mono".. Most games don't need those packages so click cancel

• Eventually it finishes. Click "View wrapper" and move it to your games folder or desktop or whatever
Install Windows software into wrapper
  • Run the blank wrapper

• IMPORTANT: If running OS X 10.12 High Sierra, click "Screen Options" and turn OFF auto-detect gpu. Click Done.

• Click "Install Software"

• PuzzleQuest Demo comes as an installer program so select 1st option.

• The installer is now running. When prompted, select default folder. No need for a desktop shortcut, since you won't be seeing the Windows desktop.

• When install finishes, Wineskin asks which of the installed files is the game. Select it from the dropdown (in this case, Puzzle Quest Demo.exe")

• Quit and re-run the wrapper. Note: It's not a blank wrapper any more!) Your game will try to run.
That's the easy part. Some games work right away. Some are picky and require lots of trial and error and custom options to run. Some never work. But good news, I tried wrapping Puzzle Quest Demo and it worked like a charm first time!
  • Startup is a little slow, don't panic if the screen is black for 10 seconds.
  • The graphics are stretched on a widescreen but in the game settings you can select Windowed
Hope that helps. If my steps aren't clear there are many Wineskin tutorials out there, including some on YouTube.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#9 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

View PostSoluri, on 26 January 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

I'm in the middle of the jungle <snip> I'm so lost though.
Am I the only one thinking this is a coded message for help? Are you being held hostage by Amazonian "freedom fighters"? Blink once for yes, twice for no.

#10 Guest_Soluri_*

Guest_Soluri_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, thanks Matt! I managed to install the demo, I'm just messing around with the screen options since I don't want it full screen. But I got it to work.

View PostTibur, on 26 January 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Am I the only one thinking this is a coded message for help? Are you being held hostage by Amazonian "freedom fighters"? Blink once for yes, twice for no.
Haha, I could definitely get lost, it's one of my talents. Nothing captured me yet ;)

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

View PostSoluri, on 26 January 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

I'm just messing around with the screen options since I don't want it full screen.

I had no luck with those. Try the "Settings" menu on the game's main menu-- there is a Window/Fullscreen option in there.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB