25 replies to this topic

#21 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 05:13 AM

I am investigating this actually... more later...
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#22 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1896 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:15 AM

Coincidental timing for a necro, I just saw Pitch Black for the first time last night. Like Dark Athena, was surprised at how good it was.

#23 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:59 PM

I own the original copy of Riddick, but I can't install it anymore, because of the DRM.
I bought the MAS version and this version can be used/installed still today. Thx apple!

There are some changes in the game. First the MAS Version is UGLY and much less performant.
The shaders are grain/bloom/overbright...it can be fixed using this: https://www.moddb.co.../default-shader

Don't copy it in the DATA-Directory, copy it directly in the app. (HL_Shaders...etc. and overwrite the normal one). After that the game looks MUCH better...more like the original dvd-release.

But performance is still BAD. I have to check this fixes:

i was researching online and i found two tweaks that give a huge performance boost for this game.

press Ctrl + Alt + ~ to bring down the console and type in these commands

xr_lod 0 - (This turns off the next-gen look of the game ( color/Hdr effecs). Kinda makes it look like the first butcher bay game , which isnt bad. It makes the jaggies less noticable on low resolutions. Gives a performance boost but only a little, not noticable. Some people might like playing the game with this turnd to 0 tho, cause the color just goes a bit more gray , kinda suits the game.)

xr_adaptivequalitymode 0 - (this im not sure what it does. I think its something to do with texture lodbias. Makes things from afar look blurrd up but not too bad. Gives huge performance boost.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#24 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:40 AM

It worked OK on that HD3000 machine with 10.9.5. Now I got a much more powerful 2014 MacMini with i7/3GHZ/16GB/and Intel Iris.
The game only starts once. After a second restart it always crashes on 10.11.6. I can't figure out what the problem is.
I am relatively sure that this game is not native mac. It seems like it works on a wrapper and it's a windows version, but I am not sure about that.

Has some a working version of dark athena / riddick that is working on 10.11+ ?
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#25 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1896 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:39 AM

According to a post here it's a cider port: https://www.gog.com/...og_just_curious

#26 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:43 AM

There you are... I wondered why it does load so long...it's always a good indicator if it't noch mac native.
It started once, so I have to figure out which files cause that crashing on second start and delete them before the first start.

It's not the files in the appl.support folder...either other files or directly in the packed app.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011