47 replies to this topic

#1 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

... that Apple is in talks to buy Valve from Sierra -- or whoever it is that owns Sierra this week.  lol

Anyone else hear anything else at all about this?

#2 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Um, I think you're a good 6 years behind the times.

Does Sierra even exist anymore?

Valve's a private company that has their retail copies published and distributed by EA, but previously Sierra. Neither of them own Valve.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#3 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

View Postteflon, on 16 June 2010 - 01:40 PM, said:

Um, I think you're a good 6 years behind the times.

Valve's a private company ....
Um ....
Instead of being a fire trucking dick who thinks they're being wittily clever by prefacing thier remarks with "Um ...." --
perhaps you could, Heaven forbid, address the topic: irregardless of who owns/doesn't own who.

#4 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Valve is a private company
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#5 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

View PostNAG, on 16 June 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

I DIDN'T SAY IT'S NOT A fire truckING PRIVATE COMPANY.
WHO THE fire truck CARES WHO OWNS OR DOESN'T OWN IT ?!?
Holy mother of Christ ....

I said: I hear Apple is buying Valve.
That's what I said ....

Has anyone heard anything else at all about Apple buying/aquiring/whatever-fire trucking-word-you-wanna-use Valve ?
Judging from the responses so far, no.

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3379 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:04 PM

View PostNAG, on 16 June 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

Yea, I've tried to invest in them. They're very much a private company (you can't buy shares in them)

I have heard possible rumours about Apple buying Valve a little while back, but I don't think anything will come of it.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#7 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

OK, well I'm sorry you took offence to that. Though I have no real idea how... What the heck?

So I'll be blunt and to the point. Valve is owned by Gabe Newell and Doug Lombardi. Nobody else has any say in how they run their company, and they are not about to sell it to Apple. Simple as that.
They have no interest in doing so, particularly when they are so outrageously successful all on their own, and Apple has no way of doing so outside of them selling their company away.

Since you said that Apple were interested in buying up Valve, who owns Valve is the entire point.

Me trying to be funny was based on the fact that you were trying to be funny (with a "lol" no less), and that Sierra has had nothing to do with Valve since 2004, and even less to do with actually being a company since they were sucked up in the Activision Blizzard merger. EA does the current distribution of Valve's games at retail.

This entire rumour is based on hot air anyway. You might as well be saying that Sony is planning on buying up Valve and integrating Steam into PSN because Valve is clearly now enamoured with the PS3 (they were only saying mean things because they love Sony so much) to the extent that they're going to ditch all versions of Portal 2 other than one that can only be played in 3D and with two Move controllers, and that all future games will feature Kevin Butler as the main character.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#8 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

View Postteflon, on 16 June 2010 - 03:41 PM, said:

Valve is owned by Gabe Newell and Doug Lombardi.
Nobody else has any say in how they run their company, and they are not about to sell it to Apple.
Simple as that.
What is the connection between: someone owning a company/a company being unsellable ?
Steve Jobs calls Gabe Newell ....
Steve: "I wanna buy Valve from you, like I bought Pixar from George Lucas."
Gabe: "OK" or "No".
What do you mean: "Simple as that." ?

They have no interest in doing so, particularly when they are so outrageously successful all on their own,
and Apple has no way of doing so outside of them selling their company away.
YAYYYYYYYYYYYY !
Now you're finally catchin' on.

Since you said that Apple were interested in buying up Valve, who owns Valve is the entire point.
Noooooo ....
Really ?!?
Selling something involves the owner of the thing being sold ....
Such trenchant fiduciary insight.
My point is rather than the whole "Um ...., etc." nonsense, just simply saying Valve's private
then saying why you think they will or won't sell to Apple is the way it should be said.

View PostSneaky Snake, on 16 June 2010 - 03:04 PM, said:

I have heard possible rumours about Apple buying Valve a little while back, but I don't think anything will come of it.
*GASP*
An actual response to the topic at hand !!!11!!1!

Thanks for the input, SS.
I didn't know this rumor's been around for awhile -- I just read about it on CultOfMac.Com.

Anyone else hear anything at all about this either way ?

#9 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3379 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

Teflon meant no offence, he wasn't out to get you or anything, try see it in his eyes, cuz he makes a good point, you were pretty non serious in the opening post.

The only way I could see Valve selling out to Apple is if Apple offered them something ridiculous. Although if it did happen I would have a pretty smug grin watching all the PC fanboys reactions  :happy:
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra

#10 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

Not to mention the whole exploding on people. If there is a misunderstanding going straight to flaming is usually a bad tactic.

#11 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 16 June 2010 - 04:44 PM, said:

The only way I could see Valve selling out to Apple is if Apple offered them something ridiculous.
Like what, exactly ?

The rumor must've started for some reason.

#12 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3379 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

View PostCaryMG, on 16 June 2010 - 05:08 PM, said:

Like what, exactly ?

The most likely reason why apple would buy them is cuz of Steam. It fits right into apple's way of doing things (convenient online distribution) and dominates the digital download of games sector. Apple would incorporate this into the iTunes store and make some tasty profits, and either pay Gabe a whopping sum of money to retire forever on, or put him in charge of some gaming venture, or both.

Chances: extremely unlikely

#13 CaryMG

CaryMG

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

Steam stinks !

I have nothing but problems with it whenever I "use" it.
So, it goes bye-bye.

It's funny how -- ah .... alternative [*ahem*] versions of "Portal" run so much better than the official one -- which is
hawked as being made from the ground up for Macintosh computers rather than being just a cheap port.

That's very telling ....

#14 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

CaryMG, can we please calm down. I feel it is coming to something bad (that happens on other forums, but not here).

View PostCaryMG, on 16 June 2010 - 05:08 PM, said:

Like what, exactly ?

I does not need to be a good reason, the reason can be paper thin. In-fact, there does not necessarily need to be a reason at all.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#15 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

It's kind of like how Apple is rumored to buy ARM even though it would make little sense. Or Sun buying Apple or Disney buying Apple back about 10 years ago.

Rumors happen because thats what analysts do.

#16 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

See? I'm not so bad. I just have a tendency to post when I'm a tad inebriated. At least I don't post when I've gone off my meds!  :P

#17 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

Wow, you're very hyper today CaryMG.

Your initial post made it quite clear that you were under the impression that Valve was wholly or part owned by a publisher, which is the big point i was trying point out.

Following from that, it's the whole thing that companies generally don't just sell themselves on a whim. Valve is a hugely successful company that was already based upon the founder's millions made from their time working at MS, but it now raking in hundreds of millions every time they release a game.

There is precedent for a private company to be bought. Bungie was bought up by MS in 2000, for example. But look where they are now. They're independent again, own themselves and are unlikely to ever sell themselves ever again because they don't need to. In 2000 they wanted the security of not having to worry about going bust, along with the promise of being the single major launch title for a new console. Now they don't need to do this, they're a household name and everything they do might as well be printing money.

Id Software is a different case. They were independent and rather successful in and of themselves. No pressure for them ever to complete a game until it was ready, but they sold to ZeniMax in order to be part of the publisher.

The parallel you tried to draw between Valve and Pixar is also very different. Pixar, at the time of buying, was a department of LucasFilm, the overall company that Lucas owned. He was in some minor financial troubles, and Pixar, at that point, was not particularly successful. Lucas had very little to do with it, other than overseeing it. The comparison between him and Gabe Newell/Lombardi is that they actually work on the games proper. The test, they code, they design, they concieve etc. etc. They are a huge part of Valve. Somewhat like West and Zampella were to Infinity Ward, they're the two figure heads.

Now look at Valve. They have their own distribution system, which pulls in plenty of money on its own. They release hugely successful games every year or so. They have a healthy relationship with EA who handle retail distribution of their games. They're  one of the top 3 game studios in the world... What would they gain from selling out to Apple?

nothing.

What would they lose by selling out to Apple? EA's distribution and marketting, control over their online distribution platform, their independence, which they are quite proud of.

What would Apple gain from this? Well... nothing really. Valve have already brought half their games over to the Mac, have no interest in portable platform, and the Mac is now considered a Tier 1 platform, apparently...

So how plausible is this rumour? It has absolutely no basis in fact, what so ever. Even as speculation it's pretty weak. I could come up with a better rumour whilst having my leg sawn off.

#18 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3379 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

View Postteflon, on 16 June 2010 - 06:02 PM, said:

So how plausible is this rumour? It has absolutely no basis in fact, what so ever. Even as speculation it's pretty weak. I could come up with a better rumour whilst having my leg sawn off.

Bravo!! :claps:

Honestly the only reason Valve would ever sell to Apple is if Apple offered them a billion or something for the company, even that might be to small. In other words, not gonna happen.

A more believable Apple related gaming rumour is the EA. Apparently a rumour is going around the Apple will buy EA. But again, unless Apple offered multiple billions of dollars, and got Steve to chop his balls off and put them nicely into a paper bag for EA (heck, I would sell the company to see that! ), it's not gonna happen

View PostThe Liberator, on 16 June 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

CaryMG, can we please calm down. I feel it is coming to something bad (that happens on other forums, but not here).

I'm quite surprised that no mods have shown up yet. I narrowly dodged crucifixion from Frost the other day  ;)

#19 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Yeah, well said Teflon. To be honest I don't see Apple buying any game company unless perhaps it greatly benefited their iOS game efforts. :P
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#20 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

So I'll be blunt and to the point. Valve is owned by Gabe Newell and Doug Lombardi. Nobody else has any say in how they run their company, and they are not about to sell it to Apple. Simple as that.
No? Not even for one meeelllliion dollars?

But yeah. If Valve wanted to get bought by Apple, they'd need to make AAA games for iPhone and iPad. (Even then, though, why would Apple bother?) Apple's not going to buy Valve just for the fun of watching 95% of their (Valve's) customers vanish overnight, as jolly a sight as it would be.

From what I understand, Steve Jobs didn't buy anything from George Lucas (George Lucas "gifted" the technology to the internal crew to build an independent startup with it, and Steve Jobs later would invest in the startup). STARZ DOCUMENTARY FTW!!!11!