#101 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:59 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 30 January 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

"nearest neighbor scaling" ........ dont get me started with that blurry ass popsnizzle on my retina mac. How HARD would it be to pixel double SD images? NONE, seriously, apple had their head in their ass when introducing that nonsense... and now others are following suit with their high-density monitors and hardware/drivers.

I'd done countless tests, and a pixel doubled image looks 502327% better than the upscaled blur of crap retina does.
?
Are you talking about view contents like photos/videos or about UI bitmap elements like icons or buttons? Because Preview, QuickTime and other apps do exact pixel quadrupling of content on a retina display. Even most games do. Funnily, this isn't possible on the PC. On Windows, there is no way to exactly pixel-quadruple a game at 1080p playing on a 4k monitor, and gamers have been complaining about it for years.
It's true that the non-retina apps get blurry, but it's not the "nearest neighbour" algorithm, since it would mean pixel doubling. It's a more complex smoothing algorithm. I'm not sure why appkit doesn't just quadruple the pixels in that case, I suspect it's done on purpose to single-out non-retina apps/widgets.
But the system does exactly quadruple pixels on App content. It's easy to see on screenshots.

#102 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4323 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

View Postjeannot, on 30 January 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

?
Are you talking about view contents like photos/videos or about UI bitmap elements like icons or buttons? Because Preview, QuickTime and other apps do exact pixel quadrupling of content on a retina display. Even most games do. Funnily, this isn't possible on the PC. On Windows, there is no way to exactly pixel-quadruple a game at 1080p playing on a 4k monitor, and gamers have been complaining about it for years.
It's true that the non-retina apps get blurry, but it's not the "nearest neighbour" algorithm, since it would mean pixel doubling. It's a more complex smoothing algorithm. I'm not sure why appkit doesn't just quadruple the pixels in that case, I suspect it's done on purpose to single-out non-retina apps/widgets.
But the system does exactly quadruple pixels on App content. It's easy to see on screenshots.

More about websites. Apps are apps, and if they dont look good, thats their own damned fault. But there was no reason why imagery on the web, and bitmaps in games, and otherwise, could not have simply be pixel doubled (gotta be quicker on the gpu too), instead of that blurring upscale nonsense that occurs.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#103 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:31 AM

On websites, you can zoom the page at arbitrary levels. Web browsers therefore apply a scaling algorithm (bicubic interpolation of something similar) that works for all zoom levels. The nearest neighbour algorithm looks good only at integer scale factors. At non-integer factors, it looks like sh*t (really).
What you suggest would result in very poor renders at non-integer scaling factors, unless different scaling algorithms are applied to different scaling factors. We're already lucky that macOS does it on games and other apps (Preview ect.). At least at the 2X scale factor on retina displays, the window server quadruples the pixels. But on Windows, AFAIK, there is no such thing. Everything gets the "blur" treatment. Game played at 1080p on a 4K display don't simply have their pixel doubled, and there is no way to do it.

#104 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4323 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:37 AM

Given how bad so many websites are, and everyone is moving to this flexible-wish-washy-nothing-is-pixel-perfect responsive style... then it doesn't really matter anymore. It all is no longer sharp unless you throw a ton of pixels at every resource linked in css/html and hope people are on a high-density monitor or device.

And how I said, "most" websites on the internet are pure garbage anyway, so why should I care?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#105 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:51 AM

Hey, I'm noticing that in-game chatting doesn't work in ANY game with Mojave, even if I allow the app permission. I've a USB mic/headset that works with the macOS fine (Input tab under Sound Control Panel detects it fine, Voice Memo app records fine) but it doesn't show up as even connected in Black Ops 3 or Fortnite.

I'm searching the web now and am finding that, unfortunately, it appears to be a widespread problem since people have upgraded to Mojave.

What an absolutely stupid thing to allow by QA! :cool:
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII