Civ 4 on new iMac

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 volvos60r

volvos60r

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

I was just wondering how Civ4 runs on the new aluminum iMac.  I know the radeon 2600 pro isn't the best graphics card in the world, but does it run civ4 ok?  I want to get a new iMac to play civ, and starcraft 2 later on.

#2 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

Civ4 runs great on my "old" intel iMac (C2D w/ X1600).
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

And also on my "older" 20" Intel Core Duo (not the 2 version) with the 256MB X1600 card as well. I can't see why the newer ones wouldn't handle it fine.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 12th 2007, 01:28 PM, said:

And also on my "older" 20" Intel Core Duo (not the 2 version) with the 256MB X1600 card as well. I can't see why the newer ones wouldn't handle it fine.

the 2600 pro is better then the x1600 right
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#5 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on September 12th 2007, 07:19 PM, said:

the 2600 pro is better then the x1600 right

Yes, the 2600 isn't a top notch card, but it is significantly better than the x1600 nonetheless.  No worries there.

#6 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:09 AM

View Postmyamid, on September 12th 2007, 09:38 PM, said:

Yes, the 2600 isn't a top notch card, but it is significantly better than the x1600 nonetheless.  No worries there.

Ouch!   :crying:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#7 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:59 PM

View Postdojoboy, on September 13th 2007, 06:09 AM, said:

Ouch!   :crying:

:P  Take it with a smile... the x1600 was far from a great chipset...  oh about 6months after the original intel iMac was released :rolleyes:

#8 Prospero

Prospero

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

On the Apple Store's page for Civ 4 (http://store.apple.c...spart=TH422LL/A) a few people are reporting that the game runs poorly, or not at all, on the new aluminum iMacs. Two people specifically cite the 24" 2.4 GHz iMac, which is the model I just got. So I'm a little nervous about buying Civ 4. Has anyone around here run it on the new iMacs successfully?

#9 myamid

myamid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

View PostProspero, on September 14th 2007, 06:32 PM, said:

On the Apple Store's page for Civ 4 (http://store.apple.c...spart=TH422LL/A) a few people are reporting that the game runs poorly, or not at all, on the new aluminum iMacs. Two people specifically cite the 24" 2.4 GHz iMac, which is the model I just got. So I'm a little nervous about buying Civ 4. Has anyone around here run it on the new iMacs successfully?

I can't say I have... but Civ4 notoriously runs "poorly" on just about any rig (even on Windows).  It's perfectly playable (though quite "studdery" at times) on previous generation iMacs so there really aren't any reasons why it wouldn't be on the new models.

#10 volvos60r

volvos60r

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

View PostProspero, on September 14th 2007, 03:32 PM, said:

Try the demo out and let me know how it goes, that's the model I was looking at.

#11 volvos60r

volvos60r

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

Also I forgot to mention that it may work better when 10.5 comes out.  Might want to give it a before and after test.

#12 Prospero

Prospero

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

View Postvolvos60r, on September 17th 2007, 10:08 AM, said:

Try the demo out and let me know how it goes, that's the model I was looking at.

I didn't even think to look for a demo--thanks. I'll try it out this evening and post results.

#13 Prospero

Prospero

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

I played around with the demo for about a half-hour: the demo has a 100-turn limit on a small map, so there's not much opportunity to really see how the full game will handle on a huge map with lots of different nations. But it seems to run perfectly well. I can't seem to get the full advantage of my 24-inch monitor with the demo (I'm stuck with black bars on the left and right sides) but the graphics seem fine, except for the odd little glitch here and there, and a noticeable but not problematic drop in framerate when I zoom in to the closest view to look at cities and scroll over the map. I'm certainly not getting the constant crashes that people posting on the Apple Store page for Civ 4 are reporting (on aluminum iMacs and Macbook Pros). Strange.

Anyway, it looks safe to buy.

#14 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:01 AM

View PostProspero, on September 18th 2007, 07:27 PM, said:

I can't seem to get the full advantage of my 24-inch monitor with the demo (I'm stuck with black bars on the left and right sides)

I'll fire it right up now and tell you how to fix this ... hang on while I find the DVD ... nope, that's not it, that's X-Plane, no that's RoN, rats that's the Sims 2, no darn it that's Zoo Tycoon 2, stupid DVD checks ... where'd my kid leave that Civ IV DVD? Oh yes, here it is, next to the Wii games. Shove that in ... OK, hang on ... flip into the Games account where all the games get installed otherwise not everyone can play if installed under my admin account when they're in their own account ... oh yes, here we are!

Start game. Select Advanced. Options. Graphics. The pull down menu for screen resolution doesn't show yours? (1900 or something by something?) Try setting it to 1680x1050 if you can at least since that's the same widescreen format as my 20" Did that work?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#15 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

I have played a real lot of Civ III and more recently I'm progressing in Civ IV. On a variety of iMacs.

The killer is NOT the graphics - don't let it worry you.

The problem is the AI - if you have a huge map and lots of civs and are fairly advanced in the game and playing on one of the top three difficulty levels (very unlikely for a newcomer) then there will be significant delays between turns in Civ III.

On an old iMac DV+ Summer 2000 you'd wait hours. I kid you not. Only for the very keen.

Because the AI / game mechanics are significantly different in Civ IV to Civ III then I am not up to the top AI levels but have tried big maps with max civs and certainly all the AI and graphics bells and whistles "on".

On a late 2006 20" iMac with the dud graphics card (i.e. X1600) Civ IV plays very well.

In other words - Civ IV plays MUCH better on recent iMacs than Civ III played on the then recent iMacs.

Go ahead and buy it.

Be careful if you're an old hand at Civ III then tread carefully with Civ IV - religion in particular has added a degree of uncertainty to strategy and getting my head around it is slowing my learning progress in the game. Micromanagement is less necessary now but if you still like to do that in Civ IV then it is now less easy to do. Negotiating with other Civs is less flawed but now rather boring. Much more difficult to con a civ into obscene trading terms when you have it on its knees - I suspect it is not even possible due to the need to cripple it in order to facilitate the "Vassal" state mod in Warlords. Sea warfare is much improved - when they come at you they come in force! Barbarians have been tweaked big time - watch out! The Wonder animations really stood out in Civ III. Now in Civ IV they are so-so.

#16 Prospero

Prospero

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:55 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 19th 2007, 04:01 AM, said:

Start game. Select Advanced. Options. Graphics. The pull down menu for screen resolution doesn't show yours? (1900 or something by something?) Try setting it to 1680x1050 if you can at least since that's the same widescreen format as my 20" Did that work?

Thanks, but unfortunately the demo doesn't seem to allow you to change the resolution. (At least that's what I remember--I'm not in front of my iMac right now.) But I've just ordered the full game, and so it's nice to know that it does have some kind of widescreen mode.

@cleansanchez--the last Civ game I actually played was II, on a Performa 637, so I know about the waiting for turns. (I played it a lot during the summer I studied for exams in grad school--I'd make a move, and then read for 40-45 minutes while the computer calculated its turn.) My recent experience with games of this kind is with Paradox's games (Europa Universalis II; Hearts of Iron) so I'm hoping that'll give me a leg up with figuring out religion, etc. Civ 4 definitely looks like a game that's going to require reading the manual, though.

#17 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:09 AM

View PostProspero, on September 19th 2007, 10:55 AM, said:

Thanks, but unfortunately the demo doesn't seem to allow you to change the resolution. (At least that's what I remember--I'm not in front of my iMac right now.) But I've just ordered the full game, and so it's nice to know that it does have some kind of widescreen mode.

@cleansanchez--the last Civ game I actually played was II, on a Performa 637, so I know about the waiting for turns. (I played it a lot during the summer I studied for exams in grad school--I'd make a move, and then read for 40-45 minutes while the computer calculated its turn.) My recent experience with games of this kind is with Paradox's games (Europa Universalis II; Hearts of Iron) so I'm hoping that'll give me a leg up with figuring out religion, etc. Civ 4 definitely looks like a game that's going to require reading the manual, though.

I'm eager to hear your results. I plan to buy a new iMac next Spring, and Civ IV/Warlords is one of my favorite games. Keeping my fingers crossed!

#18 volvos60r

volvos60r

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

View PostProspero, on September 19th 2007, 07:55 AM, said:

Yes, please let us know how it goes with the full version of Civ 4.  How much ram do you have?

#19 Prospero

Prospero

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

View Postvolvos60r, on September 19th 2007, 03:33 PM, said:

Yes, please let us know how it goes with the full version of Civ 4.  How much ram do you have?

1 GB, the standard for this model. Recommended memory for Civ 4 is 512 MB, so I don't expect to have a problem, but we'll see.

#20 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:42 PM

View Postcleansanchez, on September 19th 2007, 08:33 AM, said:

The Wonder animations really stood out in Civ III. Now in Civ IV they are so-so.

Civ III doesn't have any Wonder animations, just static screens.  Civ II had some nice (if rather blocky by today's standards) Wonder animations though.  I've never really had to wait much for the computer to take turns in any Civ game (usually I've played at the second-highest difficulty level), but the problem with Civ IV on my machine (2.5GHz G5, X800) is that later in the game, there are annoying pauses when doing anything such as managing cities.  If it were just a matter of a lousy framerate, it wouldn't be that bad, but as it is, it makes playing a chore.  I'll give it another go in a few years when I have a new machine.

--Eric