EAW only Intel

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 IGCJacktheKnife

IGCJacktheKnife

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

Just read this morning in my Aspyr newsletter, EAW will only be built for Intel macs. That must suck for you powerpc guys! They say that multiplayer wouldn't work between PWRPC and Intel macs, as well as the fact that it would delay the software release by several months if they released it bilingual. :(

#2 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:37 AM

rubbish...
looks like this will be a game that i wont be getting for quite some time...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#3 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

Cool.  More money for me!

--Eric

#4 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:29 AM

That's too bad for the PPC folk - good game, one of my favorite of the year.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

Dissapointing, but can't say I'm suprised.

#6 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

Welcome to the next generation of Mac gaming.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#7 Aika

Aika

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

It's a shame but anything that gets us ports quicker and by extension more of them is I think a good thing. I would probably think otherwise if I had a PPC Mac... but I don't so yay :P
iMac late 2013

#8 Stark Rhavyn

Stark Rhavyn

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:25 PM

So this probably means that it'll also be Mac vs. Mac multiplayer too, right? Or has that already been established?

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:30 PM

aaah.. well heres where it becomes interesting.
due to the fact that both versions (PC & Mac) will be running on intels or x86 based CPUs, that means that the floating point calculations would come up with the same results. So it would be entirely plausible that Aspyr also made this move so that they could give PC-Mac multiplayer for all people that play the port, as opposed to having a divided camp.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 Guest_Red Guard_*

Guest_Red Guard_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

I understand the financial reasons why PPC users are left behind... but as a PPC user myself, it's difficult to not feel like Aspyr just gave us the middle finger.

Oh well, I guess it's time to trash my obsolete PPC Macs, even if two out of the three I own are less than 2 years old.

#11 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

This is not really a big surprise, actually. When I interviewed David Stephens of Feral Interactive at Macworld, he also said that by the middle of this year most of their games would be Intel only. It's just where we're all headed.
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio

#12 Guest_Red Guard_*

Guest_Red Guard_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

View PostOmaha Sternberg, on February 1st 2007, 02:11 PM, said:

This is not really a big surprise, actually. When I interviewed David Stephens of Feral Interactive at Macworld, he also said that by the middle of this year most of their games would be Intel only. It's just where we're all headed.
I believe anyone with half a brain is aware of where the Mac gaming industry is headed in terms of processor support.

However, most of us just didn't expect PPC users to get left behind so quickly. Like others have said, some of us have PPC machines that are less than a year old and are in no way should be considered obsolete, but are made so due to software incompatibility.

Of course, I don't expect Intel users to understand as if I had an Intel Mac, I would probably be annoyed by all these "damn whiny PPC users", but fact is, I don't nor do I plan on replacing my less-than-a-year old PowerMac.

#13 Stark Rhavyn

Stark Rhavyn

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

Either way it must have been an interesting decision to make: either lose all the sales from PPC users completely or delay sales to anyone further.
Those chose not to accept the PPC users money rather than delay getting any money for few more months.

#14 DesterWallaboo

DesterWallaboo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

Well... EAW was locked solidly on my "buy the day or release" list..... but no longer. Looks like I won't be buying this game as we have only one MacIntel box in the house. We like to play multiplayer games, but this looks like an impossibility. So technically this is three copies that we will not be purchasing.

#15 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

View PostRed Guard, on February 1st 2007, 12:36 PM, said:

I believe anyone with half a brain is aware of where the Mac gaming industry is headed in terms of processor support.

However, most of us just didn't expect PPC users to get left behind so quickly. Like others have said, some of us have PPC machines that are less than a year old and are in no way should be considered obsolete, but are made so due to software incompatibility.

Of course, I don't expect Intel users to understand as if I had an Intel Mac, I would probably be annoyed by all these "damn whiny PPC users", but fact is, I don't nor do I plan on replacing my less-than-a-year old PowerMac.

I don't think most OS 9 users expected to be left behind so quickly, but they were. Life goes on. And I wish that I had an Intel Mac as well, but I'm left in a double quandry...not only do I not have the money to buy a new MacIntel, but I still need to have a PPC Mac available to review casual/Indie games that are not coming out Universal still (and won't for a while longer). But I needed a faster machine at the end of last year. So, I bought myself a used bare bones G5...I'm saving up for a MacIntel in the middle of the year. Yeah, I'll be reviewing some Intel only games late (like HOMM5) but I'll live.

Most PC users upgrade in the 2 year mode...we Mac users are used to having machines that last longer because they are better quality. We just need to recognize that right now if we love our games, we're going to have to swallow that pride...and go buy.
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio

#16 Guest_Red Guard_*

Guest_Red Guard_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:51 PM

View PostOmaha Sternberg, on February 1st 2007, 03:28 PM, said:

I don't think most OS 9 users expected to be left behind so quickly, but they were. Life goes on.
I'm sick of people comparing the transition of PPC & Intel Macs with that of Mac OS X & Mac OS 9.

It costs a mere $130 for someone with a less-than-a-year old machine to upgrade from OS 9 to OS X, it would costs hundreds to thousands of dollars to upgrade from PPC to Intel Mac. One transition is software, the other hardware.

Also, OS 9 users were not left behind less than a year after OS X was released. Heck it took years before OS 9 became irrelevant.

View PostOmaha Sternberg, on February 1st 2007, 03:28 PM, said:

Most PC users upgrade in the 2 year mode...we Mac users are used to having machines that last longer because they are better quality. We just need to recognize that right now if we love our games, we're going to have to swallow that pride...and go buy.
"Most PC users upgrade in the 2 year mode"?

Care to provide some evidence to back up this claim?

#17 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:53 PM

A few quick thoughts:

- Aspyr is definitely not 'giving the middle finger' to anyone.  We don't make decisions because we hate or want to pick on some segment of the market.  We make games for the widest audience possible, but sometimes that audience isn't as wide as we (or you) would like.  It doesn't make it any better for people who can't play EAW, but it's just reality of business.  The worst choice we can make is to develop a game for a cost that is more than what we'll  earn in sales.

- The choice to do Intel vs Universal for EAW came down to cost and time to market. It was as much a decision between skipping EAW for Mac at all or doing it for Intel because that was the only way the costs warranted it.  I realize this still doesn't help PPC users who want to play, but surely letting some Mac users play the game is better than none?

- Along the lines of having the game on the Mac vs not, I realize not everyone has money to buy a new mac every year (my personal G4 Powerbook at home has to last me at least another couple years).  But because we've made EAW for Intel Macs now, it'll be there for you to possibly buy & play in a year or two when you do eventually get a new Mac.  It's a small consolation, but at least something.

- This is a decision about a single game and specific engine.  We didn't announced we no longer will ship PowerPC games ever again.  Besides Prey (just shipped Universal, with a demo released before the game shipped for everyone to try out even!) we've got several more Universal games planned for '07.  Yes, there may be another Intel only game at some point, but in each case we will weigh all the pro's and con's, costs and benefits, and decide.  

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#18 DesterWallaboo

DesterWallaboo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

I didn't mean to disparage Aspyr for their decision. I own a business so I understand business decisions that have to be made. However, it does put me in a position where I will not purchase the game because we love to play multiplayer games in my household. Having one machine with EAW would not work. In fact, it would probably never be played.

#19 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

This sucks. A lot.

#20 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

View PostRed Guard, on February 1st 2007, 01:51 PM, said:

I'm sick of people comparing the transition of PPC & Intel Macs with that of Mac OS X & Mac OS 9.

It costs a mere $130 for someone with a less-than-a-year old machine to upgrade from OS 9 to OS X, it would costs hundreds to thousands of dollars to upgrade from PPC to Intel Mac. One transition is software, the other hardware.

Also, OS 9 users were not left behind less than a year after OS X was released. Heck it took years before OS 9 became irrelevant.

The transition from OS 9 to OS X is very similar in many ways to the PPC/Intel Mac transition, especially in the complaint department. I had a friend who forever complained about how awful OS X was and how it would never be a replacement for OS 9 and on and on. But more than anything else it was, "I don't want to have to upgrade". Which is what I'm hearing from some people about the PPC/Intel Mac.

PPC users have not been left behind "less than a year" after the Intel Mac was released. The majority of games available, and indeed that will be available for several years to come most likely, will still be made for both PPC and Intel. It's just that some AAA, core gamer, ported-over-from-some-of-the-faster-running-PC-computer titles will not be. If you want to play those, you will need to pay the money and get the machine.

"Most PC users upgrade in the 2 year mode"?

Care to provide some evidence to back up this claim?

My apologies, I meant most PC gamers.

Call of Duty came out in October of 2003, with Min Req of a Pentium III 700 MHz machine. Two years later Call of Duty 2 came out, which had *Min Req* of a Pentium IV 1.4 GHz (the recommended system requirements were quite higher). This is a two year upgrade cycle for core gamers who enjoy AAA titles, and doesn't take into account the upgrades in between of video cards, etc.

Most PC users in the past have used a 3 year cycle, though that has been shunted back even further to a four year cycle in the past couple of years.
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio