14 replies to this topic

#1 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:49 PM

I can't seem to figure out what is meant by the term "boomer" in reference to RTS games.  In Age of Mytholgy, one of the AI strategies you can set for your opponents is "big boomer," but I don't know what that means.  Can someone tell me?
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#2 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

I looked it up in Wikipedia and this is what I got.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomer

"something large or notable of its kind" - Looked this up in my widget dictionary.

#3 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

That doesn't really help me.  I just want to know what it means in the context of the RTS genre.  Some of those definitions have something to do with construction, so perhaps that's it, though I thought the term "turtler," in a RTS context, was someone who built lots of walls and towers.

Anyone else?
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#4 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:11 PM

Never played AoM or heard the term Boomer before, but I would guess it means aggressive expansion. So it probably builds a lot of construction/villager (whatever AoM calls them) units to start, then tries to swarm you later.

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

A boomer is a player who uses agressive rushing tactics to try to win quickly by building his military as fast as possible and rushing out to attack.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:46 PM

DaveyJJ, on October 8th 2005, 03:17 PM, said:

A boomer is a player who uses agressive rushing tactics to try to win quickly by building his military as fast as possible and rushing out to attack.

View Post

Correct, and a baby boomer is a player under the age of 2 who uses agressive rushing tactics to try to win quickly by building his military as fast as possible and rushing out to attack.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

For shame, tBC, you didn't tell the kids what Boomer really is.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#8 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info.  I'm still a little confused, though; AoM has two distinct classifications for "Big Boomer" and "Agressive Rusher," and I'm not really sure what the difference is.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#9 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

You people.  :glare: "Boomer" means the computer will focus more on economic expansion and setting up a strong internal defense structure before focusing on your destruction. "Agressive Rusher" means that the computer will focus mainly on building large armies and attempt to overwhelm you early on. Both are a two-edged sword; playing against a "boomer" will give you time to prepare a defense, but in turn the computer will twice as hard to dig out. Agressive rushers are more deadly early on, but if you can get to the point where their assaults are nothing more than a sausage grinding, cracking their base shouldn't be too difficult.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#10 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:33 AM

dehulk_9000, on October 8th 2005, 09:13 PM, said:

For shame, tBC, you didn't tell the kids what Boomer really is.
So a Baby Boomer is an attack shuttle?

Anyway M4 will retroactively change the future past, so who knows how much of that will as well...

the Battle Cat, on September 13th 2005, 10:10 AM, said:

Soulstorm is absolutely correct.  We should stop this useless information and fantasy malarky we've been tossing about and get right down to the facts of the matter.

NDA be damned.  Yes Soulstorm, Marathon IV is in the works and slated to be released July 7th, 2007... The game will begin where Marathon 2 left off and be yet another timeline from Infinity, one that focuses and coalesces all the old Infinity dream and timelines into a cohesive unit.  From there you discover how a complex rampant AI named Durandal obtained true Godhood and forced the scales of the universe back into balance by stopping the deployment of the Trih Xeem and defeating the unleashed W'rkncacnter with the help of his right arm, an unassuming yet extraordinary UESC Security Officer.
Heavy stuff. So for all we know much of the existing Marathon storyline will disappear or become an interesting but false alternate future- a dream sequence like the sixth season of "Dallas."

#11 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

Blackshawk, on October 8th 2005, 08:49 PM, said:

You people.  :glare: "Boomer" means the computer will focus more on economic expansion and setting up a strong internal defense structure before focusing on your destruction.

View Post

Exactly. "Booming" focuses on optimizing your economy. In Rise of Nations, for example, you're booming when you're collecting as many resources as possible without sacrificing much to inefficiency, building structures that continue to expand your economy, such as smelters and lumber mills, and expanding. Military is usually secondary while booming, aside from a few defensive structures to ward off rush tactics.

It's a temporary tactic, of course. Once you've got your economy to a point at which it dwarfs your opponent's, you can churn out units faster and more effectively. Then you crush your enemies, hear the screams of the dying, and the lamentation of the women!

#12 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:57 AM

Thanks.  That's what I wanted to know.  I find it odd, though, that the AI in AoM never builds walls and builds relatively few towers, if any.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#13 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:16 AM

That's because the AI from AoM is basically copy-and-pasted from Age of Empires II, with exception being made for the new Myth units.

I was very displeased with AoM, and I would much rather spend time playing Rise of Nations or Age of Empires. The AI was horrible, the computer was given ridiculous bonus gather rates, and trying to sustain a large army of any decent strength was impossible. The economy required far too many villagers to sustain itself, and the fact that military units could consume as many as five population slots the game became very frustrating and boring.
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#14 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:02 PM

What ever happened to a good old "zerg"?!?!

#15 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6168 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:53 PM

And here I thought this was going to be a discussion about nuclear-armed submarines.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.