Warcraft

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Yamadron

Yamadron

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

so, like many out there, I LOVED warcraft III. But the next installment ( World of Warcraft) is just a third person online game, not the same build armies, kill opponents type i liked in the original. So, does anyone think they will make a new warcraft similar to III?

-yama

#2 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

Yamadron, on August 20th 2005, 09:37 PM, said:

so, like many out there, I LOVED warcraft III. But the next installment ( World of Warcraft) is just a third person online game, not the same build armies, kill opponents type i liked in the original. So, does anyone think they will make a new warcraft similar to III?
-yama

View Post

That is hard to say, Blizzard is having a ton of success with WoW. I guess they could make Starcraft more like Warcraft III.
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#3 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:56 PM

Blizzard have been rather quiet on the strategy front for some time now, however it is suspected that they will use Blizzcon to announce a new project. The odds are more in favour of their making Starcraft II, but they could branch out and try a new franchise.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#4 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3460 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

Belcarius, on August 20th 2005, 06:56 PM, said:

Blizzard have been rather quiet on the strategy front for some time now, however it is suspected that they will use Blizzcon to announce a new project. The odds are more in favour of their making Starcraft II, but they could branch out and try a new franchise.

View Post

I hope it's Starcraft 2.  Having never played Starcraft, and having heard so much about it, I'd like to try my hand at it.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#5 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:39 AM

You haven't played StarCraft, dojoboy?!  Well, don't wait for StarCraft 2, go pick up StarCraft and Broodwar now!  It's cheap!  It's a classic!  Go go go!

As for Blizzard announcements, I kind of am hoping for a new franchise.  Granted, Blizzard games are usually amazing, but it would be so nice to have them create a new world/universe.  It's kind of annoying how many titles out these days have numerals in them.  :glare:

Plus with a new franchise they'd have a good excuse to do some more genre innovation, maybe shake up their RTS or Adventure/RPG formulas a bit.  That would rock my world.
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#6 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:51 AM

I'd like Blizzard to be the ones to break the RTS mould that they bear partial responsibility for establishing (along with Westwood). Seriously I think we're past the time where it has to be governed by resource collection allowing for building construction allowing for troop production. And if anyone could do it, it would be Blizzard.

Dojo, SC can be grabbed from any store for the grand sum of 10 bucks. Plus it's still very popular online (it's practically the national sport of South Korea).
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:20 AM

Belcarius, on August 21st 2005, 01:51 AM, said:

Dojo, SC can be grabbed from any store for the grand sum of 10 bucks. Plus it's still very popular online (it's practically the national sport of South Korea).

Just make sure you don't play it 50 hours in a row, or you'll die.  ;)  But yeah, no reason not to buy it right now.

I do hope the next one is Starcraft 2.  Then they'll do the obligatory expansion.  THEN they can start something new.

--Eric

#8 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:09 AM

Starcraft 2 with a WC3 look would be nice.

Or...would SC2 with RoN style gameplay be better.
Honor but above all, Loyalty.

#9 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:09 PM

Shade, on August 22nd 2005, 02:09 AM, said:

Starcraft 2 with a WC3 look would be nice.

View Post

You may be interested in Project Revolution.

#10 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:51 PM

Tesseract, on August 21st 2005, 10:09 AM, said:

You may be interested in Project Revolution.

That is undeniably cool.  On the other hand, unless they integrate some of the gameplay enhancements that WarCraft III introduced, I don't really see the point.  StarCraft's graphics may not be 3D, but looking at some of the screenshots, some of the 3D conversions actually look less good than their 2D counterparts simply because the complexity of the originals doesn't translate that well.

I hope that they're able to finish it, though.  I'd definitely download it and give it a try.
Ian
IMG Flunky

#11 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

I guess I didn't look far enough - what is this anyway a stand-alone game or a modification for WC3?
Honor but above all, Loyalty.

#12 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:17 PM

Revolution has been going for a while now: it's not really going to be that good. If you must play Starcraft in WCIII, download Starcraft Zone Control.

#13 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:56 PM

Shade: Revolution was a complete conversion for WarCraft III.  The site said that you would need to own WC and expansion, as well as StarCraft and Brood War in order to play it.

Belcarius: out of curiosity, why do you say that it won't be any good?  And why don't you have a link to StarCraft Zone Control?  Or at least a description of what it is...  :)
Ian
IMG Flunky

#14 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:44 AM

George the Flea, on August 21st 2005, 10:56 PM, said:

why don't you have a link to StarCraft Zone Control?  Or at least a description of what it is...  :)

Google?

It looks like a custom War3 map with SC units and a newfangled script.

#15 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:17 AM

Actually, I did Google it.  I still would like a description, though, both since the page I found was remarkably low on descriptive text and because it's nice for other forum dwellers.
Ian
IMG Flunky

#16 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:12 AM

To go back to the original question. WoW was never ment to be a gameplay successor from the previous Warcraft games, so it's not a "Warcraft IV" and will never be either. It is based on the same universe, the same story and it takes place not long after the end of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne though, so in terms of story, it is a sequel.

Due to the open structure of the game, the story will be developed over time with new patches, expansions and so on, and I doubt it will ever truly end except maybe in a WoW 2... The only way I can see that Blizzard would be able to create a true WarCraft IV would be to bridge a gap between WoW and a possible future sequel to the MMO... otherwise they've pretty much locked themselves in on this one.

This will probably not mean we won't see any more RTS games from Blizzard, there's always been word about returning to the StarCraft universe with an RTS (and not only console action games like Ghost) and there's always the possibility to create a new franchise.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#17 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:17 AM

Starcraft 2 would be great, but somehow I think that it won't be a Starcraft game, since they already have Ghost coming out on that front(even though they aren't the ones developing it).  Either it will be a WoW expansion, like most rumour mills are propagating, or it will be something entirely different.

Mandrake628

#18 BadgerHunter

BadgerHunter

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:02 AM

I hope it isn't an expansion. Tons of new content comes in with patches.. an expansion would just be an excuse to milk us of more money. The initial cost of the game still irks me.

#19 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

George the Flea, on August 22nd 2005, 03:56 PM, said:

Belcarius: out of curiosity, why do you say that it won't be any good?  And why don't you have a link to StarCraft Zone Control?  Or at least a description of what it is...  :)

View Post

To answer your queries:

Starcraft Zone Control, in the most recent version I could find (you have to remember that with WCIII some people just do a straight release onto Bnet), is simply eight players attempting to control a series of square zones with Starcraft units avaliable to them.

This provides some small niche gameplay with the old starcraft tactics. I doubt Revolution will be any good because a) they are starting to lose steam, b) obviously it doesn't feature online gameplay. So, its only value is for the single player and LANs - and at the LANs I've been to most people just generally play the original more than they do Warcraft III! (Not a word about how old our computers are  :glare: )

#20 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

I'd like to see SCII, I feel that a new genre can wait for them until after they do a new starcraft.  As for new genres, I wonder what they could do, I definitley don't want to see Worlds of Starcraft or Dumbcraft: Orcs vs Zerg....
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!