#41 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

View PostTuncer (IMG), on March 16th 2006, 08:30 PM, said:

Don't be so confident that the ATI driver problem will be fixed so easily. It'll be a lot of hard work to get it running with full Direct X support.

Tuncer, regular "hard-core" ports are indeed a goner.
Why?
Dual booting solutions are essentially ready;if I have managed to understand only a tenth of the technical intricacies we will see viable and usable solutions within the month.
So,non-casual and non-sims games will not be bought in numbers any more.
Very few people will buy a 6 month old Mac port that runs slower than the Windows version any more.
Results could be disastrous: Mac devs leaving the platform, consumers buying fewer or no Mac-apps and Apple paying less attention to their APIs.

Edit: Then again,it will probably "only" affect the gaming market and the potential porting of commercial apps like AutoCad.
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#42 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

View Postatari, on March 16th 2006, 01:37 PM, said:

Tuncer, regular "hard-core" ports are indeed a goner.
Why?
Dual booting solutions are essentially ready;if I have managed to understand only a tenth of the technical intricacies we will see viable and usable solutions within the month.
So,non-casual and non-sims games will not be bought in numbers any more.
Very few people will buy a 6 month old Mac port that runs slower than the Windows version any more.
Results could be desastrous: Mac devs leaving the platform, consumers buying fewer or non Mac-apps and Apple paying less attention to their APIs.

I totally disagree with your conclusions. Dual booting solutions, as they are right now, is a huge and complicated mess. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people will not want to reformat their drive and go to the trouble of installing XP. As it stands right now, dual booting is a total non-threat to Mac gaming. But like you said, things may change in the future though.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#43 ravenpen

ravenpen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

It's a bit off the current topic, but when the Intel based Power Mac towers come out couldn't you just install a PC graphics card in one of the extra PCI Express slots and just use the Mac card for the Mac boot and the PC card for the PC boot?

I realize that doesn't solve the current problem, but I thought it an interesting point to bring up.
Raven's Tales - A Repository of Thoughts, Yarns and Stories

#44 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

not really - the graphics card sits in a 16x PCIe slot; the other slots in most PC's are 1-4x PCIe slots.  It would be almost exactly like putting a PCI graphics card into the same machine with an AGP card - you can easily notice which is which, and the PCI card will look like an eyesore.  However, it would be pretty feasible to just have two cards, and swap them when you're going to boot into windows to game.  Depending on the case design it wouldnt take more than a minute or two.  Not that i want to be mucking around with the video card that often.  Good way to destroy the thing.

#45 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1004 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

This may be a naive question, but have people done it the other way around: has OSX been booted on a PC? After all, perhaps this is our opportunity to conquer the Windoz world.
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/High Sierra/Windows 10
Home: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/High Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#46 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

um. yes it has. been done by many people just to try, but its all been based around the dev releases of 10.4.

there have been PCs that have had two 16x PCIe slots, for dual link cards or whatever theyre called. Its feasible that for apple to keep the claim of high end graphics prowess, they will implement this. Of course, if both are treated equally, it would be simple to put both cards in, and then let XP detect the BIOS card and use that...

and if youre going to be switching cards, you need to be doubly sure that theres no static and that youve unplugged the mains... not just turned it off. any sparks can fry your lovely expensive apple tower.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#47 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

View PostTetsuya, on March 16th 2006, 06:57 PM, said:

not really - the graphics card sits in a 16x PCIe slot; the other slots in most PC's are 1-4x PCIe slots

Apple's been making them all 16x slots, even if the others are 4x-8x lanes. 8x vs. 16x doesn't seem to make a huge difference in most cases.

Posted Image

#48 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

Apparently this guy has video working on his Mac Mini.  :)
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#49 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on March 17th 2006, 07:49 PM, said:

Apparently this guy has video working on his Mac Mini.  :)

thats great, know all they need to do is get it working for the x1600 so that people who want to play games on their wintel actually can.

#50 dimmer

dimmer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on March 17th 2006, 10:26 PM, said:

thats great, know all they need to do is get it working for the x1600 so that people who want to play games on their wintel actually can.

Yes, they'll have bought the most expensive, poorest performing PC they could get their hands on. Genius.

#51 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

Installed XP at work on the Intel iMac. Runs great. Plays the Independent Games festival 2004 winner (Oasis) superbly! Dead off to WindowsXP running in 20 seconds.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#52 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on March 20th 2006, 04:36 PM, said:

Installed XP at work on the Intel iMac. Runs great. Plays the Independent Games festival 2004 winner (Oasis) superbly! Dead off to WindowsXP running in 20 seconds.

great, know all i need to do is convince my freind to let me use his pc. Ya im lookin at you matt  :glare: .

#53 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on March 20th 2006, 05:36 PM, said:

Awesome! :D
Have you tried any other games?

#54 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:03 AM

I'm just waiting until someone reports a PC virus/malware screwing his/her Mac over. Gee, I wonder how much Apple might help you with such problems. :whistling:
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#55 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:43 AM

i think that the best way to avoid that is to use an external drive for the XP install... it might not be overly fast, but at the very least, it means that the virus isnt going onto you OSX boot drive (even if it is partitioned). And i think that if windows cant recognise the drive, then a virus wont be able to target it either...

that or stay of the internet, and get all the downloads you need via OSX, put them on a flash drive, and then transfer that way...

but hey, its up to whoever owns the computer as to how reckless theyre going to be.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#56 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:56 AM

View PostPegasus, on March 21st 2006, 12:03 AM, said:

I'm just waiting until someone reports a PC virus/malware screwing his/her Mac over

Uhhh... yeah... cuz that's likely to happen. When's the last time a PC worm or virus directly affected people smart enough to keep their machines patched and not run random stuff that people send them? What did even those few, old ones do, exactly, that would affect an unmounted partition/drive?

#57 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:03 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on March 20th 2006, 05:43 PM, said:

great, know all i need to do is convince my freind to let me use his pc. Ya im lookin at you matt  :glare: .
It is possible to do it without a PC. Link  :)

#58 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:06 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on March 20th 2006, 10:24 PM, said:

Awesome! :D
Have you tried any other games?

I will later. And I'll report findings here. Lots of shareware and older titles (Pharoah etc) don't require graphics cards to run some I'm going to be trying them over the course of the coming days.

I have Ethernet, USB, sound etc drivers all installed .. but didn't bother with WiFi drivers for the wireless card. Turned the hardware acceleration down to zero until the X1600 thing is sorted out. But apparently Narf and Blanka are working on a graphics fix now.

EDIT LATER TODAY -- OK, well once again the Windows world catches up with me. I tried to update the DirectX driver and several other XP patches (the non-critical ones) today and very slightly hosed the Windows install. Oasis does not work anymore and on load I'm getting a common int 13 error whenere something I tried to update seems to be calling on the video card. A simple -g then RETURN makes the problem ignored and Windows boots normally but ...  :mellow:

On the other hand, Dreamweaver flies like a rocket. I d/led the version 8 demo (even though we have full licenses for Mac and Windows versions of Studio 8) and it works like a charm. Very fast actually.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#59 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on March 21st 2006, 12:03 AM, said:

It is possible to do it without a PC. Link  :)

yah, i saw that but its not exactly OFFICIAL. meaning tested by the guy who started the winxp on a mac contest.