6 replies to this topic

#1 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 03:18 AM

It's not really a "Mac" piece of hardware, but the Apple AR/VR headset has been rumoured for a while. Now this is getting more concrete.

https://www.bloomber...-and-ar-glasses

However, there are few things that don't make much sense to me.
  • The "N301" headset is supposed to support both AR and VR, although these concepts are quite radically different. For one, an AR headset must be transparent and a VR headset must be opaque.
  • It is supposed to be autonomous, so I take that it does not require a smartphone or PC. So it would be powered by its own OS, have storage, CPU, GPU, RAM + display. Some prototype variant would be paired with a dedicated "hub" (why not just a Mac or Apple TV??) making it "blow anything else on the market out of the water". I'm not sure what "anything else" refers to here. Standalone headsets I suppose, like the Oculus Go. In that case that doesn't mean much.
  • the headset is supposed "to feature ultra-high-resolution screens that will make it almost impossible for a user to differentiate the virtual world from the real one.". Yeah sure... Even the most powerful GPU cannot do that, but a standalone headset could do it? Or are they only talking about picture quality? Even so, no display even comes close to the real world, let alone a display that is so close to your eyes.
  • N301 would be focused on gaming. Color me skeptical. Apple has never produced any hardware focused on gaming, and they don't really understand gaming in general.
Thoughts?

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4572 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:58 AM

View Postjeannot, on 20 June 2020 - 03:18 AM, said:

Some prototype variant would be paired with a dedicated "hub" (why not just a Mac or Apple TV??)

An Apple TV is not nearly powerfull enough at this point. And there's no point in selling an Apple TV with the potential to use as a VR hub, because it is highly unlikely that many people would get one for it.

the headset is supposed "to feature ultra-high-resolution screens that will make it almost impossible for a user to differentiate the virtual world from the real one.". Yeah sure... Even the most powerful GPU cannot do that, but a standalone headset could do it? Or are they only talking about picture quality?

My guess would be they mean resolution only.

N301 would be focused on gaming. Color me skeptical. Apple has never produced any hardware focused on gaming

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Apple_Pippin
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#3 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:00 AM

Ah yes, the pippin. Well, it doesn't really disprove my point does it? :teehee:

As for the purported hub, if you create something that is powerful enough to power a VR headset, at least make it useful for something else, like content consumption (apple TV) or... work (Mac).

#4 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:22 AM

View Postjeannot, on 20 June 2020 - 03:18 AM, said:

Thoughts?

Don't waste your time reading rumours.

#5 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:03 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 20 June 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

Best advise ever. When I got my first MacBook and iPhone I wanted to know what was going on in the Apple world and I started reading so-called "Apple news" on websites dedicated to bringing you the latest "Apple news". This "news" was always something like "This is what the new iPhone will look like" or "Apple will show its own television this WWDC". That's not news. Everyone can just make a guess and put it on the internet. During this time I went from one website to the other, but all of those websites are exactly the same: 99% of all "news" is just rumours.

I hoped to find a website that didn't post any rumours at all, but of course, if they wouldn't post any rumours, there'd be almost nothing to post on their websites and who's going to visit a website where nothing's happening? To compete with all of those other websites that post one rumour after the other, you'd just have to do the same thing. Otherwise your visitors will go to those other websites where there are actually new things to read every single day.

So, I understand why every website keeps on posting one rumour after the other, but I had enough of all of these ridiculous rumours and just completely stopped visiting those websites. I haven't visited any of them for several years. These websites are all completely destroyed by all of those rumours.

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4572 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:17 AM

At least for the iPhone and iPad they are such big things these days, that we always know well in advance more or less what we are going to get, due to rumors, since they paint a pretty clear picture due to leaks.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#7 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:33 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 20 June 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

I don't see it as a waste of time. At worse, it leads to interesting speculations. Apple clearly is interested in AR. They're also sufficiently interested in VR to make VR-specific APIs in Metal.

And such a detailed "report" from Bloomberg is not your average rumour. Mark Gurman has a good history of accuracy (but he's fallible).
Gurman is a journalist. At least we know he not pulling the story out of his butt, as this could only hurt his reputation. Maybe he's being trolled by someone pretending to be an Apple employee, or by Apple itself in order to find leakers.