8 replies to this topic

#1 jos

jos

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

Like the topic title says: What Mac games did you recently finish?

Obviously the only games that count are native Mac games, so games you played on a Windows machine, on your Mac using Bootcamp, Parallels or Wine or whatever do not count. For instance: I've recently played Doom 3 on my Mac, but the expansion pack Resurrection of Evil and the new Doom from 2016 on my Windows laptop, because id Software abandoned the Mac, which is a real shame, because I always loved their games.

So, these are the Mac games I recently finished:
- Shadow Tactics: An absolutely fantastic game with the gameplay of Commandos, but in a Japanese setting. Performance is superb, as it even runs on an old MacBook with onboard Intel GPU.
- Mafia II: I've always loved the first game. Now I've finally played the sequel and it's an amazing game. Great story, good gameplay and beautiful graphics.
- Doom 3: A completely different game from the new Doom (and the first two Dooms of course, but I've actually never played those old Doom games), but I love both of them. There has always been a lot of hate towards Doom 3, but I like this slow, dark, jump-scare, horror version of Doom just as much as the fast-paced, glory-killing version of Doom.
- Prey: Most unique game I've ever played. This game just keeps on surprising you. Switching gravity, walking against walls and on ceilings, weapons that are alive, enemies that come through some kind of door that looks like a vagina. With this game you just never know what to expect next. An incredibly good game.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1544 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

I loved Shadow Tactics! I recently finished it too. But I played it on my PC, so it doesnít count :(

The last game I played on my Mac was the remaster of Day of the Tentacle. The time mechanic was cool and there were some fun puzzles and characters, but there wasnít much of a plot which was disappointing. But I think itís a much better game gameplay wise than Grim Fandango.

#3 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

Guess it depends what you call complete these days with all achievements and extra bits, rare I get close with all.

In terms of the main story etc. though:

Rise of the Tomb Raider
F1 2017 - still playing but on my 3rd 100% career season
Shadow Warior
Starcraft 2 single player last Protos one
Bioshock Infinity (2nd time)
Life is strange
Fahrenheit indigo prohecy
Spec Ops
Bioshock 2

Must get back to:

Latest Deus Ex
Mad Max
Mordor
Sleeping Dogs - struggle with combat
Dying light
Hitman
....and many more

Would like to play the latest Doom, Wolfenstein, GTA V etc. but like you say unlikely to get native versions.

Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2143 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

Avernum 3, might go back for a second pass soon.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2143 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

I might grab it on iPad though so I can sit on the couch and play. My daughter likes to watch "the cats" fight but my leg falls asleep when she sits on my lap in the office chair so long.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 jos

jos

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

View Postmattw, on 11 May 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Guess it depends what you call complete these days with all achievements and extra bits, rare I get close with all.

Good point. As you can see from my own list, except for Mafia II those are all linear games without any side missions, achievements, DLC and all of those kind of things, so I didn't even think about all of these extra bits. Let's just say completing a game means completing the main story line.

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2623 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

The Fool and His Money.

Good god. Towards the end I started using hints, AND an anagram solver (I am not good at anagrams) and it still took me days to finish. There's a lot of clever bits I got to experience this way so I'm not sad I took shortcuts, but it was a little disappointing. I was proud that my roommate and I finishing the first one without hints, but this one was a larger, harder game.

I guess Cliff Johnson's beta testers were all insanely smart puzzle solvers, the kind who solve NYT crosswords in minutes. In fact the credits list one of the testers as Stephan Sondheim, the famous composer who is also known for designing cryptic crosswords. I'm sure those solvers would be aghast that I'm saying the game should be a bit easier and/or shorter, but that's my opinion. (Don't get me started about the auction puzzles.)

Anyway I got my money's worth, and I'm glad I pledged to help it get made, all those years ago.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2623 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Finished Half-Life 2 Lost Coast.

I know it's a tech demo, and takes almost as long to install as it does to play all the way through. I still get to remove it from my Steam backlog though.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2623 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

Psychonauts.

As a rule I am not good at platformers, nor do I like boss battles. So I was frustrated quite often while playing this, but i wouldn't have dreamed of stopping because the game is so delightful and funny, and sometimes even touching. Really happy a sequel is in development.

Also finished Overload's single-player mode. Not sure how much longer I'll keep playing its challenge mode (bots) and multiplayer (mostly hardcore players who are much better than me).

(Not sure what to play next. I've made good progress on my Steam backlog, tempting to keep the streak going with another close-ended single-player game. Maybe HL2: Ep2, or a point-and-click adventure game.)
www.mindthecube.com