Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#441 speedcat_feral

speedcat_feral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

Hi all! Hope you’ve been keeping well over the past month. We’ve got another newsletter question, which your answers could feature in:

What is your most played video game, and why?

Stay safe, and sign-up for our newsletter here: https://www.feralint...om/xx/register/

Posted Image  I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#442 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Diesel Powered Zetros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:05 AM

View Postspeedcat_feral, on 14 May 2020 - 08:55 AM, said:

Hi all! Hope you’ve been keeping well over the past month. We’ve got another newsletter question, which your answers could feature in:

Stay safe, and sign-up for our newsletter here: https://www.feralint...om/xx/register/

All-time? Still Borderlands 2.
Currently? War Thunder.
Devices I play games on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 32 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors) — 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine

iPhone X — 256 GB | Silver
iPhone 5s — 32 GB | Space Gray
iPad Pro (10.5-inch) — 256 GB | Space Gray
iPad Air 2 — 64 GB | Space Gray
iPad — 16 GB
iPod touch (3rd generation) — 32 GB
iPod touch — 8 GB
Apple Watch (1st generation) — 42 mm | Stainless Steel (Yes, there's games for watchOS)

#443 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17751 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

My most played video game would be hands down (and hats off), The Marathon Trilogy.  I spent an entire decade playing the game, creating maps and scenarios, creating websites dedicated to the game, and talking to Marathon gamers online starting with alt.games.marathon back in the dark ages to more recently here in the IMG forum.  It completely captured my imagination and taught me that FPS was a great tool to lessen the effects of wartime PTSD.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#444 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:54 AM

World of Warcraft. Been playing it pretty much constantly since 2005...it's an endless video game, and one of the best singleplayer experiences out there.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#445 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4568 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:00 AM

Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword. 800 hours of that according to Steam, and 600 hours more of the vanilla edition. :P Honorable mentions: All other Civilization games. Baldur's Gate 1. Borderlands 2 (162 hours according to Steam). Super Mario and Legend of Zelda 3D games. Marathon 1-3 (I was also a map builder and LAN player).

My currently most played game would be Civilization VI, where I am currently at 323 hours. Won't play more of that, before I can snatch up the Platinium Edition for really cheap, so I can get all those DLCs and expansions. :)
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#446 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

That's a great question. I would have to say one of: Marathon Trilogy (multiplayer, map making, etc.), Myth II (multiplayer and mapmaking), Diablo 2, Halo, or Deus Ex (original).

Lately according to Steam Borderlands 2 has the most (150+ hours), followed by Total War: Warhammer II, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Civ VI, Civ IV, and XCom 2. I had to cut myself off from the Total War and Civ franchises after a certain period of time - those can be endless :)

#447 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8714 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:19 PM

View Postspeedcat_feral, on 14 May 2020 - 08:55 AM, said:

That would probably be a toss up between Frontier: Elite II and Their Finest Hour back in my Amiga days. Frontier was simply captivating due to its complete freedom of action, and its huge and (for its time) incredibly realistic simulation of the Milky Way. And in TFH it just was tons of fun to hunt Jerries over the Channel in my Spitfire.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#448 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1763 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:21 PM

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Multiplayer. There's nothing quite like the challenge of the cat and mouse offered by playing against my fellow man—with the assumption of similar weaponry, training and lack of innocent civilians around.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#449 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:23 PM

World of Warcraft Classic. There is always so much to do and multiplayer is my thing.

#450 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:55 AM

Age of Empires II
The skirmish missions of this game offer endless hours of gameplay. Just set the map and the civilisations of yourself, allies and opponents to random and every single match will be completely different.

One time you're playing as the Japanese against the Turks on water, the next game you're playing as the Vikings against the Persians in a forest.

#451 speedcat_feral

speedcat_feral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:24 AM

Greetings InsideMacGames! It’s time for another newsletter question. This month, we’re dying to know…

Do you prefer melee or ranged combat in video games, and why?

Posted Image  I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#452 jos

jos

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:50 AM

View Postspeedcat_feral, on 16 June 2020 - 08:24 AM, said:

Do you prefer melee or ranged combat in video games, and why?

Ranged, because I'm a misanthrope who hates it when people come too close.

As for the serious answer: Still ranged, because I like shooters, while I don't care about fighting games. Besides, I think controls are also much better for ranged combat. With a gun you can shoot someone wherever you want to (head, shoulder, knee, whatever), while melee combat generally isn't much more than just some button smashing with absolutely no control over where you're going to hit your opponent (I haven't played it yet, but I think Kingdom Come: Deliverance is one of the exceptions where you're able to actually swing your sword the way you want).

#453 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4568 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

Assuming you mean first person shooters, then ranged by far. I have yet to play a game with fast paced melee combat that I liked, other than almost top down MOBAs.

3D person is 50-50.

Top down view, I don't care.

#454 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17751 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:57 AM

Also assuming FPS, ranged.  Most melee isn't done well unless that is a characters strength, such as Brick in Borderlands who has entire skill trees devoted to melee.  Marathon got melee right, but still it was too weak considering the character is a badass cyborg.  One could however melee kill a Hunter or a Compiler without taking damage.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#455 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

It all depends on the game...yes, KCD does melee combat excellently, with a decent amount of depth in parrying, dodging, choosing where to strike. At least when you are a low level, archery in KCD is a major pain. The game doesn't even give you a reticle without cheating, and I quickly gave up on it.

For isometric RPGs, I love ranged characters because it's harder to be overwhelmed, and spells are more fun than hitting things.

#456 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:43 PM

I'm going to start my own newsletter. Then Feral can answer MY questions for a change.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#457 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4568 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:41 AM

Uh uh, "Why haven't your ported the Mass Effect trilogy to Mac yet?"!

#458 jos

jos

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:39 AM

What's happened to the newsletter? I haven't received any newsletter since May. June's question has never been answered and no new question have been asked. Lack of news, so Feral has no idea what to write in their monthly newsletters?

#459 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 593 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:33 PM

View Postjos, on 11 August 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

What's happened to the newsletter? I haven't received any newsletter since May. June's question has never been answered and no new question have been asked. Lack of news, so Feral has no idea what to write in their monthly newsletters?

It may be something to do with the plague.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#460 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4568 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:54 PM

Feral died? :(