MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#242 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:19 PM

I'm now thinking of added an M1 Mac Mini and just keeping my 2009 Mac Pro (upgraded to 12-core and RX580) with Mojave and bootcamp.

I'm sure my TV shows, Movies and music in iTunes could be run from an external drive on the Mini instead and the CPU power even multicore looks to have surpassed my old Mac so Logic X should be fine.

I've not really had two machines at once but it would save me a lot of rebooting and I figure I could share my 1440p monitor (using an HDMI 2.0 to display port cable on the Mini as I'm just using DVI with my old Mac and the HDMI port on my display doesn't do 1440p only 1080p).

The Logitech MX Keys keyboard says you can share it between machines so I figure I could then either switch between the two pressing a button on the display and keyboard or maybe use Steam home streaming to play PC or old Mac games via the Mini with streaming (running the old machine headless)?
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14
Mac Mini M1 16GB 1TB MacOS 11

#243 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4572 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:15 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 18 November 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

"the upgrade path" for sure...
M1 machines are at best mid range gaming machines.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#244 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:55 PM

View Postmattw, on 18 November 2020 - 02:19 PM, said:

I'm now thinking of added an M1 Mac Mini and just keeping my 2009 Mac Pro (upgraded to 12-core and RX580) with Mojave and bootcamp.

I'm sure my TV shows, Movies and music in iTunes could be run from an external drive on the Mini instead and the CPU power even multicore looks to have surpassed my old Mac so Logic X should be fine.

I've not really had two machines at once but it would save me a lot of rebooting and I figure I could share my 1440p monitor (using an HDMI 2.0 to display port cable on the Mini as I'm just using DVI with my old Mac and the HDMI port on my display doesn't do 1440p only 1080p).

The Logitech MX Keys keyboard says you can share it between machines so I figure I could then either switch between the two pressing a button on the display and keyboard or maybe use Steam home streaming to play PC or old Mac games via the Mini with streaming (running the old machine headless)?

If you're gonna go this far, just build a PC gaming rig for your second machine.  I mean, you dont have to right away, you can just use the old Pro in the meantime.  

And i'd get a second monitor/keyboard/mouse.  

Having been using dual rigs for some time now (Mac Daily Driver and a Gaming PC) - having two completely usable computers side by side is the bees knees.  Never going back, even if computer #2 is just a Chromebook or something.  

No annoying swapping, dual booting, alt-tabbing, nothing.

#245 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:59 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 December 2020 - 09:55 PM, said:

If you're gonna go this far, just build a PC gaming rig for your second machine.  I mean, you dont have to right away, you can just use the old Pro in the meantime.  

And I'd get a second monitor/keyboard/mouse.  
That's nice if you have room.

I think his original plan is fine though. Since I've been working from home I have been switching between a work laptop and a home Mini+eGPU.
Oh, I agree switching from one to the other is annoying:
  • the controls for switching the monitor are annoying.
  • I ditched the USB switcher because there were just so many wires.
  • Worst are my speakers, because of the loud sounds when I unplug and plug the cable. But I tried two different audio switchers and they both caused background hum.
But switching sound, keyboard and monitor only takes 20 seconds, most of it waiting for the monitor to wake up, and I couldn't justify buying two decent monitors, even if I had room. Which I don't.

I'd be unhappy if I had to switch a lot, but its work vs home.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#246 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:23 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 06 December 2020 - 08:59 AM, said:

That's nice if you have room.

I think his original plan is fine though. Since I've been working from home I have been switching between a work laptop and a home Mini+eGPU.
Oh, I agree switching from one to the other is annoying:
  • the controls for switching the monitor are annoying.
  • I ditched the USB switcher because there were just so many wires.
  • Worst are my speakers, because of the loud sounds when I unplug and plug the cable. But I tried two different audio switchers and they both caused background hum.
But switching sound, keyboard and monitor only takes 20 seconds, most of it waiting for the monitor to wake up, and I couldn't justify buying two decent monitors, even if I had room. Which I don't.

I'd be unhappy if I had to switch a lot, but its work vs home.

I have a dual setup and the only issue I really have is the first one, and thatís gotten a bit better now that Iíve figured out how to customize the monitor controls.
  • I mounted the USB switcher under my desk. Wires are out of sight.
  • No unplugging of speakers. I used a Sabrent 3.5mm to USB adaptor plugged into the USB switcher initially; now I have USB speakers.

Really looking forward to the instant monitor switching of the M1. Now if only Nvidia/Microsoft could figure out how to do the same in Windows...

#247 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:10 PM

I have to wonder how small your desk areas are.

My desk is this one from Ikea:

https://kaiyo.com/ik...er-desk/††(they actually dont make this anymore, but the newer BEKANT is nearly identical) I have different legs on mine (you can use any of their leg sets)

Its only about 5 feet across.  

I have two rigs and three monitors: (to be fair, one is portrait)

https://photos.app.g...2ANk3LMHPkQGvQ8

And it all fits and im not even using the left 12" for any of it.  

The Mac (a late 2014 MBP) is plugged into the two monitors on the right (a 25" 1440p/60 IPS panel from ASUS, and a 24" 1440p/60 IPS from Dell), and my PC into the one on the left (a Dell 27" 1440p/144 G-sync TN).  The Mac itself is under the desk (Ikea sells brackets you can attach to the bottom for cables - they hold the MBP just fine), but if i couldnt mount it there, a simple pair of brackets on the wall behind the monitor would have held it and still be relatively unseen.

best suggestion i can make is get yo monitors off yo desks.  =P  

If you dont need to be able to rotate them on demand, you can get 20$ TV mounts from Menards.  Mount the VESA mounts upside down (so itll tilt back instead of forward).

#248 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4572 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:30 AM

Bloomberg:
"The company’s next series of chips, planned for release as early as the spring and later in the fall, are destined to be placed across upgraded versions of the MacBook Pro, both entry-level and high-end iMac desktops, and later a new Mac Pro workstation, the people said." ... "The company said it expects to finish the transition away from Intel and to its own silicon in 2022." ..

And

"For higher-end desktop computers, planned for later in 2021 and a new half-sized Mac Pro planned to launch by 2022, Apple is testing a chip design with as many as 32 high-performance cores."
Posted Image
"They're everywhere!" -BOB