DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

Resistance is futile. You all will be assimilated.

Next gen 60 FPS 4K gaming on a $500. box will leave nothing left to hold you back. For many millions of gamers the current generation is already the way to play.

There is a reason Microsoft got into consoles and has created a path through the sea of weeds from windows to Xbox and gaming glory. It is the same reason that Gaben tried to create a Linux console. Too bad nobody wants a Linux console with a weird controller trying to run games made for a long in the tooth mouse & keyboard platform whose days are numbered.

Gaming should be enjoyed on a reasonably priced, easy to use console platform. Computing should be done on Apple computers and iOS devices. PCís ainít got no reason to live.

Embrace your future! The golden age of consumer electronics is upon us now!

I need to put together a ďIím a console. Iím a PC.Ē Television ad. Maybe that would help.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#222 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6142 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:16 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 May 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

a long in the tooth mouse & keyboard platform whose days are numbered.

Gaming should be enjoyed on a reasonably priced, easy to use console platform. Computing should be done on Apple computers and iOS devices. PC's ain't got no reason to live.

Embrace your future! The golden age of consumer electronics is upon us now!

The problem is PC gaming has been on a massive uptick for most of the 8th generation of consoles, ergo the underlying basis of your assertion is false.  If you're going by market growth or decline, consoles are showing far more signs of being long in the tooth and on the way out than PC gaming. PS4 is doing well and will probably have outsold the PS3 in half the time by year's end, granted. But much as I may like the direction the X1 is currently going in, sales-wise it's half the PS4's numbers in the US and Canada and it's about dead in the water outside the US and Canada. The S/X overhaul hasn't really bucked the trend except around the initial launch.

I like the idea behind the X1X, enough to own one, but I'll also call a spade a spade.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#223 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

Well, I am kidding around about this stuff of course but I do wonder how sustainable PC gaming in its present form will be over time for various reasons including ones I kid about now. Time will tell but I wouldnít argue that itís going anywhere in the short term.

#224 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2578 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 May 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

Gaming should be enjoyed on a reasonably priced, easy to use console platform.

I agree. There is NOTHING like playing a good game of Starcraft or Civilization on a console platform!

Literally, nothing like it!
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#225 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2108 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 19 May 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

I agree. There is NOTHING like playing a good game of Starcraft or Civilization on a console platform!

Literally, nothing like it!

Civilization Revolution was the best Civ game so 100% agree.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#226 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6142 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Civ: Rev was pretty darn fun, I'll give you that one. Enjoyed the heck out of it on my PS3.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#227 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2578 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 20 May 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

Civilization Revolution was the best Civ game so 100% agree.

Probably more accurate to say you 50% agree. Or was there a console Starcraft I'm not aware of?

Not sure I'd go along with Civ Rev being the best version but your point is still valid.

I do think there are some games that work better on PC still. Maybe not so many, but its a feedback loop. Fewer PC-first games are made, so there are fewer reasons to buy a PC, and therefore less market for PC-first games.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#228 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8210 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:53 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 20 May 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Probably more accurate to say you 50% agree. Or was there a console Starcraft I'm not aware of?
Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#229 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:31 AM

I can see a PC as a retro gaming device. Thatís why I pulled my 14 year old Compaq laptop running Windows XP out of the closet on a recent rainy day. It has StarCraft, Diablo II & Warcraft III Battle.net Editions installed. All run great. My motivation though was to play Icewind Dale II which is also installed on it.

The beauty of this old PC is the environment is perfect for old classics. The 15Ē screen looks good and is a 4:3 display, also perfect for old games.

I also have Myth II, AoE, AoE II & RoN installed with expansions. I even have NoLF & NoLF 2, Star Trek Elite Force I and II and lots more cool stuff on it. Thatís all disc based stuff. Then there is all the GOG classics.

Amazingly, Steam still updates and works. Origin offered to install a legacy client with no store which I took them up on for my C & C Complete Collection. This system runs everything prior to the C & C 3 games fine. GOG is fine via the website. Even XP itself updated. That surprised me. Obviously, this system is not for Internet access save game downloads from the aforementioned clients and one website.

All this stuff along with a bunch of other classics from GOG lives on a 75 GB drive with 10 GB to spare.

So yeah, I like PC gaming too. It has its place still.

#230 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:57 AM

I forgot to mention that every system has its awesome exclusives. I would agree PC remains the leading platform for in depth strategy titles but even there, a good deal more of that is making its way to consoles. By and large there is increasingly good coverage of all genres on consoles now.

I like the idea of an nVidia console streaming PC games. All we need are something like the old TV dinner stands for Bluetooth mice and keyboards. You can do this now with limitations, right? This might be the future of PC gaming. Turn it into  a dumb terminal console that is cheap, powerful and able to complete on its own merits. Better input controls need to be developed though. Playing games with a keyboard is a rather archaic way of doing things. You can have more inputs without going the same old route of a repurposed typewriter interface.

On the other hand, none of that may be necessary including the limitations of streaming games. Consider the very cool work Microsoft is doing with alternative input devices for consoles now to make gaming fun accessible to gamers with all manner of disabilities. Thatís such a cool thing they are doing and the new input gear is going to bring a lot of joy to a very special and deserving audience. I am so impressed with the Xbox team for their outstanding work and leadership in this area.

#231 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

One last thing I was just thinking about. Backwards compatibility has been a huge success on the Xbox One. The data on playtime says it all. It would not surprise me to see a future Xbox boot a custom Windows environment to support a huge existing library of PC games with appropriate input accessories available. That may never happen but it could. I think Xbox sales would soar if they did this personally. At that point, thereís considerably less reason for all the other ways to get PC games on a living room television to exist. Itís also a killer way to compete with SONY.

As long as this remains as seamless as booting an OG Xbox or 360 environment on demand it really would be a killer feature. I have to think this idea is at least bounced around for the long term roadmap. This is an area in the consumer electronics space that Microsoft could really own and itís one that Apple makes no effort to compete in whatsoever.

#232 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

Sorry! Too much coffee this morning I think. I forgot to mention earlier that Civilization Revolution is available on Xbox One as a BC title that I picked up a while back. Iím glad to hear you guys liked it. I am looking forward to it when I get around to it.

#233 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

Holy crap Harry. Less sugar!

I still think PC gaming will have advantages that consoles don't speaking as someone who uses both and likes both. Power levels aside, the customization of PC games is always super nice, though this does bring a con of sometimes breaking the game too. There's also mods which although are present on console now, aren't really the same as they are on PC. I'm also a bit spoiled nowadays and just wanna have 60fps on everything too :P
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#234 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, PC gaming is cool in its own way for sure. For me it's really older games that I never got around to that make the idea of playing at a desk sometimes still appeal. There is a wealth of classic gaming that realistically will never be accessible any other way. For everything else new, I prefer my Xbox One now. I know it's a subjective call but I love how simple and affordable gaming this way is and I have come to really like the experience vs parking myself at a desk.

I kid about this stuff sometimes just for fun but I don't care who does what. When everyone is having a good time doing the same stuff it doesn't matter if we use different hardware. Who cares? It's about having fun. So whatever works is good.