Jump to content


Bioshock in one week-raise yer hand if yer gettin' it!


  • Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#181 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:55 AM

ah, i didnt notice that shooting worked on them...
ive got a few side buttons which ill set to various plasmids next time i play.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#182 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

I also used my newly acquired hypnotize plasmid, but nothing I sent the big daddy up against did any noticeable damage to it including the RPG turret he promptly took out.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#183 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on September 21st 2007, 12:25 PM, said:

I also used my newly acquired hypnotize plasmid, but nothing I sent the big daddy up against did any noticeable damage to it including the RPG turret he promptly took out.

Is that good or bad? :)

#184 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

how about send him up against another big daddy??

little sisters cant be harvested/rescued unless their daddy is killed, and the game wont allow the splicers to harvest the sisters, so just steal a big daddy and send them up against another sister's daddy. which ever one wins will be so beaten up you can just take him out with a single grenade (well, depending on how much help you provided), and you get 2 sisters for your time and effort :)

im a b*stard arent i?

anyway, the whole point of them is that theyre ridiculously tough and that you need to pound and pound and pound away at them to take them down... i often find myself running away...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#185 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

I think the little sisters crawl back in their hole if their big daddy goes away. At least I think that was what happened to the one whose big daddy I stole because once hypnotize wears off, he just went to the nearest wall thing and knocked on it. Besides, he's the last one on the level... I painstakingly took out the other two.

This is the first game in a while that has left me thinking, "Wow... what an amazing game." The last one that did that was Planescape Torment.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#186 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

yeah, teh sister do crawl back in their holes, but that severely damaged big daddy will still go on patrol with a sister if yo follow him around for a while, and then you can take him out.
i also find that if youre down to one sister on a map which had more than one to start with, that you can wander round and therell be an unattached daddy which you can coerce into helping you get at that other sister.

View PostDark_Archon, on September 21st 2007, 10:55 PM, said:

This is the first game in a while that has left me thinking, "Wow... what an amazing game." The last one that did that was Planescape Torment.

its just so good that you cant help but notice the little flaws... i noticed from the demo onwards that theres a severe lack of decent lip syncing, which has been perfected in Half Life 2, and that codebase was written in 2003 really.. so 4 years, and the latest engine and theres just some really shoddy lip syncing??

also, daddies turn on you even if you completely unintentionally hurt them. whether it be they walked into some flames you started, or youve got the static shock tonic and youre in a confined space with a daddy and someone hits you... so then the daddy takes you out....

at one point, i had a daddy following me, and i wanted to go down some stairs, but as soon as i did, he would run off and try and find a different route to the bottom floor where i was. so some dodgy path finding going on there. At least he did find me again though.

but despite all these little niggles, its still a very very good game, and i look forward to the potential sequel in a few years time.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#187 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

View Postteflon, on September 21st 2007, 01:28 PM, said:

how about send him up against another big daddy??

little sisters cant be harvested/rescued unless their daddy is killed, and the game wont allow the splicers to harvest the sisters, so just steal a big daddy and send them up against another sister's daddy. which ever one wins will be so beaten up you can just take him out with a single grenade (well, depending on how much help you provided), and you get 2 sisters for your time and effort :)

Outstanding!

View PostDark_Archon, on September 21st 2007, 04:55 PM, said:

I think the little sisters crawl back in their hole if their big daddy goes away. At least I think that was what happened to the one whose big daddy I stole because once hypnotize wears off, he just went to the nearest wall thing and knocked on it. Besides, he's the last one on the level... I painstakingly took out the other two.

This is the first game in a while that has left me thinking, "Wow... what an amazing game." The last one that did that was Planescape Torment.

What I've observed if you wait too long, the LSs will crawl back into her hole after some period of patrolling for angels (corpses). However when their BD is killed they stand there and sob until you decide to harvest or rescue them. In the case of a second badly damaged BD, I would not worry about the orphaned LS. Go after the damaged BD and kill him before the second LS crawls back into her hole then you'll get two LS. However that is hypothetical as I've never seen two partrolling LSs at the same time and quite often I see several BDs looking for a LS.

I think it's amazing too! It is really menacing the way Big Daddy's move when they are charging you, from slow and lumbering to nimble and fast, faster than you can run, and boy does the impact hurt!

#188 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

Most annoying part of Bioshock so far: In Silverwing searching for required enzymes, everytime I examine a bee hive, I'm attacked and not only that, the clock is ticking! Everytime I hit the smoke to calm the bees, the door locks behind me. So just how are the crazy people getting in the door? :)

#189 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts
  • Location:Vienna, Austria

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

probably using the teleport plasmid that you conveniently dont have.

Does anyone share my opinion that SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Spoiler

/spoiler

[Edit - Fixed that spoiler (haven't played, don't know what's a spoiler in this game) for you by adding the spoiler tags.  Saves room as well as spoiled readers. - tBC]
QC.


avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#190 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

    Uberspewer

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Location:The Republic of Soviet Canukistan
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

View PostQuantaCat, on September 23rd 2007, 01:58 PM, said:

probably using the teleport plasmid that you conveniently dont have.

Does anyone share my opinion that SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Spoiler

I like how in Haze, you play a soldier hopped up on this substance called Nectar, which not only enhances your abilities, but also allows your masters to control and sanitize what you see. So the necessary technical fact of bodies disappearing from the game world also becomes an element in the fiction (more actively then say, Doom3's bodies burning up in a demonic way). The twist, of course, is that your face plate cracks later on in the game, and you're able to see the reality of the destruction around you.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#191 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:27 PM

View PostHuntn, on September 22nd 2007, 06:57 PM, said:

Most annoying part of Bioshock so far: In Silverwing searching for required enzymes, everytime I examine a bee hive, I'm attacked and not only that, the clock is ticking! Everytime I hit the smoke to calm the bees, the door locks behind me. So just how are the crazy people getting in the door? :)

yeah, that bit was really quite annoying... theres another bit i had difficulty with coming up for you.. but that was mainly cos it was another locked down area, but there was a big daddy constantly getting in the way and then attacking me.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#192 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

View Postteflon, on September 23rd 2007, 03:27 PM, said:

yeah, that bit was really quite annoying... theres another bit i had difficulty with coming up for you.. but that was mainly cos it was another locked down area, but there was a big daddy constantly getting in the way and then attacking me.

Could that by chance be after
Spoiler
  :thumbsup:

#193 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:20 AM

exactly... but even when hypnotised, they still object to taking damage from you...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#194 Wumpus

Wumpus

    MacGameCast Host

  • IMG Writers
  • 1474 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus
  • Location:Vermont

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

For the first time in a week I managed to put 2 hours into Bioshock yesterday. I'm currently in Fort Frolic, and about half-way done the objectives. Pretty cool place, although its rather tweaky and creepy.

I now have all my plasmid slots, and 5 physical tonic slots. I'm finding them the most useful. I was mostly ignoring the wrench for a while, but I have sportboost2 now in use, and I can beat the crud out of most anything. My favorite weapon still remains the shotgun, followed by the pistol and crossbow. Last would be the wrench. I only use my grenade launcher on big daddies, and my tommy gun here and there. I've only touched the chemical thrower once, but I'm thinking of dropping my freeze and inferno plasmids since I have max napalm and nitrogen ammo, and I keep coming across more but I'm full. Plus if I nab the less-consumption power up for the thrower it will probably be great.

I still use my camera every chance I get, and its nabbed me some great damage bonuses and those unique tonics. Quite fun. I also just 'made' a bloodlust tonic at a U-invent machine. More incentive to use my wrench!

Hutn,

I found the part where your locked in the lab and under attack by waves of splicers quite fun. I think it was the most entertaining combat area of the game so far for me. I also had a Big Daddy (without a sister) tromping around in there. After fending off a few waves of splicers, I hit him with an Enrage plasmid (on purpose.) he then slaughtered the next wave of splicers, but then went after me! He killed me a few times before the Enrage wore off, but I just didn't waste my ammo on him and ran around trying to dodge.

Huntn, above you said you used the Hypnotize plasmid on the big daddy in the Lab. I never saw that plasmid available anywhere yet. So did I miss it?

The area with the bees and you have to collect the Enzyme samples, that was really annoying!
Spoiler
Otherwise i just wrenched them all to death. :)
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

27" iMac, Core i7 Quad 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

#195 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts
  • Location:Vienna, Austria

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:04 AM

Didn't know about the spoiler bit. Thanks Oh Battled Cat.

About Hypnotise.
Spoiler


And my theory about
Spoiler
is that because you
Spoiler
and the
Spoiler
(is mentioned in
Spoiler
), he should
Spoiler
come out
Spoiler
.
QC.


avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#196 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

View Postteflon, on September 24th 2007, 01:20 AM, said:

exactly... but even when hypnotised, they still object to taking damage from you...

I found that out accidently using electric buckshot on a splicer standing next to a hypnotized BD.  No they don't care for that. :)

View PostWumpus, on September 24th 2007, 02:32 AM, said:

I now have all my plasmid slots, and 5 physical tonic slots. I'm finding them the most useful. I was mostly ignoring the wrench for a while, but I have sportboost2 now in use, and I can beat the crud out of most anything. My favorite weapon still remains the shotgun, followed by the pistol and crossbow. Last would be the wrench. I only use my grenade launcher on big daddies, and my tommy gun here and there. I've only touched the chemical thrower once, but I'm thinking of dropping my freeze and inferno plasmids since I have max napalm and nitrogen ammo, and I keep coming across more but I'm full. Plus if I nab the less-consumption power up for the thrower it will probably be great.

I still use my camera every chance I get, and its nabbed me some great damage bonuses and those unique tonics. Quite fun. I also just 'made' a bloodlust tonic at a U-invent machine. More incentive to use my wrench!

Hutn,

I found the part where your locked in the lab and under attack by waves of splicers quite fun. I think it was the most entertaining combat area of the game so far for me. I also had a Big Daddy (without a sister) tromping around in there. After fending off a few waves of splicers, I hit him with an Enrage plasmid (on purpose.) he then slaughtered the next wave of splicers, but then went after me! He killed me a few times before the Enrage wore off, but I just didn't waste my ammo on him and ran around trying to dodge.

Huntn, above you said you used the Hypnotize plasmid on the big daddy in the Lab. I never saw that plasmid available anywhere yet. So did I miss it?

If you have the wrench boosts, it is quite effective on splicers that charge you or that you sneak up on. The pistol with antipersonnel rounds is very effective against lone splicers shooting at you, but honestly I tend to zap them first then either shoot or wack. I tend to save my shotgun and machine gun for "the big jobs" dealing with multiple splicers and finishing off BDs.  As you, I only use the grenade launcher against the Big Fellas. I'm not an expert on Enrage. My impression is with multiple splicers, enrage will cause them to attack each other first, but then when one is left, you must finish them off. In other words it does not guarantee you immunity from attack. Therefore I'd say Hypnotize is better then Enrage for this purpose. QuantaCat gave the answer on obtaining Hypnotize. I'm rescuing all LSs. I consider grenades way too valuable to use on ordinary splicers hence the wrench is a better choice. :)

I also like the camera and the U-Invent aspects of the game as it adds complexity to gameplay. I recently got the camera upgrade and am happy with the results.

#197 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:43 AM

View PostHuntn, on September 24th 2007, 02:11 PM, said:

I also like the camera and the U-Invent aspects of the game as it adds complexity to gameplay. I recently got the camera upgrade and am happy with the results.

heres a handy hint for the camera:
take pictures of
Spoiler
and you can
Spoiler
.... very very very cool.

id gotten that during the section where
Spoiler
and then when he
Spoiler
i just stood there and
Spoiler
.
pretty funny.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#198 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts
  • Location:Vienna, Austria

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

I knew it I should have taken more! :D
QC.


avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#199 Atticus

Atticus

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Location:Sternum's Ribcage

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:19 AM

Right now, I'm not liking this game. It's tedious as #@%$.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#200 Wumpus

Wumpus

    MacGameCast Host

  • IMG Writers
  • 1474 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus
  • Location:Vermont

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:40 AM

View PostAtticus, on September 24th 2007, 11:19 PM, said:

Right now, I'm not liking this game. It's tedious as #@%$.

Atticus

Well its definitely not something you can just 'pick up' or 'jump into' it requires some thought and you need to be into the heavy mood and atmosphere... A friend of mine is actually not been playing it of late, because he just wants 'to shoot stuff' without Bioshocks complexity. But that's what I love about it so much, the more details and features the better I say. I don't find it tedious because I really like like that style of game. But I can easily see why you would say that.

And otherwise thanks to QuantaCat and Huntn for your replies :)
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

27" iMac, Core i7 Quad 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB