#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

I refuse to sign up on Epic Games on grounds their page looks like complete ass.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4165 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:02 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 27 January 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

I refuse to sign up on Epic Games on grounds their page looks like complete ass.
It sure does. SO confusing! But hey, if I get a free game for clicking around on that website for 10 seconds, I can live with that. I haven't even checked if they use direct downloads or a launcher of some sort, but the latter can only be a better experience.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 28 January 2019 - 02:02 AM, said:

It sure does. SO confusing! But hey, if I get a free game for clicking around on that website for 10 seconds, I can live with that. I haven't even checked if they use direct downloads or a launcher of some sort, but the latter can only be a better experience.
They are making a move to directly compete and take business from Steam.

First stage is they are offering ridiculous low royalties to developers and publishers, so they can cram their store with content.
Second stage will be crazy event sales (at their own cost), like steam did many years ago to get a huge customer base.

After that, they will have so many people 'locked in' (that feeling you get when you load up Steam), that they can then lax and reduce royalties, and stop doing crazy sales. Exactly what Steam did many years ago.

It'll be interesting to see how their plan goes. Sadly, I wish for a good Steam competitor... but judging by Epic's storefront... ugh, I would much rather stick with Steams crappy UI and blunt approach, than going to that heady maze of giant imagery and fat buttons that Epic is doing.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2310 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

Something Something old coots amirite :teehee:

The epic storefront seems to be designed for a video wall not the average computer. How much scrolling will you have to do once there is more than 12 games in the store O_o
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

They are going to get a bunch now they snagged up Metro Exodus.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2310 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

What a popsnizzleshow, pulling a game before release that already had been available for pre-order for months. And now they have to maintain steam depot for the folks that preordered it? Like k. You want a lower store fee, ok, but wait until your NEXT game not one that had already been available for preorder.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

"Update: A later press release we received from Deep Silver explained that the game will return to Steam a year after release. "Metro Exodus will return to Steam and on other store fronts after 14 February 2020.""

Then it's no big deal to me. I wouldn't have bought it before a year from now anyways. And certainly not on the Epic store.

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2824 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

I too wish for  Steam competitor. Their client could mature as well.. But I am not encouraged that their client supports even fewer Mac OS versions than Steam does.

It occurs to me that a MoviesAnywhere service for games would be amazingly useful! Firstly it would let players track games from multiple liibraries in one place. Secondly, it would let us launch the games of one service from the portal of the other. (Much like my Google Play movies are visible in iTunes via MoviesAnywhere.) So if Steam stopped supporting certain Mac versions, we wouldn't necessarily be left unable to run our games.

A man can dream...
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:04 AM

I think this has gone far enough - Can we get a mod to spin the last several posts into a seperate thread? Since Frigidman was the one that started it all (Shame on him!!), I vote he gets to do it, and can start with his post as the first one.

And while he does that, has anyone had any experience with https://playnite.link as an alternative launcher? No Mac version yet unfortunately.

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 30 January 2019 - 02:04 AM, said:

...and can start with his post as the first one.
It sadly orders them by post date.

On that note....

Any publisher going exclusive to a garbage store like Epic, is just showing how Epic'ly stupid and greedy they are. However when they realize the sales suck, and they wnt to go back to selling at other stores... lots of egg on their face, and probably quite a few blacklists.

It certainly paints a bad picture of a publisher/developer when I see them pull that nonsense. Seriously, as a business, I would want to publish my product on as MANY stores as I can manage... because, MORE SALES ACROSS THE BOARD.

Its just so stupid.

And Metro Exodus? MEH.... god, the first two were buggy awful pieces of garbage. And THAT gets an exlusive as like, what, incentive? How stupid are people?

And Division 2 only being Uplay and Epic? Honestly... so? Uplay is STILL required for all ubisoft games, no matter where sold. I'm surprised ubisoft would even bother. Its about on par with Origin. If I wanted Division 2, I'd buy it off Uplay anyway... where they get 100% profits.

-Fm [1oM7]

#11 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

The Metro games were great, with terrific atmosphere. Didn’t play either on release though, so they were patched.
They are niche games so it’s a bit odd of a choice on Epic’s part.

When the news happened I preordered Exodus from Steam, but unless the reviews are incredible and it’s not buggy I’ll probably refund it and get it in a year....I don’t like what Epic is doing but as long as the exclusives are timed, I don’t really mind. I rarely buy new games and I have enough to play anyways.

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:36 AM

If you liked the Metro games, you should read the books. The first one is excellent, the two sequels quite okay.

And speaking of Metro.. Exodus looks freaking amazing! https://www.youtube....h?v=pRi6bGWD04w