#101 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8257 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:45 AM

Part of this discussion is moot anyway, as Tim Cook just two days (again) pointed out that Apple has no interest in unifying Macs and iPads. That surely doesn't rule out ARM based laptops or desktops, but there won't be iOS based gimped "Macs".

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 21 April 2018 - 02:51 AM, said:

I would agree Matt that stock trading does not represent proof. It represents a perceived likelihood. My point in referencing that was that there are people who monitor tech also thinking it is going this way, so much so that it impacted Intel stock significantly on the news from multiple articles which are leaks that have to be considered with a grain of salt.
I strongly have to disagree with you here. First of all, the drop in Intel's share value has nothing to do with the actual feasibility of ARM based Macs or whether this imagined ecosystem dominated by tablets and a few computers is a grand vision of the things to come. It's simply a result of the potential impact on Intel's profit. The thought process was not "Oh, Apple wants to switch to ARM CPUs, that's the future!", it was rather "Oh no, Intel might potentially lose one of its most famous customers". And then they thought "Who cares?" as they took into account that Intel is absolutely not dependent on Apple and Intel's shares started to rise again on the same day. By now, that drop is long forgotten and the shares are worth more than before.

When you take a look at the larger picture, the effect of that news on Intel's share value barely registers. Here's the chart for Intel for the last 12 months:
Posted Image
The April 2 drop is one of the tiny dips in the upper right. That's just fluctuation.

By and large, that the tech stock traders' reaction on this rumour was a resounding "meh".

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#102 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 21 April 2018 - 02:51 AM, said:

Spike, you asked me, "And how many of those are using an ARM based computer again?" The answer is all of them. Those 10,000 iOS devices ARE computers. Even when I list that as a definition you still blow it off. They are computers being used to do WORK in a business now.
etc.....

I obviously meant desktops/laptops with ARM.

Again, I need to repeat in response to all that mumbo jumbo is again I am discussing Macs replacing Intel -- NOT computers being overtaken by iOS. For an iOS overtaking Macs or other words Macs are doomed discussion, I again suggest a different thread.

#103 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

Spike, you asked me, “And how many of those are using an ARM based computer again?” The answer is all of them. Those 10,000 iOS devices ARE computers. Even when I list that as a definition you still blow it off. They are computers being used to do WORK in a business now.

I think we get it, they're computers, people work on them. But from that you can't conclude that full desktops and pro laptops will simply go away. Or that Apple could switch those to ARM expect users to stay on board. Even if you look at the trends and think such a move is inevitable, that doesn't mean it will happen in the next 2-3 years.

As evidence, consider the success of the iMac Pro, and the very public plans to reboot the Mac Pro. Apple is acknowledging that there is a market there.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#104 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

Iím done for the time being personally with this topic. I could counter each post I just read and clarify in one case further what I meant about something but I donít want to keep doing this.

I respect that you guys have a different take on presently known information and what it means, may mean or does not mean down the road. Thatís fine too. For me this is a good time to ask that we agree to disagree for now. Weíll see what happens. We can always revisit this at a later time if and when something changes one way or another.

Put another way, I am choosing to shut the hell up about this stuff because I genuinely like you guys and really donít want to be irritating and pissing you off by stubbornly insisting well, anything really. Itís not that important to me but I can honestly say peace in the valley is. Iím not implying there isnít peace either but shutting up will help keep it that way. :-)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#105 Steve Ballmer

Steve Ballmer

The Original Fake Steve Ballmer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

" I am choosing to shut the hell up about this stuff "

Thank goodness
The Secret Diary of Steve Ballmer - "I am not Steve Ballmer pretending not to be me"

#106 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

Anyone who thinks Apple doesn't have macOS running on ARM right now isn't paying attention.

https://opensource.a...570.1.46/osfmk/

A full fledged A-series Mac, hard to say if it ever sees the light of day but Apple's had an affinity for RISC since the beginning of time. Including being one of the original investors in ARM.

Folks here are letting their long histories with Apple and personal experience impact their view of the market. The average lululemon hunbot at Starbucks on a Mac is not doing highend editing and would be just as happy if their clamshell machine was running on Apple designed processors. Heck they probably wouldn't notice if the iPad versions of these apps were dropped in verbatim.

Until Apple does $thing it's all speculation but in my experience most of the arguments against an ARM based Mac laid out in this thread are not huge concerns for Apple. Would they affect me, absolutely. The majority of Apple customers, ehhhhhh.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#107 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6173 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 22 April 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'm done for the time being personally with this topic. I could counter each post I just read and clarify in one case further what I meant about something but I don't want to keep doing this.

I respect that you guys have a different take on presently known information and what it means, may mean or does not mean down the road. That's fine too. For me this is a good time to ask that we agree to disagree for now. We'll see what happens. We can always revisit this at a later time if and when something changes one way or another.

Put another way, I am choosing to shut the hell up about this stuff because I genuinely like you guys and really don't want to be irritating and pissing you off by stubbornly insisting well, anything really. It's not that important to me but I can honestly say peace in the valley is. I'm not implying there isn't peace either but shutting up will help keep it that way. :-)

WTF man, you don't leave anything to moderate. At least curse a little, insult someone's mother, and threaten to shove a grenade into an orifice of your choosing.

View Postmacdude22, on 22 April 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

Anyone who thinks Apple doesn't have macOS running on ARM right now isn't paying attention.

A full fledged A-series Mac, hard to say if it ever sees the light of day but Apple's had an affinity for RISC since the beginning of time. Including being one of the original investors in ARM

After reading the history of the OSX on Intel project years back, if Apple hasn't had development prototypes running Mac OS on ARM for at least the last three to four years, I would be extremely surprised. Even if they never use it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#108 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

View PostFrost, on 22 April 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

WTF man, you don't leave anything to moderate. At least curse a little, insult someone's mother, and threaten to shove a grenade into an orifice of your choosing.

Those suggestions tempted me to write a long diatribe laced with threats of violence, peppered with cursing of the worst sort, all manner of personal attacks and more. Done right this would result in a permanent ban. Canít have that now. Besides, somebody has to provide a dummy for target practice.

Oh, and all that stuff about liking you guys? I made that up.

#109 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:03 PM

No. Have been paying attention.

A full fledged A-series Mac, hard to say if it ever sees the light of day but Apple's had an affinity for RISC since the beginning of time. Including being one of the original investors in ARM.
Apple engineers believed the future was RISC in switching to PowerPC. After proven wrong, they then switched to CISC.

Folks here are letting their long histories with Apple and personal experience impact their view of the market.
No. History with Apple not impacting view. View based on variety of information and facts.

The average lululemon hunbot at Starbucks on a Mac is not doing highend editing and would be just as happy if their clamshell machine was running on Apple designed processors. Heck they probably wouldn't notice if the iPad versions of these apps were dropped in verbatim.
And my crystal ball says average user would indeed care what CPU is in Mac after seeing the many disadvantages.

Until Apple does $thing it's all speculation but in my experience most of the arguments against an ARM based Mac laid out in this thread are not huge concerns for Apple.
Sorry.

#110 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:21 PM

Must.... resist.... tempt.... arghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I think I hear something, music to my ears. Ground control to Major Nelson....

Iíll just be on my merry way now. Yíall have fun! I know Iím going to.

#111 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:48 AM

I cant .... resist.... as well.....

The link macdude22 posted is for Apple's iOS (and MacOS etc...) kernel as part of Darwin. Macdude22 not realize that this iOS kernel has been on ARM since 2007?

#112 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:58 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 21 April 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

As evidence, consider the success of the iMac Pro, and the very public plans to reboot the Mac Pro. Apple is acknowledging that there is a market there.

I'm not sure how much of the pro market will be left for Apple by the time the Mac Po is reborn... From what I've read in various forums, companies switch to Windows more and more because of the way Apple has abandoned this market (no real line up refresh since 2010! The Mac Pro 2012 was just a minor speed bump, and the Mac Pro 2013 was an industrial accident and by most accounts a commercial failure).

#113 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

Feel like there is a lot of bad information in here about ARM's performance that is mostly based off of the failed Windows RT or horribly optimized apps. Also comparing the iPad's ARM chip to something like the 15W 8650U is just ludicrous. The iPad has a system TDP of 5 watts versus the single chip TDP of 15W for the 8650U. The iPad's CPU is probably closer to 2-3 watts. Comparing it to something from Intel that uses 5-8x as much power and generates 5x the heat just is not fair at all. I also don't find the WindowsRT failure argument that convincing. Windows has had literally decades of optimization for x86 whereas their ARM port of Windows was rushed out the door and then canceled before there was any real time for improvement. Granted, I think WindowsRT was an absolutely terrible idea.

Here are some actual benchmarks of ARM vs x86 in a server environment.

TLDR: Single core performance Intel wins by a good margin. Multicore performance has ARM near the top (due it's architecture being able to scale to way more cores easily). ARM also has the lowest power consumption by a good margin.

Here is the conclusion from that linked article:

The engineering sample of Falkor we got certainly impressed me a lot. This is a huge step up from any previous attempt at ARM based servers. Certainly core for core, the Intel Skylake is far superior, but when you look at the system level the performance becomes very attractive.

The production version of the Centriq SoC will feature up to 48 Falkor cores, running at a frequency of up to 2.6GHz, for a potential additional 8% better performance.

Obviously the Skylake server we tested is not the flagship Platinum unit that has 28 cores, but those 28 cores come both with a big price and over 200W TDP, whereas we are interested in improving our bang for buck metric, and performance per watt.

Currently my main concern is weak Go language performance, but that is bound to improve quickly once ARM based servers start gaining some market share.

Both C and LuaJIT performance is very competitive, and in many cases outperforms the Skylake contender. In almost every benchmark Falkor shows itself as a worthy upgrade from Broadwell.

The largest win by far for Falkor is the low power consumption. Although it has a TDP of 120W, during my tests it never went above 89W (for the go benchmark). In comparison Skylake and Broadwell both went over 160W, while the TDP of the two CPUs is 170W.

2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#114 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

View PostSpike, on 23 April 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

I cant .... resist.... as well.....

The link macdude22 posted is for Apple's iOS (and MacOS etc...) kernel as part of Darwin. Macdude22 not realize that this iOS kernel has been on ARM since 2007?

Sure but ARM64 was not added with OS X as a default SDK target until 10.12.

I said they are building macOS for ARM platforms, I never said it would see the light of day.

FWIW they have been testing (what we would consider) macOS on ARM for far longer than anyone really thinks.

https://repository.t...ection=research

We can speculate about the likelihood of an actual released Macintosh with an Apple designed processor at it's heart til the cows come home, but there's nothing to speculate about Apple building (what we would consider) macOS on ARM internally.

I expect most here don't know what I do for a living so carry on. Clearly I know nothing. :teehee:
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#115 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 23 April 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

I expect most here don't know what I do for a living so carry on.

You people should know that Macdude pushes little buttons for a living or some such silly occupation.  But if you heard him griping on Discord every Saturday night about it you would think he was some sort of overloaded pack mule, whipping boy, and company bed pan.

Clearly I know nothing. :teehee:

I just wanted to step in here to verify Macdude's claim.  Just ask his wife.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#116 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Sure but ARM64 was not added with OS X as a default SDK target until 10.12.

I said they are building macOS for ARM platforms, I never said it would see the light of day.

FWIW they have been testing (what we would consider) macOS on ARM for far longer than anyone really thinks.

https://repository.t...ection=research

We can speculate about the likelihood of an actual released Macintosh with an Apple designed processor at it's heart til the cows come home, but there's nothing to speculate about Apple building (what we would consider) macOS on ARM internally.

I expect most here don't know what I do for a living so carry on. Clearly I know nothing. :teehee:

What?

Again, that is for DARWIN - THE KERNEL. As I have stated, Darwin was ported to ARM for iOS. Your new link is also again for DARWIN, which is only the kernel!

#117 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

Full multi-user port for iOS, cool. Glad ur here to set me straight. I'm just a dumb hyperchiken from a backwoods asteroid.

I don't know why the idea of Apple having internal builds of macOS for Apple designed processes is such a personal affront to everyone here. :huh:

#118 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

MacDude, this is your first warning.  If you continue to challenge preconceived nerd notions with professional knowledge of inside Apple information and facts from your stupid high powered industry position I will be forced to remove you from your sacred duties as IMG Moderator.  You have everybody in a tizzy with your dum faks.  

("Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." Mark Twain)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#119 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

too late I removed myself.

#120 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 April 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

MacDude, this is your first warning.  If you continue to challenge preconceived nerd notions with professional knowledge of inside Apple information and facts from your stupid high powered industry position I will be forced to remove you from your sacred duties as IMG Moderator.  You have everybody in a tizzy with your dum faks.  

("Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." Mark Twain)

The only fact is the XNU kernel for source 10.12. and 10.13 from Apple has ARM64 targets for the macosinternal SDK. Everything else I've said is speculation. As I've said, I'm just a dumb hyperchikin. Don't go lumping me in with all the true experts here.