Delta Force (worth buying?)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sabbath44

Sabbath44

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:30 AM

Hi everyone, I've been looking at Delta Force for a little while now and reading lots of reviews but I can't decide if it's worth buying or should I get Return to Castle Wolfenstein?
thanks,
Cam.
www.parablevisions.com

#2 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:03 AM

Hmm well when I played it there was ALOT of cheating (you know what those PC players are like) so it really wasnt my cup of tea at all. I'd go for rtcw.

#3 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:59 AM

Dark uk, on November 30th 2005, 12:03 PM, said:

Hmm well when I played it there was ALOT of cheating (you know what those PC players are like) so it really wasnt my cup of tea at all. I'd go for rtcw.

View Post

From an SP perspective, I'd suggest that RtCW kicks the bejaysus out of DF.

Delta force is okay, but gets a trifle repetitive in singleplayer. Squad AI is reasonable, without being stellar. Graphics are adequate, but show their age compared to newer games like Halo, UT2Kx, Doom3 etc. That might be a bonus if you're planning to run it on an older Mac.

RtCW has a decent SP storyline - stupid, but decent - there is no squad element in SP, graphics are very scaleable (you'd need to download the last patch - 1.4? - to get all the truform funnies) and all in all it's a good SP experience. There's also class-based MP (which I've never tried) and the Enemy Territory add-on (ditto) to consider.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:58 AM

I haven't played Delta Force, but RtCW is one of my all time favorites for single player.  Nothing colossal really stands out in my mind about it, but it just feels right if you know what I mean.  It's fun to play and still a pleasure to look at.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:23 PM

deffinetly true.  I love rtcw and it's one of few games i actually go back too. Though i must say i'd love to have a mod that makes the weapons better/more realistic. Kinda like 'Beyond the CoD' does for (errr) CoD..
But my vote also goes to rtcw! (I hate DF!!)
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#6 Sabbath44

Sabbath44

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:48 PM

Thanks guys, that helped clear a few things up.

#7 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:51 AM

the Battle Cat, on November 30th 2005, 02:58 PM, said:

…and still a pleasure to look at.

View Post

Yeah, I bet…

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#8 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

now dis i like  :happy:

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6141 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:22 PM

Egh, Delta Force. My take: Not just no, hell no. Go with RtCW over it any day. I love the type of game Delta Force is supposed to be, but that's just it. The game it wants to be, it really isn't. It could be more fun if there weren't a number of better looking, better playing, better designed games on the shelf–but there are. Aspyr cancelled the expansion for good reason.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:19 AM

I got the game for free (delta force) and that still wasnt enough to get past the first level of the game without getting really depressed over the fact that the game has less then no soul: it EATS your soul away!!!
so basically: if you want to live don't buy DF!
cheers
yves

#11 CrAzY

CrAzY

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:08 AM

DF is a pretty good game just don't do the SP, the enemy AI sucks. Th MP is really cool, end of story. If ur gonna buy it buy it for the MP

#12 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:15 AM

i think you're right here, but there are better mp games though. I recently bought Soldier of Fortune 2 and this is fantastic in mp. Better than bother DF+RTCW - imho of course. But i don't think DF is a great buy overall anyhow, i guess that's my point here... ; )

#13 CrAzY

CrAzY

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

I agree but if ur still under control of your parents, abd ur parents want u to play T rated games... DF serves it purpose really well. Also, when ever I log onto the MP segment of BHD I find that the letters and words are cut off, I need some help especialy now that I am in a clan and need t find specific servers.