8 replies to this topic

#1 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fanatic

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:54 PM

Not strictly Mac-related, but I'm working on it — so you know we'll at least mention Marathon (and probably PiD and The Colony as well).

https://www.kickstar...ps-documentary/

I'm writer and co-producer on the project, which is aiming to be less a "history of" and more a celebration of the genre through its history — meaning that we'll get developers and other guests to talk about the stories behind the best moments/weapons/levels/characters/etc. Already confirmed over 40 interviews, including a bunch of major Bungie people (still trying to get Jason Jones, though), almost all the key id guys (soon to be all), Cliffy B, Warren Spector, Randy Pitchford, a couple of Valve people (no Gabe Newell just yet), and various others, with a few new ones to be announced this week.

(And we got it funded in roughly a day, so that's cool too.)
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://secrethistoryofmacgaming.com/

#2 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:12 AM

Looks interesting, but £30 for the first tier with a digital copy of the film is rather expensive; I'll pass.

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1502 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:09 PM

Looks cool, but an entry level of $42 is hella steep. I've backed digital projects before, and they are a reasonable $15-$20.
Computer: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020.) 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9. 64GB RAM. AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.

New Mac gaming podcast! Find it here: Website | Apple Podcasts | Spotify

#4 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fanatic

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:23 PM

I'd be hesitant at that price too if I weren't working on the project, but bear in mind that we're talking about a runtime of at least three hours (CreatorVC's In Search of Darkness films were each over four hours long) — so if you think about it in terms of content volume, it's like you're getting two movies for the price of one.

It's also the only way you're going to hear from John Romero, Tom Hall, Randy Pitchford, Cliff Bleszinski, Warren Spector, Scott Miller, Robin Walker, Dave Lebling, Thresh, nearly all the key Bungie people, Jon St John, etc in the one place.

So I think it works out at good value for anyone who's a fan of the genre, but of course it may still be more than what you're willing to pay — and that's fair enough.
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://secrethistoryofmacgaming.com/

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1502 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 01:47 PM

View Postmossy_11, on 06 July 2021 - 08:23 PM, said:

I'd be hesitant at that price too if I weren't working on the project, but bear in mind that we're talking about a runtime of at least three hours (CreatorVC's In Search of Darkness films were each over four hours long) — so if you think about it in terms of content volume, it's like you're getting two movies for the price of one.

It's also the only way you're going to hear from John Romero, Tom Hall, Randy Pitchford, Cliff Bleszinski, Warren Spector, Scott Miller, Robin Walker, Dave Lebling, Thresh, nearly all the key Bungie people, Jon St John, etc in the one place.

So I think it works out at good value for anyone who's a fan of the genre, but of course it may still be more than what you're willing to pay — and that's fair enough.

How much of the runtime is interviews vs showing game footage? Or is there narration between the stories/interviews? I've played almost every single game in the KS trailer - which is cool, but I don't need to just rewatch it either.
Computer: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020.) 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9. 64GB RAM. AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.

#6 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fanatic

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:35 PM

View PostWumpus, on 08 July 2021 - 01:47 PM, said:

How much of the runtime is interviews vs showing game footage? Or is there narration between the stories/interviews? I've played almost every single game in the KS trailer - which is cool, but I don't need to just rewatch it either.

We haven't entered production yet, so I can't say. But the interviews will be intercut with game footage and often you'll continue to hear interview audio while we're showing game footage (ie the game footage supports the interviews, which will mainly talk about the games). None of CreatorVC's previous films used a narrator, and we currently have no plans to change that here. If you really want a sense of how the film will be structured, take a look at In Search of Darkness or In Search of Darkness Part II. We're starting with that format and adapting it to suit a documentary about video games.

#7 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1502 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:26 PM

I just realized you're the guy who did secret history of mac gaming. I backed that and have a copy! Good stuff. I'm still not sold on the documentary due to its price - I mean, I'm only going to watch it once then never again if I owned it. It's just too pricey. I know you're already funded, so that's wonderful. All the same, around $25 would be a max price I'd pay.

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8714 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

View Postmossy_11, on 06 July 2021 - 08:23 PM, said:

...Dave Lebling, ...
Wait a second... Dave Lebling? Dave "Zork" Lebling? Dave "The Lurking Horror" Lebling? Dave "Spellbreaker" Lebling? Of Infocom fame? That Dave Lebling?

Really not a name I would have connected with first person shooters in any way. :blink:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fanatic

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:48 PM

Yep, that Dave Lebling. Before he and his buddies created Zork, he was one of four principle creators of Maze (better known today as Maze War), the first first-person shooter.

I wrote a thing several years ago about the game's creation, for anyone curious: https://www.polygon....-person-shooter