147 replies to this topic

#141 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2785 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

If you can, try installing on a different machine. That may narrow down the problem.

You'll have to try contacting Aspyr then, and hope that giving out MAS keys isn't the only fix.

I won a CD/DVD game from them once and when I found the key didn't work they sent me another. Since you've had two fail the problem might be more serious, but maybe it's specific to one machine or OS version.

I am not interested in any online-bullcrap where I can play games as long as a company supports an online-platform.
I hear that. But if the only options turn out to be download sketchy software from sketchy sites, or not play, I'd personally go with the MAS version.

Good luck!
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#142 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

No, it's specific to the server every DVD installed version is contacting before starting the game.
So I will have to checkout if copycat has a workaround for this.
If they tread customers the way they actually do, I will never invest a penny in gaming-software.

MAS is a very bad thing. They do not allow to download versions that I bought, you only get the
lastest for the actual OS. That's not what I want.

I have another example just today. I wanted to install Starcarft2 DVD that I played with 10.6 but now,#
no way, not even the online update works.
 iMac 2.93C2D ATI-4850 4GB 640GB BT AP SD
 MacbookPro 2.4C2D 9600GT 4GB 250GB BT AP SD
 iPod Video 30GB - Airport Extreme - Synology 406 1.6TB@Raid5

#143 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2785 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:45 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 15 September 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

MAS is a very bad thing. They do not allow to download versions that I bought, you only get the
lastest for the actual OS.

Not true. Whenever you download an old purchase, MAS downloads the latest version of the purchase that is marked compatible with your OS.

This requires developers to keep old versions available for download, which some do not. They also have to accurately mark which OS versions the app is compatible with. But MAS gives them the ability to do it.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#144 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:04 PM

Never found an example for this and I bought some games from MAS too, but interesting information.- Thx!

#145 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:12 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 15 September 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

Not true. Whenever you download an old purchase, MAS downloads the latest version of the purchase that is marked compatible with your OS.

This requires developers to keep old versions available for download, which some do not. They also have to accurately mark which OS versions the app is compatible with. But MAS gives them the ability to do it.

Apple done F’ed up somewhere on C&C Generals then, gotta say.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#146 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

When I saw someone had posted in this topic I immediately became exited. I thought maybe Aspyr suddenly released a 64-bit version of Rage on the Mac App Store out of nowhere. I knew my hopes were way too high. It's no good news at all, but terrible news. Rage is a game I'd really want to play, but as it's no longer available on the Mac App Store there's no more way to legally purchase this game. Brand-new, sealed copies are still for sale on eBay for just a few Dollar/Pound/Euro, so just buying the game on DVD on eBay would've been the perfect solution to my problem. However, I also didn't know Aspyr used online activation for their disc-based releases. The pictures on eBay do indeed show the text "RAGE Campaign Edition requires an online connection for activation." Such a letdown. What a disappointment. When you buy a game you should always be able to just install and play it, instead of developers and publishers having control over the game you've bought.

#147 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

Yes it's a shame. Physical dvd-copies require online-activation from servers that were shut down without informing the customers.
Or, DVD games require Online-Verification with steam but that is also not available on systems the game was released for (DukeNukem),
same with Starcraft2 and 10.6 snow leopard. I own the DVD but it can't install, I can't update the executable...

you can perhaps still play all these titles if you had an installation and machine from ten years ago and never got it screwed up, nicer did an update on it,
or a harddrive-defect or whatever...if you ever has to set it up from scratch you will likely run in the same problems!

Retro-gaming at it's best. Shame you silly companies. The mac-game market is very small...now it's a LOT smaller (beside that 64bit popsnizzle).

On the long run we are all losers.

#148 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:38 PM

View Postjos, on 16 September 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

The pictures on eBay do indeed show the text "RAGE Campaign Edition requires an online connection for activation." Such a letdown. What a disappointment. When you buy a game you should always be able to just install and play it, instead of developers and publishers having control over the game you've bought.

It's not just activation. Nowadays many games (especially AAA titles) are way larger than what can fit on a single DVD; Rage for instance is more than 23 GB. When you buy the retail version on DVD, you get a Steam key (usually) and a part of the game can be preloaded on the disc, so you have less to download. Granted, they could put multiple DVDs, but that's not the way it works nowadays...