DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

There seems to be some issue with keychain getting screwed up that impacts email clients connecting to iCloud email addresses. In my case, after the upgrade, Outlook had no problem connecting to outlook, gmail and yahoo email accounts but it could not connect to icloud email. This is fun because it has no password to call its own being a part of icloud. Using what should be the correct password fails over and over. As a result of this, it also failed to login anymore in Windows 10 but there the solution was to install icloud (it was not needed before) and then it magically could connect with no edits to the Outlook connection info whatsoever.

Meantime, the most recent iOS update hosed it again on my iPhone so at that point I removed icloud mail from Outlook altogether and screw icloud mail. In fact, screw icloud everything. I've had nothing but bad experience with that software. On the other hand, in the Winders world, everything just works without issue. Go figure, everything in Windows just works while Apple stuff keeps breaking on me with no changes made on my part aside of installing their upgrades. Oh, well.

I need less email addresses anyway. Outlook for regular email and gmail for gaming stuff and spam is good enough. I needed to ditch the other two anyway. I am just loathe to dump the yahoo address I had to create to keep Apple happy as they would not allow me to use my icloud address for my Apple account. That was a mistake as I already know what a pain in the ass it will be changing it, every Apple thing that uses it will one at a time have problems needing correction until I finally fix them all, just like last time I had to do that.

Apple needs to slow down and fix their stuff instead of constantly churning out more stuff with unimportant features while important features don't get the attention they deserve. Personally, I think they ought to adopt Microsoft's model of macOS - period, just macOS and forget the annual mountain range releases. Update it whenever updates are actually ready for prime time in small doses that don't break things because they were properly tested before release. For example, Outlook Mail is not an uncommon Mac application and yet the issue I reported here is a common problem following the Sierra upgrade. Why? Because nobody ever thoroughly tested iCloud keychain apparently if google searches are to be believed. Otherwise, it is some other bug but either way it should have been discover pre-release. The problem is that management at Apple does not permit sufficient time to adequately test their software before they ship it. If they did, this stuff would be caught and users would never see it. But no! Not that Microsoft and others never screw up. Of course they do but I found this stuff wicked annoying.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#42 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17214 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

I haven't yet updated to Sierra, I think I'll just wait this out until there is another update to fix the previous update.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#43 ipickert55

ipickert55

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Steam Name:Das Auto
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

I just put Mavericks on a 2nd partition because reasons and damn I forgot how much I liked the old look of OS X. Also it actually feels faster than El Capitan, but that might be my head playing tricks with me. Probably gonna start using it more often tho.
Knowledge and awareness are vague, and perhaps better called illusions. Everyone lives within their own subjective interpretation.

Ra - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#44 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 01 October 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

I haven't yet updated to Sierra, I think I'll just wait this out until there is another update to fix the previous update.

But what about the update to fix that update?

Seriously, though, Sierra is so boring that that's probably a good call. I am using exactly one new feature: Tabs in Mail.

It's also been a huge pain on my hackintosh, to the point where I'm thinking on splurging on a 1 TB MBP model during the next refresh (assuming the new tiers are 256/512/1 TB at the same prices). Every new update seems to make the hackintosh experience more complicated, not less. And it would be nice to consolidate down to one Mac again. I'd turn this hack into a gaming PC.

Downside would be that I'd game on the Mac a whole lot less. :( Pretty much just indies on the go. And I'd have to fanangle some awkward KVM solution so I could use the PC's peripherals and monitor(s) with my MBP.

#45 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 28 September 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

Razer dropped the ball big time here.

Synapse is causing Kernel panics and other issues, including most of their keyboards simply not functioning at all.  Good times.

So, I'm unsure what you're doing when you have these Kernel panics, maybe you can explain a little more?

Did you just install Synapse and are having kernel panics now?
Did you update macOS on top of Synapse?
Do you have kernel panics only when Synapse finder menu widget is running?
Do you have kernel panics when the Synapse control panel is open?
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17214 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

View PostCougar, on 01 October 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

But what about the update to fix that update?

Good question.  The most important update in my mind is the one after original install, that's the one that first went into the hands of the public where the real beta testing takes place.  The bulk of the bug fixes come in the next update.  After that the problems are relatively cleared up.  Cleared up enough for me to buy in anyway.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

View PostIrishman, on 02 October 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

So, I'm unsure what you're doing when you have these Kernel panics, maybe you can explain a little more?

Did you just install Synapse and are having kernel panics now?
Did you update macOS on top of Synapse?
Do you have kernel panics only when Synapse finder menu widget is running?
Do you have kernel panics when the Synapse control panel is open?

I wasnt having them.  It was mice causing kernel panicks, keyboards just werent working (i use a Black Widow Chroma TE).  Like, you could type on them to log into OSX.. and then theyd quit working entirely when you hit the desktop and Synapse loaded.  Mice would cause kernel panicks.  

It has been fixed as of Oct 1 with a new version of Synapse, but prior to that it was broken for everyone.  There was a 30+ page thread on Razer's support forums.  

They did release a new version, though, as i said, and fixed it.  But still... this should have never been an issue. They had the beta available to test their software on.

#48 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:40 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 02 October 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

Good question.  The most important update in my mind is the one after original install, that's the one that first went into the hands of the public where the real beta testing takes place.  The bulk of the bug fixes come in the next update.  After that the problems are relatively cleared up.  Cleared up enough for me to buy in anyway.

That's a wise choice and I should have known better but I am usually in Windows and figured issues would not matter much to me which they don't really now that I got mail working properly in Windows. Meantime, I've begun switching over everything going to iCloud mail to my Outlook email account to simplify my life. iOS screwing up icloud mail the same way caught me off guard where that was a point release that broke it. Oh, well. All fixed now. That's what counts.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell