47 replies to this topic

#21 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

It's supposed to take less disk space as well if I recall? - so far it seems to be an improvement here.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, Radeon 7950 Mac 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.3

#22 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1296 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

View Postmattw, on 23 September 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

It's supposed to take less disk space as well if I recall? - so far it seems to be an improvement here.

Yes, that's what the Ars review said.

And if you don't want Siri, it's easy enough to disable.

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17251 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

View PostCougar, on 23 September 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

And if you don't want Siri, it's easy enough to disable.

Thanks, I'll try it first but if it's as bad as the other iOS stuff reworked for desktop, I'll disable it with extreme prejudice.  Wish to hell I could disable the uber annoying auto correct spelling "feature" without going to non-apple software products such as Textwrangler.  A simple red underline is the most time saving form of correction for me.  I misspell words on purpose a lot, plus I use words that just aren't in your one-size-fits-all Apple vocabulary and it irks me no end that it grabs the keyboard out of my hand and tries to finish the word for me forcing me to take corrective actions when none are needed.  It actually squashes the creative process out of me at times.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 ipickert55

ipickert55

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Steam Name:Das Auto
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 September 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

Thanks, I'll try it first but if it's as bad as the other iOS stuff reworked for desktop, I'll disable it with extreme prejudice.  Wish to hell I could disable the uber annoying auto correct spelling "feature" without going to non-apple software products such as Textwrangler.  A simple red underline is the most time saving form of correction for me.  I misspell words on purpose a lot, plus I use words that just aren't in your one-size-fits-all Apple vocabulary and it irks me no end that it grabs the keyboard out of my hand and tries to finish the word for me forcing me to take corrective actions when none are needed.  It actually squashes the creative process out of me at times.

I 2nd this. It's so annoying and so unnecessary.
Knowledge and awareness are vague, and perhaps better called illusions. Everyone lives within their own subjective interpretation.

Ra - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#25 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6017 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:08 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 September 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

Wish to hell I could disable the uber annoying auto correct spelling "feature" without going to non-apple software products such as Textwrangler.  A simple red underline is the most time saving form of correction for me.  I misspell words on purpose a lot, plus I use words that just aren't in your one-size-fits-all Apple vocabulary and it irks me no end that it grabs the keyboard out of my hand and tries to finish the word for me forcing me to take corrective actions when none are needed.  It actually squashes the creative process out of me at times.

View Postipickert55, on 23 September 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

I 2nd this. It's so annoying and so unnecessary.

Well, good news: You've been able to turn this off since it became a feature, actually. :)

Go to System Preferences. Click Keyboard. Click Text. Uncheck "Correct Spelling Automatically" and "Capitalize words automatically." It'll go back to the old behavior of just having a red underline.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17251 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

And that would be good news indeed.  However that box was unchecked already and there was no "capitalize words automatically" in that dialog box.  I'd hate to have to agonize a moderator, it looks bad in front of the guests.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6017 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:25 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 September 2016 - 08:28 PM, said:

And that would be good news indeed.  However that box was unchecked already and there was no "capitalize words automatically" in that dialog box.  I'd hate to have to agonize a moderator, it looks bad in front of the guests.

Ah, right, capitalization is a new Sierra feature. Regardless, if autocorrect was unchecked, it shouldn't be autocorrecting your typing at all, just adding red underlines... something must be seriously messed up with the install if it's doing that, or some third party software is causing it to misbehave.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#28 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2419 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

View PostFrost, on 24 September 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

if autocorrect was unchecked, it shouldn't be autocorrecting your typing at all, just adding red underlines... something must be seriously messed up with the install if it's doing that, or some third party software is causing it to misbehave.

What program(s) are we talking about specifically? Maybe your editor/browser/utility has its own spellcheck settings? Might be worth checking.

Even TextEdit seems to have its own preference setting for auto-correct.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17251 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

Safari is a huge offender for autocorrection, but I find no Safari preference that references it.  I quit using TextEdit when they started the wonderful iOS habit of autosaving automatically, again ripping the keyboard out of my hands and doing what Apple wants instead... to save the changes no matter how screwed up I've made it.  I mean after all I'm not qualified to know what I want in my doc, and me screwing it up is proof.  I really have to give that one to Apple, I'm way too stupid to know what I meant to say.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

As long as you disable that option in TextEdit, you should be good. Not sure what to say about Safari, though. Only thing I can think of is that you have some text utility that is getting in the way of the setting...what happens if you try from a brand new account?

Also keep in mind that if you have anything in "Replace X with Y" in your Keyboard panel, that will still work even if you have autocorrect off.

AutoSave is the most useful feature to grace OS X in recent years, IMO...you know you can go to Revert...and restore an old version, and even browse versions in a Time Machine interface?

#31 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:19 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 September 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Safari is a huge offender for autocorrection, but I find no Safari preference that references it.
The controls for spelling and substitutions are in the Edit menu (they're also duplicated in the contextual menu in text fields). I believe the setting is persistent.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 September 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

I quit using TextEdit when they started the wonderful iOS habit of autosaving automatically, again ripping the keyboard out of my hands and doing what Apple wants instead... to save the changes no matter how screwed up I've made it.
As noted, Revert To (in the File menu) would allow you to restore the document to any arbitrary point in time.

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17251 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:44 AM

Well by George I think fiddling around under the Edit hood might have done it.  So far so good anyway.  Thanks!

I have my own backup system, I don't use Time Machine.  If I've thrown it in the trash I want it to stay gone, not be recoverable forever in one form or another.  Think I'll continue to boycott TextEdit.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

Using Revert To is independent of Time Machine.

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17251 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

Regardless, it's still not deleted after I delete it.  Why bother deleting at all if it's still saved after it is deleted?  Honest Apple, I really don't need to wear a special olympics helmet when I use your computer.  If I screw up I'll take my lumps, if there are no consequences to my actions then I'll get lazy and sloppy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 26 September 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Regardless, it's still not deleted after I delete it.  Why bother deleting at all if it's still saved after it is deleted?  Honest Apple, I really don't need to wear a special olympics helmet when I use your computer.  If I screw up I'll take my lumps, if there are no consequences to my actions then I'll get lazy and sloppy.

If you worked where I work you would realize that actually most people need the helmet. And pads. And possibly that bubble for immune deficiencies.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#36 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:56 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 26 September 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

You can assert your dominance by deleting a file, and then recovering it by using a disk recovery program...because nothing is truly deleted unless you run it over with zeroes.

#37 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:03 AM

Cougar, unless you use a SSD with TRIM enabled, then you gotta act fast. ;)

#38 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17251 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostCougar, on 26 September 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

You can assert your dominance by deleting a file, and then recovering it by using a disk recovery program...because nothing is truly deleted unless you run it over with zeroes.

It is deleted enough for me in that it's not taking up disk space anywhere in some protected area of the disk to keep it from being overwritten by ones and zeros.  I come from the days of the OS, app, and data file all needing to occupy the same floppy drive.  Oh what a blessing finally getting a second floppy drive was.  OMG years latter getting an HHD was so sweet, even a dinky one like the 20MB HHD I had.  So yeah, it's my disk space and I'll decide what I want to store on it, not someone who has never seen me and knows nothing about me to drive their decision making process on how to "care for me".

And Macdude, I know you have a special instance at your medical center consisting of users needing to be saved from themselves.  But here it is just me and it is all on my shoulders, with no potential catastrophic consequences such as ruined careers, lawsuits, and loss of lives.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#39 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:23 AM

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#40 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2146 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

Razer dropped the ball big time here.

Synapse is causing Kernel panics and other issues, including most of their keyboards simply not functioning at all.  Good times.