47 replies to this topic

#1 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:15 AM

So, as of right now, when I click on the "updates" button in the App Store app, it thinks for a few seconds and then does nothing. Now, in the past 24 hours, I have successfully downloaded and installed updates for Safari an iBooks Author, so it's not like the App Store isn't working at all.

I've restarted my Mac and tried again. Nothing.

I've made sure my App Store settings are checked to allow automatic OS updates so that it could do it in the background.

Nothing.

To add insult to injury, when I click on the Featured button, I can see Sierra there, and bring up the info page to download it. (I refrained from downloading it for now, because I don't want to do a clean install).

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have a late 2012 iMac.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:38 AM

You have to download the full installer. It's not listed with the other softwareupdate installed updates. It will download a Install macOS Sierra.app that will perform the update. This is not a clean install, it's actually a good bit of work to do a clean install on a Mac these days.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

Thanks MacDude!!

Getting it now.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 September 2016 - 06:38 AM, said:

it's actually a good bit of work to do a clean install on a Mac these days.

Oh? Sorry to hear that. My Pro has been getting weirder and weirder with wake & sleep problems. I've done standard upgrades and Mac-to-Mac migrations since 10.1 or 10.2, and I figured a clean install was long overdue.

I'll have to look into my options. A brute force approach would be to clone my SSD over to an HD partition, wipe the SSD & install Sierra, then copy anything I need back by hand (or reinstall). What could possible go wrong? :-)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

FWIW, I upgraded to Sierra directly from Mavericks (screw the slow-assed gimped Yosemite and El Capitan) yesterday and I was pleased to find the only issue was Mail was messed up with flags, searches, and smart mailboxes not working. Deleting my Mail folder from the user library and redownloading everything from the IMAP server solved it. No problems anywhere else except of course C&C Generals/Zero Hour doesn't work now, as expected since Mavericks is the newest version of Mac OS you can play that on.

Sierra also takes about 2.5x as long to boot up off my 850 Pro compared to Mavericks' practically instantaneous reboots, but that's at least a vast improvement over El Capitan taking 4x as long and Yosemite closing in on 5x. It's kind of sad that Windows 10 Anniversary on my BootCamp partition is now the fastest booting OS on my Mac. It couldn't hold a candle to Mavericks' reboots, but Sierra manages to let Windows edge it... on a Mac. That's just not right.

At least once booted though the UI is back to Mavericks level snappiness finally, and Safari is ultra-fast.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:40 PM

View PostFrost, on 21 September 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

It's kind of sad that Windows 10 Anniversary on my BootCamp partition is now the fastest booting OS on my Mac.

And let's not mention OpenGL performance. :glare:

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 September 2016 - 06:38 AM, said:

This is not a clean install, it's actually a good bit of work to do a clean install on a Mac these days.
Reboot, hold down command-R, format, install. How is that different from how it used to be?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

It's actually quite simple Thain.  Big Brother Apple in it's all knowing wisdom, omnipresence and omnipotence will prevent you from doing anything at all it thinks you might screw up ever.   It's like that 1984 commercial is on the other foot now for Apple.  Personally I'm waiting for the next hot chick with bouncy boobs to show up again with her sledgehammer.  (By the way, that commercial was not very politically correct of you, was it Apple?)

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

If the Rebellion successfully defeats the Empire, eventually the Rebellion lives to become to Empire.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Aye, this is why the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:04 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 September 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

(By the way, that commercial was not very politically correct of you, was it Apple?)
Who cares. It set the looks for Alien. 8) And Ridley Scott is my favorite director, so he can do what he wants IMHO!

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:42 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 23 September 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

Who cares. It set the looks for Alien. 8) And Ridley Scott is my favorite director, so he can do what he wants IMHO!

Dude, I don't care if he makes the occasional bomb, when Ridley hits the mark, he hits the mark. Definitely one of my favorites too.

Eric5h5:

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

Yeah, so far Robin Hood is the only one I felt didn't live up to his standards, and it still wasn't a bad film. Haven't seen Exodus: Gods and Kings yet though.

But bad on track. I assume there's no OpenGL performance differences between Sierra and El Cap, since it hasn't had a single line of code added. How about Metal?

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 23 September 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

Yeah, so far Robin Hood is the only one I felt didn't live up to his standards,...
So you liked the Russell Crowe Provence rom-com? :P

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:37 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 23 September 2016 - 08:18 AM, said:

So you liked the Russell Crowe Provence rom-com? :P
Russel Crowe is an awesome actor! 8) But that movie was just dull.

#16 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 23 September 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

Russel Crowe is an awesome actor! 8) But that movie was just dull.
Just to make sure we mean the same Russell Crowe Provence rom-com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401445/

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

I've not really paid attention, are all MacOS updates listed as utilities in the App Store?  Is this just apple adding Siri to El Capitan or is this a full blown OS install?  Don't need Siri, don't want the bloat.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 September 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

I've not really paid attention, are all MacOS updates listed as utilities in the App Store?  Is this just apple adding Siri to El Capitan or is this a full blown OS install?  Don't need Siri, don't want the bloat.

Major Releases are a download of an install.app, minor releases are via softwareupdate. macOS Sierra is a major release. Siri is disappointed you won't talk to her about your litter box.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#19 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 23 September 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

Yeah, so far Robin Hood is the only one I felt didn't live up to his standards, and it still wasn't a bad film. Haven't seen Exodus: Gods and Kings yet though.

But bad on track. I assume there's no OpenGL performance differences between Sierra and El Cap, since it hasn't had a single line of code added. How about Metal?

Yes, they added tesselation support. I'll be surprised if Deus Ex isn't Sierra-only.

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 September 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

The bolded part is a good reason to grab Sierra over El Capitan. It's quite a bit faster in many ways. It's not greased lightning like Mavericks was, but it's head and shoulders above Yosemite and El Capitan for performance on my MBP.

Eric5h5: