#1 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1838 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 17 December 2019 - 10:16 AM

Been waiting on this one for years. Itís been in abandonware hell. Mac/Linux compatible by virtue that it uses ScummVM. Itís a detective puzzle game where characterís allegiances vary on every play through, and there are different endings based on that and what clues you find.

https://www.gog.com/game/blade_runner

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4423 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:27 PM

I've put it on my wish list. I hadn't heard about it until I read about it on Ars Technica, and then I wanted to play it! Given this release, they reposted the article, which has a nice youtube video to go!
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3053 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:12 PM

I put it on my wish list too. I almost bought it, but my games list has been growing rather alarmingly lately..

This type of GOG release makes me very happy though. I enjoy replaying old games for nostalgia, and I also like picking up popular titles that I missed out on before. But I think there's something special about GOG rereleasing an old game and finding a brand new audience for it.

And that budgetary goal of needing to be the best-selling adventure game to date in order to make a profit? Blade Runner managed that, too.

Ok, so maybe this isn't exactly the most obscure game to rescue. :-) But I had forgotten about it, and I'm sure many others had too. It doesn't usually come up when discussing the history of adventure games, the way LucasArts, Cyan, and Sierra always do.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4423 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:03 AM

Like I mentioned above, I'd never heard of it until recently, and I'm very familiar with most adventure games in general, even those outside of Mac-land.
I guess it must have hit at a time where I was more busy with... Other things. 1997? Just started high school, so I assume that's where I discovered the other high profile adventure game known as "Girls". Multiple endings. Very high learning curve. No instruction manual. No cheats. Plenty of fake walkthroughs available from friends. Internet guides weren't available back then, only screenshots on dial up modems, which, weren't really helpful, if you know what I mean.... Crazy expensive also. And you'd want the sequels too. Sigh. Tough times!

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3053 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:31 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 18 December 2019 - 05:03 AM, said:

Just started high school, so I assume that's where I discovered the other high profile adventure game known as "Girls". Multiple endings. Very high learning curve. No instruction manual. No cheats. Plenty of fake walkthroughs available from friends. Internet guides weren't available back then, only screenshots on dial up modems, which, weren't really helpful, if you know what I mean.... Crazy expensive also. And you'd want the sequels too.

I never got the hang of the first one, to be honest. The second one thought... that was was a keeper! I still have that one.

But if I joked about it being a classic, or starting to show its age, I'd have to start shopping around for a new one.

p.s. Never lend yours to a friend, you might never see it again! Tell them to get their own.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4423 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:01 AM

Phew, I think I am on the seventh or eighth now. Even got two DLCs for it, and considering getting a third one! DLCs are awesome.. Although you spend so much time with them, that you forget to play the base game! And then when you do, you have to set the mood, with lights, drinks and snacks. Just like a good gamer!

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3053 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:15 AM

My favorite part is the anticipation when you finally get one home and start to unwrap it.

Digital copies just aren't as much fun.

Especially time-locked exclusives. With DRM. Sorry, I'm having trouble keeping this metaphor going.

www.mindthecube.com

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2362 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:18 PM

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB