6 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3174 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:52 AM

I don't even know why I typed the URL just now, but it seems that someone has quietly brought it back.
https://www.idevgames.com/

Very little of the old site remains. There's a little bit of news, a discord group, and a game jam (hosted on itch.io) that has been running for 2 months already.

TBH I'm scratching my head a little because I used to be an admin on the old site and I didn't get any notice about this. I would think a little outreach to some of the old admins and contest entrants might have been worth attempting, even if most of the emails bounce.

Still I'm very happy to see that someone is trying to keep it alive. Maybe I'll join the discord group, see if I recognize any of the names.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3174 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 03:03 PM

The discord group is insisting that iDG never left. :-) Apparently it lived on IRC for a while, but recently they added Discord and IRC is slowly dying off.

I know the website was actually down for at least a couple months, but maybe I read too much into that fact.

Anyway, that probably explains why there wasn't a relaunch of the site. It just quietly came back up again.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17727 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

IRC.  Those were the days.  Gads, the hours I spent on that.  It was how we organized when launching and running bungie.org.  Later it was how we launched Forerunners.org.  What a time sink that was for me.  I don't even have an IRC client anymore, thought it faded away.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:47 AM

Sheesh, I don't even remember what terminal emulator I used after switching from AOL to a command-line, dial-up ISP on my good ol' Performa 630CD. of course I swapped out the LC040 for an 040 to see noticeable gains in POV Ray!
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4531 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:11 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 March 2021 - 11:24 AM, said:

IRC.  Those were the days.  Gads, the hours I spent on that.  It was how we organized when launching and running bungie.org.  Later it was how we launched Forerunners.org.  What a time sink that was for me.  I don't even have an IRC client anymore, thought it faded away.
Everyone seems to have moved to Discord, for better or worse.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17727 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:45 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 31 March 2021 - 10:11 AM, said:

Everyone seems to have moved to Discord, for better or worse.

For the better!  By far the better.  The only thing Discord lacks is file storage.  We used to have a large library of Marathon maps that I set up on Forerunners IRC.  That was nice, but doesn't make up for the game friendly environment of Discord.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:50 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 March 2021 - 11:24 AM, said:

I wasted countless hours on IRC when I should have been an attentive grad student back in the early 90s. Actually, I say wasted, but I don't regret a minute of it, and I made many lasting friendships around the world which continue to this day (although I haven't logged onto an IRC server since the mid-aughts).

IRCnet or EFnet? Testify!
You must gather your party before venturing forth.