What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
2063 replies to this topic

#2061 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3180 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 February 2021 - 05:51 PM

Maybe

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 February 2021 - 02:05 PM, said:

Do it. Do IT. DOOO IT!
Heh. Well maybe when she gets to Summer break.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#2062 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8679 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:24 AM

After burning out on Destiny 2's latest expansion, I started switching back and forth between two games.

One is DOOM Eternal (via Xbox Game Pass), which is a blast. The combat is really fluent and dynamic, with the Doom Slayer running and gunning and strafing and dashing and double jumping and grappling and ripping and tearing that it's simply a joy. The weapons pack a satisfying punch and the levels are sprawling and riddled with secrets. What's slightly out of place are the extended jumping puzzles, which – while offering a welcome change of pace from the more hectic combat sections – can be frustrating and are weirdly enough more reminescent of Super Mario than Doom. The story is incoherent gibberish, but as long as it offers some pretext to shoot demons in the face, who cares? Quite ridiculous is the amount of upgrade paths: with weapon mods, upgrade points for these mods, weapon challenges to unlock further upgrades, suit upgrades, modifier runes, crystals to upgrade health/armour/ammo, and the ability to unlock sections of the Doom Slayer's base, there are no less than seven ways to upgrade.

A real grievance is Betheda.net, though. Of course Bethesda felt it necessary to integrate their own bloody online service, and it sucks balls. Not only is it completely unnecessary, it's badly unreliable (for me at least), as it constantly loses connection to its servers (no other online service does that for me), and of course it has to interrupt the game every time that happens. At least you can continue playing without connection.

The other game I'm playing is Watch_Dogs 2, which I bought long ago for a handful of Euros and decided to start playing it when the sequel was released last year. It's fine, but weirdly unsubstantial for a game of this scope. The graphics are stunning, and the recreation of San Francisco and surroundings detailed. I never been there, so I can't judge for its fidelity, though. The cast of main characters are memorable, but it probably depends on your tolerance for quirkiness and hipsterness whether you can stand them or not. The majority of missions are really weak and repetitive: most of them consist of driving to a certain point and hack a certain item. In theory, this could involve some stealth or combat, but why bother with that when you can do most objectives with your remotely controlled drones, and use your hacking abilities to dispose of the guards by either calling the cops or sicking a rival gang on them. I actually was more entertained by doing a string of side mission requiring you to photograph San Francisco's landmarks. And it's quite fun to cause mayhem with your hacking abilities.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2063 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4458 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 07 February 2021 - 08:24 AM, said:

A real grievance is Betheda.net, though. Of course Bethesda felt it necessary to integrate their own bloody online service, and it sucks balls. Not only is it completely unnecessary, it's badly unreliable (for me at least), as it constantly loses connection to its servers (no other online service does that for me), and of course it has to interrupt the game every time that happens. At least you can continue playing without connection.

I've been having this issue with IOI and HITMAN 2. Apparently their servers are clogged with HITMAN 3 players, but its so abrupt... like I'm slinking through a tough area, trying not to be spotted, and then BAM (yes, it even has a loud BAM sound with it) dialog pops right in my face "LOST CONNECTION TO SERVER RETRY?" ... gah! ... I'm fine with games being 'online required', but I hate when they do it so poorly and annoyingly like that.

View PostJanichsan, on 07 February 2021 - 08:24 AM, said:

The other game I'm playing is Watch_Dogs 2, which I bought long ago for a handful of Euros and decided to start playing it when the sequel was released last year. It's fine, but weirdly unsubstantial for a game of this scope. The graphics are stunning, and the recreation of San Francisco and surroundings detailed. I never been there, so I can't judge for its fidelity, though. The cast of main characters are memorable, but it probably depends on your tolerance for quirkiness and hipsterness whether you can stand them or not. The majority of missions are really weak and repetitive: most of them consist of driving to a certain point and hack a certain item. In theory, this could involve some stealth or combat, but why bother with that when you can do most objectives with your remotely controlled drones, and use your hacking abilities to dispose of the guards by either calling the cops or sicking a rival gang on them. I actually was more entertained by doing a string of side mission requiring you to photograph San Francisco's landmarks. And it's quite fun to cause mayhem with your hacking abilities.

I had the same sort of reaction. Watch_Dogs 1 seemed a bit more 'full' in terms of doing the story missions... with the side stuff being frill and fluff. Where WD2 the main story missions are just cake walks and more just watching cutscenes than 'playing' anything.

But it gorgeous in terms of an open-world roamer.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2064 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3180 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:01 AM

Spiritfarer - Finished this game. It's maybe a little too long. Some of the missions are a little tedious. It doesn't display the right controller button icons on Mac.

It's also deeply wonderful. I'm still not sure how it manages this. You handle mundane requests from dead spirits for things like new furniture or favorite meals, and click-to-continue through non-branching dialogs with them. Seems straightforward, but when its time to say goodbye to them it is often very moving, even for characters I didn't much like. At least some of them are based on actual people, so maybe that's part of it.

The running and jumping and other abilities you learn are fun to do. The platforming is mostly light but there are a few challenges. The animation is charming. There is some sly humor making fun of some game tropes. Lots of things to collect, recipes to learn, crafting to do, abilities to unlock. Some cooperative play possible (I didn't try it.)

So highly recommended, if you have some time and the trailer appeals to you. They are releasing new free content throughout 2021.

-
Now playing Hades. It's fantastic. Topic for a future post.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB