What is your pick for the best recent FPS on macOSX ?

FPS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rodanne

Rodanne

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

So I'm over 60 years old and I've been playing games (amongst other things) on macOS since 1986.  Like others i lament the fact that many great games never got ported to the Mac platform but many did and some were the best of the genre.
So it wasn't all Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem but things were a bit limited for a time there.
So I graduated to the Marathon trilogy and that kept me going until Bungie finally ported a version of Doom to the Mac platform.  Closely followed by Quake thanks to the fantastic "Unreal" engine and these games and thier versions kept me going for some years.  Still things were a bit sparse until Prey landed in the App Store, then came the Bioshock Trilogy and Deus EX, not to closely followed by mention Rage and Borderlands the second version of which I am playing now.
There have been some variations on the FPS genre as well that I have really enjoyed such as Thief and Batman; Arkham City and Metro 2033 but if you want a visually startling, totally original story with a  complicated sociopolitical, religious and historical premise, not to mention lovable characters (well I fell for Elizabeth) great weapon concepts and a mystery that keeps you guessing till the end (and even after) it would be hard to go past Bioshock Infinity.  Mind you the first version, the dark and equally original game,( thank you Irrational Games—2K Australia—and the brilliant Ken Levine) is also terrific and has raised the bar so high that only he could jump it.
So let me hear your views/favourites and or suggestions for me, I'd love to hear back and if anyone wants some pointers or hints (no spoilers) on Borderlands 2 gimme a response.

Cheers,
Rod
macOS Beta Tester, current primary device; late 2015 13" MBP retina 500Gb. 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

#2 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

I'm currently playing through Quake 4 right now. I've become really disillusioned with shooters lately but this game is always a blast for me, dunno why.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#3 Rodanne

Rodanne

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:55 PM

I have to admit I like the challenge of a simple rampage.  I like Doom and Quake for that reason alone although there was a story line it did not interfere with simply killing everything in you path to the next level.  Over time though I began to relaize especially in some games the story line was a very important element in deciding what to do next.  More than just strategy which is a big part of Borderlands 2 eg weapon choice, which ones to keep, which ones to sell and which ones to store is just one element.  But a really absorbing story line can change the whole nature of the way you play and which missions you choose.  A bit like RPG's you can also choose which character you want to be, each one has different skills and different enhancements.  I'm playing the game for the third time as a different character and it's a very different experience.
macOS Beta Tester, current primary device; late 2015 13" MBP retina 500Gb. 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8415 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

Welcome aboard here. I guess you will quickly find that there are a couple of other Marathon enthusiasts of yore here, and quite a bunch of Borderlands 2 aficionados (including myself).

As for suggestions: I can warmly recommend the 2013 remake of Shadow Warrior, which is available on Steam, GOG, and the MAS. It will certainly scratch your itch for rampage.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

Oddworld: Strangers Wrath ist nice, and I see no Half-Life listen here. So def. a recommendation here for the entire franchise, even if it will be never finished and Postal 2 if you can stomach the 'offbeat' humor.

PS: Yeah Marathon, was my introduction on the Mac, too. :)
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#6 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

View Postmindnoise, on 20 January 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Oddworld: Strangers Wrath ist nice, and I see no Half-Life listen here. So def. a recommendation here for the entire franchise, even if it will be never finished and Postal 2 if you can stomach the 'offbeat' humor.

PS: Yeah Marathon, was my introduction on the Mac, too. :)

I was struggling to name my favorite FPS but Half Life 2 is probably the one. Physics r fun.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#7 jos

jos

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

Of the older FPSs I always liked Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and the first Call of Duty. I didn't actually play those games on a Mac as I was still using Windows at that time, but for as far as I know all three of them were released for the Mac. It's just a shame Call of Duty is the only one of those games that runs on modern versions of macOS.

Of the more recent games (a little bit more recent) I absolutely love Doom 3 and Prey. To me those are the best First Person Shooters on the Mac.

Then there are even more recent games like Rage and the Metro series. These look really promising and I'm planning to play those games, but until now I just haven't found the time to do so.

FPS games I loved on Windows and I'd immediately buy again if they'd be released for the Mac are Far Cry and F.E.A.R.

The recent games I'd immediately buy if they'd be released for the Mac are the new Doom and the recent Wolfenstein games.

#8 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1537 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

Far Cry indeed. I still have FC3 installed on the Boot Camp partition of my 2009 cMP. Lots of fun (except for the whole 'protagonist is a d#ck,' thing). I'd love to play the newer Wolfenstein games, too! The Metro Redux games were good. Shadow Warrior has a lot of good action and a plethora of different locales and enemies. Although it doesn't feel super polished, Dead Effect was fun and Dead Effect 2 is the same so far (I'd love a go at the new Doom although it doesn't look as gritty as Doom 3). Serious Sam: BFE was a lot of stupid fun, too (looking forward to Serious Sam 4). Bioshock Infinite (what was the loose definition of 'recent' again?) is one of the few titles I played through twice, Aspyr did a really good job optimizing.

Wish List; Far Cry 3, Doom, Killing Floor 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Wolfenstein, Insurgency: Sandstorm, Metro: Exodus, Witchfire (this game looks f@ing amazing so far)

Witchfire Gameplay Teaser, this is a better quality video and has nice stills after the video
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

#9 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:03 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 24 January 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

Far Cry indeed. I still have FC3 installed on the Boot Camp partition of my 2009 cMP. Lots of fun (except for the whole 'protagonist is a d#ck,' thing).

You should like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and Far Cry 4 too, then, since they're made from the same mold.

#10 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1537 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:19 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 25 January 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

You should like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and Far Cry 4 too, then, since they're made from the same mold.
I got Blood Dragon in that small window back in 2016 where Ubisoft actually gave the game away for free. I wanted to play it after FC3 tho.
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2756 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

I remembering being blown away by the original Call of Duty. It felt really sober grounded by its historical subject matter- I thought they got the tone right, toning down the usual superhuman heroics of FPS games but still allowing you to be heroic.

There are lots of other great FPSs that would never make a top 10 list, but that I enjoyed a lot at the time. Games like Heavy Metal FAKK2 and Star Trek Elite Force. (ST:EF multiplayer was surprisingly fun. I enjoyed setting a proximity mine behind cover before running away in apparent panic from an opponent. If they chased me down too aggressively, boom!)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Second vote for Shadow Warrior, it's insane, crude, and fun af.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FPS