ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:46 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 05 April 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

Considering the performance reviews for PC it seems the performance is about the same—not great, but very playable. I'm still enjoying it more than I did the previous Borderlands—especially the Presequel.

I will say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Probably not as much as Borderlands 2, but way more than The Pre Sequel.

That being said, the Mac port performance is DREADFUL compared to Windows. I have a Vega 56 eGPU. It was virtually unplayable on ~medium settings (a bit less than medium, but more than Low) at 1080p on a 2018 Quad Core 13" MBP with 16 GB RAM, Vega 56 eGPU, and Thunderbolt 3. I could play, but not an enjoyable experience and frame rate dipped into single digits and teens quite often. On Windows 10 with an 8-year old MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 1 it was completely playable and enjoyable at the same settings, and benchmarked ~50% higher. This is with a 2012 15" MBP quad core with 8GB RAM, same Vega 56 eGPU, but over Thunderbolt 1.

Crazy that an 8 year old Mac running Windows with limited Thunderbolt 1 bandwidth to eGPU crushed the performance of a 1.5 year old Mac with Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth running Mac OS.

#262 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:20 AM

View PostHomy, on 04 April 2020 - 06:56 PM, said:

I've lost interest in the game because of things like this, along with the bad Mac port and the absence of the game on Steam.

Before we all get the torches and pitchforks (pun intended) out—I know people like to put nothing past big companies and Gearbox in particular—it probably makes sense to also consider a different view on that story: https://www.linkedin...am-maxime-babin
Devices I play games on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 32 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors) — 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine

iPhone X — 256 GB | Silver
iPhone 5s — 32 GB | Space Gray
iPad Pro (10.5-inch) — 256 GB | Space Gray
iPad Air 2 — 64 GB | Space Gray
iPad — 16 GB
iPod touch (3rd generation) — 32 GB
iPod touch — 8 GB
Apple Watch (1st generation) — 42 mm | Stainless Steel (Yes, there's games for watchOS)

#263 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

View PostMrUNIMOG, on 07 April 2020 - 03:20 AM, said:

Before we all get the torches and pitchforks (pun intended) out—I know people like to put nothing past big companies and Gearbox in particular—it probably makes sense to also consider a different view on that story: https://www.linkedin...am-maxime-babin

Thanks for the update! That wasn't the main reason for my loss of interest in the game but good to hear the other side.

#264 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:39 AM

Yea - my reaction to the original news articles was a bit skeptical. Seemed like there was a fairly well defined formula for calculating (total revenue, cover all of 2K development costs, then the rest split according to the percentages). And that this wasn't a case of bonuses being "taken" or "withheld" as much as having unrealistic expectations over what they would be or what sales would be. Now if the company leadership is intentionally setting those unrealistic expectations as a carrot to get people to stay/work hard at below-market wages then I have a bit of an issue with that.

I could potentially also see a quibble about needing to cover all of 2K development costs before paying any of this out, although it seems that was agreed to up-front and doesn't seem unreasonable.

Either way, no employee should ever bank on getting a bonus (or the size of it) - it is a bonus, not salary, and is therefore discretionary based on performance (of the individual, company, etc.).

#265 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:49 AM

View Postozzy, on 07 April 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

Now if the company leadership is intentionally setting those unrealistic expectations as a carrot to get people to stay/work hard at below-market wages then I have a bit of an issue with that.

It reminds a bit of the American tradition of being depended on tips to make a living.

#266 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted Today, 12:44 AM

April 9 hotfixes.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Borderlands, Three, Guns Guns Guns