Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

• Please log in to reply
370 replies to this topic

#341 speedcat_feral

speedcat_feral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

Hi everyone, the next monthly newsletter question hath arriveth:

What is your favourite historical time period to explore in a video game, and why?

Posted Image  I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#342 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

Definitely NOT the american revolution, civil war, or pre-world war 2 time periods (heck, theres really no time period in "North America" I enjoy dealing with in games).

I like ancient time periods... Egyptians, Rome, Mongols. But not caveman eras.

And of course, I do enjoy me some nazi killin action games, but those are pretty much coined by bethesda these days.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#343 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:51 AM

The time period of the Wild West. It's a very interesting setting and these kind of games always have great music and a fantastic atmosphere.

#344 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

Probably Ancient Greece/Rome, though I’m open to any setting. Would like to see more games set in ancient India.

#345 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:48 PM

Specifically, the summer of 1982. Because I was 10 years old, school was out, and life was awesome. (I kid, but only slightly).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#346 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4165 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:16 PM

Uhmmm... Yeah... I don't have a specific periode i prefer? I might be swayed to say early 19th century, since the world was getting really explored with science behind it, and amazing things found, so you could craft quite Jules Verne inspired stories. But they didn't have spaceships back then, sooo....
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#347 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 08 August 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

. But they didn't have spaceships back then, sooo....

This is why Steampunk was invented. ;)

#348 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

View Postnick68k, on 08 August 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

Specifically, the summer of 1982. Because I was 10 years old, school was out, and life was awesome. (I kid, but only slightly).

Both of us are quoted in Feral's latest newsletter.

#349 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

View Postjos, on 02 September 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

Both of us are quoted in Feral's latest newsletter.

/highfive
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#350 speedcat_feral

speedcat_feral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

Hi guys, loved your responses last month! Here’s September’s big question:

What’s your favourite racetrack in a video game, and why?

#351 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

I am not really into racing games, so I don't have one.

But I did waste eons of time trying to get a perfect score on the horse shooting race track in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. :P

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#352 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:36 AM

Not really into racing games either, or Star Wars, but I love Star Wars Racer (the best, or only good thing, that came of Episode One.) So maybe the classic Tantooine level.

#353 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2824 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

Mario Kart Wii, for the many hours my family played this together. Tracks which particularly stick in my mind are Wario's Gold Mine, Maple Treeway, and Rainbow Road.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#354 speedcat_feral

speedcat_feral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

Hi all, we’d love to know your thoughts on this month’s question:

What video game has the most satisfying ending, and why?

No spoilers please. :)

#355 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:01 AM

View Postspeedcat_feral, on 16 October 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

Hi all, we’d love to know your thoughts on this month’s question:

What video game has the most satisfying ending, and why?

No spoilers please. :)

Back in the days when the original Prey was released it had the best and most satisfying ending ever. To me Prey is still one of the very best games ever. After I'd finished the game for the first time I felt sad this beautiful game had already ended. I wanted more of it, so seeing how the last cutscene of the game opened the door to a sequel was the most satisfying ending I could think of. This text "Prey will continue" at the end of the game made me feel so happy. Unfortunately, we've never got our sequel, so now every time I finish the game I feel sad, because I'm left with an empty feeling. Prey is the game that had the best and most satisfying ending back in the days, but nowadays it's the worst and least satisfying ending.

#356 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4398 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

Myst V end of ages gave me a bit of a weep, and for being the 'end of a long impactful story'. I'm not sure if it was most satisfying though, it certainly was one that I remember after all these years.

However one that had an impactful and wonderfully "satisfying" ending, was Portal 1 (this was before portal 2 was even a thing). It had this awe, an amazing scripted series of events, incredible design for the visuals, and the downright satisfaction in what you did during that ending to come to that ending. It was ... brilliant in that respect. (and lets not forget the end song ;) )

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#357 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1677 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:31 AM

I liked Myst V but it was painfully obvious the game was cobbled together from leftover bits of Uru Live, and that extends to the ending. It felt rushed. Riven’s ending, though, astounded me at the time. I love the Fissure track that plays at the end.

My favorite ending though would probably have to go to Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. The way the game ties the game mechanics into the story at the end is genius.

#358 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4165 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

I am not sure I can say which ending I found the best at such.. I can say though, that the major twist at the end of Knights of the old Republic 1 completely blew me away. I have never been so surprised in a game before. Yeah, I am really bad at seeing things like that before they happen. :rolleyes:

Portal 1's ending was pretty nice I agree.

#359 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

BioShock Infinite. I can't laud the game any more than many reviews have already…but its ending—while a possibility I imagined could play out it wasn't one that I accepted until I watched it play out. I don't think I could have accepted it having played out any other way. I was left feeling like I'd finished a good book.
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#360 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2824 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

Papa y Yo - I think the game nailed that feeling of needing to anticipate and manage someone's moods-- whether that person is abusive, an addict, or has a rage disorder. The ending was both sad and freeing: you can't change the past, but in time it may be possible to move past the anger and grief, to some level of empathy.

The Last Express - The game is set just before WW1 breaks out. At the end we see its impact on the characters that we've come to know. The end credits show a map of European countries, their boundaries changing as time passes. And then the war ends, but the boundaries keep changing, on and on forever..

Planetfall - A satisfying upbeat story conclusion, plus a great joke-- the game hands you all the items you were searching for throughout the text adventure, but had to make do without.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB