2974 replies to this topic

#2961 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:29 PM

For the first time ever our poor Bob has moved a little bit on the radar. Maybe it was an earthquake that moved him from the outer ring to the one in the middle.

#2962 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:03 AM

Bob is Ferals first ARM port. That's why it moved.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#2963 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:36 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 June 2020 - 01:03 AM, said:

Bob is Ferals first ARM port. That's why it moved.
How do you know that?

#2964 MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:50 AM

View PostHomy, on 25 June 2020 - 08:36 AM, said:

How do you know that?
I think that was a joke :teehee:
Devices I play games on:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3) — 3.1 GHz i5-6287U | Iris 550 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash | Space Gray
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) — 3.4 GHz i7-3770 | GTX 680MX | 32 GB RAM | 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac (Flat Panel) — 700 MHz PPC 7450 (G4) | GeForce2 MX | 640 MB RAM | 40 GB HDD
iMac (5 Flavors) — 333 MHz PPC 750 (G3) | ATI Rage Pro | 512 MB RAM | 6 GB HDD | Tangerine

iPhone X — 256 GB | Silver
iPhone 5s — 32 GB | Space Gray
iPad Pro (10.5-inch) — 256 GB | Space Gray
iPad Air 2 — 64 GB | Space Gray
iPad — 16 GB
iPod touch (3rd generation) — 32 GB
iPod touch — 8 GB
Apple Watch (1st generation) — 42 mm | Stainless Steel (Yes, there's games for watchOS)

#2965 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:38 PM

View PostMrUNIMOG, on 25 June 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

I think that was a joke :teehee:

A smiley would have helped but yeah, it seemed strange to port the old Bioshock 2 to ARM. :)

#2966 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4351 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:04 PM

View PostHomy, on 25 June 2020 - 12:38 PM, said:

A smiley would have helped but yeah, it seemed strange to port the old Bioshock 2 to ARM. :)
Sorry, I just thought it pretty obvious that Feral didn't start their ARM ports back in January 2018, when it appeared on the radar.

#2967 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:35 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 26 June 2020 - 12:04 PM, said:

Sorry, I just thought it pretty obvious that Feral didn't start their ARM ports back in January 2018, when it appeared on the radar.

On the other hand, maybe you're right about Bob being their first ARM port, even though it was meant to be a joke.

Can you imagine both the 64-bit and the ARM transitions are the reason for this port to take such a long time? Imagine Feral started working on a 32-bit port back in 2017, then they first teased us with Bob on their radar in 2018, the next year they started working on a 64-bit port and at the moment they're working on an ARM port. No wonder Bob's been on their radar like forever. Let's hope they finish this port before Apple moves to AMD Ryzen CPUs.

#2968 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8575 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

View Postjos, on 28 June 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

Can you imagine both the 64-bit and the ARM transitions are the reason for this port to take such a long time? Imagine Feral started working on a 32-bit port back in 2017, then they first teased us with Bob on their radar in 2018, the next year they started working on a 64-bit port and at the moment they're working on an ARM port. No wonder Bob's been on their radar like forever. Let's hope they finish this port before Apple moves to AMD Ryzen CPUs.
I think "Bob" never had a very priority right from the beginning: Bioshock 2 Remastered wasn't really well received on PC and apparently buggy as hell. Also, the original BS2 already having been 64-bit didn't make the new version urgently necessary.

The necessary work to patch at least some of the old games to 64-bit certainly didn't help any other projects, including "Bob". The switch to Arm won't have played a role until last week, as Feral couldn't have started working on that before they got their hands on at least one DTK.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2969 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:16 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 28 June 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

Also, the original BS2 already having been 64-bit didn't make the new version urgently necessary.

I have the latest version 1.3 from Steam and it's not 64-bit.

#2970 Boland

Boland

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:54 PM

View Postjos, on 28 June 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

On the other hand, maybe you're right about Bob being their first ARM port, even though it was meant to be a joke.

View PostJanichsan, on 28 June 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

I think "Bob" never had a very priority right from the beginning: Bioshock 2 Remastered wasn't really well received on PC and apparently buggy as hell. Also, the original BS2 already having been 64-bit didn't make the new version urgently necessary.

The necessary work to patch at least some of the old games to 64-bit certainly didn't help any other projects, including "Bob". The switch to Arm won't have played a role until last week, as Feral couldn't have started working on that before they got their hands on at least one DTK.

Apparently there were some licensing issues with the music in the game that needed to be resolved.
So the delay has a mundane explanation. They may have just stopped working on it until those issues were sorted out.

As a side note, any game that uses metal has to be 64bit.

#2971 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4351 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:17 AM

Was there a porting delay back when we switched to Intel? Ie. will the ARM transition mean there'll be a short AAA drought?

#2972 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2980 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:05 AM

I don't remember delays, but there probably were. Or if not delays, extra porting expense. Extra testing, looking for bugs that were found only on one architecture or the other. I'm sure there was a sigh of relief when the transition was winding down and they could finally go Intel-only.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#2973 jos

jos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:40 AM

A new game has arrived on the radar. Unfortunately it's an iOS game. I don't play any mobile games, so personally I couldn't care less.

Still, for those interested, a picture of a red candle is being used for a game with the description "Build this world anew".

Posted Image

#2974 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8575 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

"Build this world anew" is a line from the lyrics to "Brave New World" from the musical "War of the Worlds":

I'm not trying to tell you what to be
Oh no, oh no, not me
But if mankind is to survive
The people left alive
They're gonna have to build this world anew
Yes, and we will have to be the chosen few!

But why the Christmas candles?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2975 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2980 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted Yesterday, 02:56 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 02 July 2020 - 12:16 PM, said:

But why the Christmas candles?
Why indeed.

I wondered if it might be  Lego Movie 2:
- has a theme about rebuilding
- Feral ported it to Mac already
But:
- would be an odd choice, given the movie was 1.5 years ago
- has nothing to do with candles

So I don't think so.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB