Bioshock in one week-raise yer hand if yer gettin' it!

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#201 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

i just need to find an hour or so that i can dedicate to it, which can be difficult at the moment.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#202 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:38 PM

The funny thing is that I actually found it too easy. I had to switch from medium to hard about halfway through because I could still kill people by
Spoiler

QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.

#203 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

If someone would explain how I'm actually supposed to kill the BDs, maybe I would enjoy the game. OK! I'm using the environment! I throw a couple of gas barrels at him, he fries a little bit. I empty a few useless rounds at him. Maybe shoot some electro bolts. He's still at 3/4th health. He one-shots me while splicers and auto-turrets turn me into Swiss cheese. I die. Rinse. Repeat.

This is fun!

Atticus

View PostQuantaCat, on September 25th 2007, 07:38 PM, said:

The funny thing is that I actually found it too easy. I had to switch from medium to hard about halfway through because I could still kill people by
Spoiler

"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#204 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

hack the auto turrets so they shoot at the BD not you (do this by electrocuting them running up to them and pressing V), use armour piecing rounds and the grenade launcher, clear the area of splicers as best you can and run away when you need to...
also, make sure you dont just attack them as soon as you see them, they wander around the area constantly, so you can come back and find one once youve got better weapons etc. etc.

theyre meant to be really really tough, and they are.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#205 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

View PostAtticus, on September 25th 2007, 05:44 PM, said:

If someone would explain how I'm actually supposed to kill the BDs, maybe I would enjoy the game. OK! I'm using the environment! I throw a couple of gas barrels at him, he fries a little bit. I empty a few useless rounds at him. Maybe shoot some electro bolts. He's still at 3/4th health. He one-shots me while splicers and auto-turrets turn me into Swiss cheese. I die. Rinse. Repeat.

This is fun!

Atticus

The first one I took down in the medical area
Spoiler

Once I got the grenade launcher dealing with BDs became much easier although still a handful.
Spoiler

#206 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

Taking some time to scout the level and set up some traps is definitely recommended. The trap bolts and proximity mines are your friends here. A pile of explosive cannisters with a mine in the middle can be enough to finish off a BD, especially if they've run through a few trap bolts first. Hacked turrets and cameras are definitely your friend, as is the enrage plasmid and any splicers hanging around. Bees can also keep them busy for a bit.

Later in the game I had so many invention components that I could just stand there and pump them full of electro gel though, so it lost a bit of the fun. I just beat it last week, and it was definitely too easy on Medium. The combat can be challenging, but you're just drowning in health and ammo.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#207 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

Interesting, b/c right now, I'm not drowning in anything...I'm always about two health kits and three plasmids away from death at any given time. I'm always outgunned and out-supplied.

Atticus

View Postnobody, on September 26th 2007, 12:59 AM, said:

Taking some time to scout the level and set up some traps is definitely recommended. The trap bolts and proximity mines are your friends here. A pile of explosive cannisters with a mine in the middle can be enough to finish off a BD, especially if they've run through a few trap bolts first. Hacked turrets and cameras are definitely your friend, as is the enrage plasmid and any splicers hanging around. Bees can also keep them busy for a bit.

Later in the game I had so many invention components that I could just stand there and pump them full of electro gel though, so it lost a bit of the fun. I just beat it last week, and it was definitely too easy on Medium. The combat can be challenging, but you're just drowning in health and ammo.

#208 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:28 PM

Maybe I'm the only one that's played through Bioshock on hard, but I was drowning in stuff throughout the entire game.  I guess that the amount of stuff you accumulate depends on how much you explore, how good of a shot you are (head shots are heavily rewarded), and the tactics that you use.  Also, it's important to note that I never used the Vita Chambers.  When you use those things, you lose a chunk of your stuff.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#209 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

Well, at this point Vita Chambers are the only way I can kill BDs. I die, I respawn, I chip away at them until they're dead. Strategy ftw!

Atticus

View PostQuicksilver, on September 26th 2007, 05:28 AM, said:

Maybe I'm the only one that's played through Bioshock on hard, but I was drowning in stuff throughout the entire game.  I guess that the amount of stuff you accumulate depends on how much you explore, how good of a shot you are (head shots are heavily rewarded), and the tactics that you use.  Also, it's important to note that I never used the Vita Chambers.  When you use those things, you lose a chunk of your stuff.

#210 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:06 AM

I've been playing on hard since the start, and except a little in the beginning, I've been overloaded with health and ammo. I find myself burning it on purpose here and there because some ammo types are maxed out, and I can't pickup any more. Combat can be challenging, but I have so much at my disposal its hard to die. I only get whacked by Big Daddies if I don't do it right, but that's only every now and then.

You lose stuff by going through a vita chamber? I never noticed. What do you lose?
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#211 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:21 AM

nope, there is no penalty what so ever for using a vita chamber. you have the same ammo as you died, same everything, but you also have half of your health back...

#212 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

Didn't think so. Just Quicksilver above said you did, so thought I was missing something.

I actually find it quite handy that it restores part of your health and eve. So if I'm low (meaning a sliver left) on health in combat near a vita chamber, I'll intentionally die, thus saving a medpack. Quite handy I say.
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#213 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:11 AM

View Postteflon, on September 26th 2007, 04:21 AM, said:

nope, there is no penalty what so ever for using a vita chamber. you have the same ammo as you died, same everything, but you also have half of your health back...

You know, to be honest, I was simply repeating what I had heard on a couple of podcasts without actually verifying it myself.  Perhaps there's only a penalty on hard.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#214 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

I've been playing on Hard from the start. I can't say I ever noticed a penalty. Maybe they were going to have a penalty, but cut it out or something?

#215 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

there was a penalty in System Shock 2, the spiritual prequel... perhaps that was mentioned?

#216 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

View Postteflon, on September 26th 2007, 03:45 PM, said:

there was a penalty in System Shock 2, the spiritual prequel... perhaps that was mentioned?

It's been so long I don't remember how you were revived in SS2...

#217 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

im led to believe that it was the same way, but there was a penalty.

SS2 was more hardcore.

#218 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

View Postteflon, on September 27th 2007, 09:56 AM, said:

im led to believe that it was the same way, but there was a penalty.

SS2 was more hardcore.

Even then I know I relied on game saves.

To be philosophical about this issue, I'd say when you die, you know you died. You can either accept it or go back and try again. I'm just grateful the game does not mandate harsh punishments for failing.

#219 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

Bioshock wins G4's X Play's Game of the Year award.