• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this. For those who don't know, it's an Infinity Engine-like RPG (think Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity etc.) with a swathe of new mechanics and game modes that I haven't even scratched the surface of yet that uses the D&D 3.5/Pathfinder ruleset (...which I am largely unfamiliar with. The Pathfinder bit, not 3.5).

Immediate thoughts...the base install is 43 (count 'em) Gb, so ouch, and performance is only middling on my late 2015 4K iMac (2048 x 1152, stuff set to 'medium'). Now I'll be honest, I've literally just started the game, but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

Is anyone else out there playing it?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3978 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:32 AM

Interesting, I haven't heard about this one before. Looks.. Generic, and lifeless?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

It's difficult for me to give a fair assessment as I've yet to spend much time with the game, but 'generic' is a good description from what I've experienced so far. Maybe I'll reassess that view at some point.

The problem - for me at least - is that as far as CRPGs go I've been spoiled by Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale (more on that later) in my youth, and very little comes close to that for me.

(Yes, I know that IWD is viewed by many as the poor relation to BG, but I consider it the superior RPG due to i) the atmosphere, and ii) the fact that it leaves more to the imagination.)

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3978 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:49 PM

Well, it should be generic I guess, as it is a spin off from D&D, and that is kind of the baseline, right? :)

But when i look at trailers, it seems more like short clips trying to show off an alpha build. Quite weird vibe actually. They really should have looked at how Pillars of Eternity 2 was promoted, because it had great trailers.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 30 September 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

Well, it should be generic I guess, as it is a spin off from D&D, and that is kind of the baseline, right? :)

Heh, yeah you're right, but I was being a bit careless in how I used your words there. I'm using it in the sense of 'mediocre'. Anyway, I'll play it through at some point and am prepared to eat my words if I'm wrong!