Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8470 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

View Postjos, on 02 November 2019 - 06:58 AM, said:

The last update to the Redux versions of both games on the Mac App Store is also from 4 years ago, so I don't think these games have been updated to 64-bit.
If the Redux versions are still available on the MAS, they already are 64-bit. Apple purged all 32-bit apps before the release of Catalina, which is why Aspyr and Feral had to remove a bunch of older games from sale in the first place.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#202 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:03 AM

It is a longtime since I did that list but I just checked system report now and the original Metro Last Light (1.3) shows as 32-bit but the Redux version is 64-bit ( I have both).
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#203 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

View Postmattw, on 02 November 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

It is a longtime since I did that list but I just checked system report now and the original Metro Last Light (1.3) shows as 32-bit but the Redux version is 64-bit ( I have both).
Great! Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I found several discussion threads on Steam where Windows players had bought the game back in 2014 before release when there was no information about 64-bit only and had discovered the day after that requirements had suddenly changed to 64-bit only. Apparently they couldn't even download it completely if they had Windows 32-bit. They talked about "150 MB error".

#204 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 02 November 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

If the Redux versions are still available on the MAS, they already are 64-bit. Apple purged all 32-bit apps before the release of Catalina, which is why Aspyr and Feral had to remove a bunch of older games from sale in the first place.

Says who? I've never seen an official announcement about Apple deleting all 32-bit apps from the Mac App Store. For as far as I know both Aspyr and Feral just decided themselves to remove all 32-bit apps. Just take a look at Shadow Tactics. This game has never been updated to 64-bit, but it's still for sale on the Mac App Store. The publisher even put this text on the store page for Shadow Tactics:

MacOS version with 32bit app support is required - MacOS 10.14 or higher is NOT supported

Actually, that should be "MacOS 10.15", because Mojave is still 32-bit, but I think Apple never forced developers and publishers to remove all their 32-bit apps from the Mac App Store. Why would they? People who are still running 32-bit versions of MacOS can still run these apps, so why should they not be able to buy them? Of course, they don't run on Catalina, but it's very easy to have Catalina hide all 32-bit apps that are still on sale on the Mac App Store while older versions do still show 32-bit apps.

View Postmattw, on 02 November 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Okay, that's good to know. Now let's just hope Metro: Exodus will also come to the Mac App Store someday.

#205 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

MAS still supports existing 32-bit apps, but new apps, and updates to all existing apps, must be 64-bit. Feral and Aspyr probably decided that if they couldn't effectively support a game without doing the 64-bit work, it was better to remove it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 32-bit, 64-bit, mojave, compatibility