puzzle macos addictive network

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pascal45RPM

Pascal45RPM

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hello?  HELLO? (LLO, LO, Lo, lo)  Wow! It's quiet in here.  All the action seems to be in iOS gaming, and Mac gaming seems to have gotten very quiet of late.  Well, for all you Puzzlers in need of a Mac based fix to feed your cravings, 45RPM Software has some great news for you.

You may have read about the research, carried out several years ago, showing that a game of Tetris can help to block the worst symptoms of PTSD. If you haven't then I highly recommend taking a look at it here, it's very interesting (New Scientist)

2016 was a troubling year.  It started badly, with the deaths of several iconic musicians (and, for me, a good friend), and then got steadily worse.  Right now it feels like the whole world could do with a game of Tetris!

I can't offer you a game of Tetris to ease you through 2017 - so instead I'll offer you my own PTSD ameliorant.  It's a puzzle game called Innecto - and it starts off easily enough before getting really difficult.  

Innecto, the addictive puzzle game from 45RPM Software, has made the jump from iOS to the Mac.  And, just to show you how much we love the Mac, we've even given it its own icon, UI and mouse pointer - rather than hurriedly copying the iOS design and pushing it out as 'job done'.
Posted Image
There are more than 100 levels and each one is calculated by the computer so no two games will be the same - giving Innecto great replay value. The game design, code, tile graphics, and segment typeface are all the work of Pascal Harris (45RPM Software) and the music and sound design is the work of Richard Hanson (Highfish Recordings) with additional music production by David Jamieson.

If you'd like to review Innecto (or any other 45RPM Software) in print or on your blog, please get in touch at support@45rpmsoftware.com and a promo code will be raised for you.

Mac App Store Link
iOS (Premium) Link
iOS (Freemium) Link

You can follow 45RPM Software on Facebook here

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostPascal45RPM, on 17 February 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

You may have read about the research, carried out several years ago, showing that a game of Tetris can help to block the worst symptoms of PTSD. If you haven't then I highly recommend taking a look at it here, it's very interesting (New Scientist)

I am a Marine who served in Vietnam back in 68-69.  I had big time PTSD, specifically paranoia (I couldn't shake the feeling of crosshairs on my back) and nightmares, oh the nightmares. It was my experience that violent FPS games help soothe PTSD even 25 years after the event.  Thanks to DOOM, my nightmares lightened up and are now very rare, I can't even remember when I had one last.  I went on to play every violent FPS game I could get my hands on: Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Marathon, and so on, till today I'm working on Just Cause 3.

It was very interesting to read your linked article.  Thanks for the heads up.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Pascal45RPM

Pascal45RPM

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. You have my sympathies - and anything that can be done to reduce the symptoms of this horrible condition is a good thing.  I remember, when I was growing up, a old man who was suffering from PTSD that he'd gotten during the first world war.  There was nothing available then which could help him, and that was a real tragedy - all these people, who'd served their country, suffering - their lives, in a very real sense, ruined.
I didn't realise that video games could help so long after the original trauma, but I'm very glad to hear that they can - and that they've helped you.  
I remember dreaming about falling blocks after Tetris binges, and I guess that's the same mechanism that helps with PTSD.  Similarly, I've dreamed twisting tiles after bingeing on, and testing, Innecto - hence my guess that Innecto might have a similar effect (obviously, this is unconfirmed!)
Oh, and noting your location as Lh'owon, my worst nightmares came after bingeing Marathon:Infinity - didn't stop me though.  What a fantastic game!

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

Don't worry, I'm fine now... ::twitch twitch::   I've been playing FPS Since 93 and haven't suffered since.  Yeah, I was stuck on the Marathon trilogy for 10 years solid.  It just had so much to give.  The camaraderie in the community, the map editors, and the game.  The game had unintentional humor, a complex story line, and gameplay that is still my benchmark for fun.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

I guess my stepdad's therapy was joining the PD in '72. No, that's a lie... he had nightmares even through that, you've probably experienced waking up to sheets drenched in sweat, too. He couldn't watch Vietnam movies without starting to get overexcited. He was never into games but I feel like if I'd read your post years ago I might've thought to offer to have him try some shooters. He's retired and chillin' up in Maine.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

Sweaty sheets left with the nightmares.  I'll bet your father still has the nightmares.  It couldn't hurt to recommend it to him.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

I've not played the game and I have no PTSD, but I saw this Nevermind game being praised by some having this condition.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

Nevermind might be a better game than a first person shooter to quell PTSD as it seems to focus on making one face their subconscious demons.  Reviewers are warning that you need to buy all the bio sensors or the game is ineffective.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: puzzle, macos, addictive, network