15 replies to this topic

#1 Jpm224

Jpm224

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:57 PM

Hey. I was wondering if there were any, fun, great, non-violent games around (such as Jedi Academy or THPS 4) that will run ok on my 700MHz 768MB RAM, GeForce2MX 32MB VRAM???   :smile:

#2 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:04 PM

Well, Jedi Academy is pretty violent considering you can chop up people with a lightsaber. And in THPS 4, you fall and bleed. But my definition can differ from yours.

Okay, try Space Colony, AoE II, AoM, JKII, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

#3 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

...non-violent games around (such as Jedi Academy)...
Just FYI, Jedi Academy has a whole lotta flying limbs. No blood, just dismemberment.

It's still fun and great, however. I must admit.

Check out Puzzle Pirates. Requires 10.3, I believe but very fun, very stylish and very original. It's basically a MMORPG, except that everything you do is ... wait for it ... done with puzzles. There's a puzzle to navigate the ship, one to buckle your swashes (ie: fighting with  each other - kinda tetris-ish), a drinking game puzzle, etc... Very cool.

#4 Jpm224

Jpm224

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:14 PM

I can stand that amount of violence, I just don't want another horribly violent shooter like Soldier Of Fortune 2  :wink: I don't really want a FPS either, btu I like FPS's such as JEdi Academy and Tron, just not thigns like SOF 2, but I do like Americas Army, great game  :wink:

#5 JohnRasko

JohnRasko

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:26 PM

Homeworld 2 coming soon to the Mac. Think about that one.  :wink:

#6 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:28 AM

Would you guys consider Ghost Recon all that violent? A little blood splattering here and there. And his graphics settings won't be all that great.

But, Ghost Recon is a good game either way you look at it.

#7 Fliedermaus

Fliedermaus

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:18 AM

Check out Freedom Force.  It should run pretty well on your Mac, no one gets killed in the game (if I remember right), and it's a completely unique -- but fun! -- game.

#8 nagareboshi

nagareboshi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:08 AM

I don't know if you think Worms 3D is violent... but that's a pretty cool game and runs fine on my iMac G4 700
kate the great

#9 stormrage

stormrage

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:39 PM

I have the exact same system as you, except with 512MB RAM. Anyways, definitely try Warcraft III, which will run fine in OS X, but runs VERY smooth in OS 9 at high quality settings for me ... so you might want to restart for that. I don't consider it that violent, considering that ... well there's a storyline at least so that makes the violence more acceptable for me ... :) And most of the time the camera is zoomed out all the way so you really can't see the gore.

Also try: CRO MAG RALLY!!! i LOVE this game, and it will run perfectly, no doubt. No blood, just cavemen in karts racing around with the occasional exploding pigeon or bone bomb. Great game! Other Pangea stuff will work great too, except be careful about Nanosaur II, don't expect to run it above the minimum settings. Enigmo is a great puzzle game to try also.

Orbz and ThinkTanks from GarageGames are a lot of fun, and they too should run great. If Tennis Critters ever makes it to Mac, try that one too, cause it's a lot of fun (tried the PC version) and should run great ...

Hope this helps

#10 Adrenaline86

Adrenaline86

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:05 PM

You should definitly try return to castle wolfenstein MP

when i boot under OS 9 i get up to 95 fps with everything high
my nickname is =TS=Adrenaline ( TS destruction server )

#11 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:47 AM

Alice is X-native and a great game--I played it all the way through on my 700 MHz eMac (same GPU as you, less RAM than you). Some violence but not graphic--an amazing-looking game. RealMYST is entirely non-violent, a little slow at 700 MHz but it's not a problem at all since you're solving puzzles. Also amazing-looking.

I'd also consider Unreal Tournament; Game of the Year Edition. (The old "UT99.") It runs great in OS 9 and OK in Classic. And there's a X-native patch too--still a beta with some quirks, but a full version is still expected. UT can be set to be totall non-violent: just choose No Gore and robot opponents. You can even stop people from falling over as bodies if you download the Disintegration mutator.

The main thing going for any UT game is that you get infinite, widely-varied games as free downloads after you buy. The user-built mods, maps, and gametypes are endless and high-quality. You can download everything up to and including entirely new games with objectives that are nothing to do with the many included UT gametypes. (I recommend Jailbreak!)

(I actually enjoy UT2004 on my eMac too--the vehicles are great fun! But it's certainly slow, and details must be turned way down.)

#12 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:33 AM

Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

Unreal Tournament?

Umm, guys, he's asking for non-violent games here  :wink:

Civilization 3 is a great game w/o too much violence.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#13 Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:27 PM

I can stand that amount of violence, I just don't want another horribly violent shooter like Soldier Of Fortune 2  :wink: I don't really want a FPS either, btu I like FPS's such as JEdi Academy and Tron, just not thigns like SOF 2, but I do like Americas Army, great game  :wink:

So, seeing little red pixels on your screen is the difference?

"Dismemberment is not violent, as long as there is no red on the screen!!!!"

#14 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:10 PM

Fun low-violence 3D games I play on my eMac700:

* RealMYST

* American McGee's Alice (OK, there's some blood and knife-throwing, but it's all surreal monsters)

* Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition (in Classic is fine, and OS X native is on the way). TONS of free add-ons that make UT (any version) like buying one game and getting dozens.

Why do I say UT is low-violence? Because you can do three things:

1. Turn the gore down

2. Play against robots or aliens instead of human characters (unless you play the actual Tournament ladder or play online--you don't choose your opponents there)

3. Get the "Disintegration" mutator. It replaces all gore and death for all characters with sparking and dematerialization effects. So when you shoot someone they "teleport" away in a pretty cool effect.

I play UT2004 on that eMac too, and it's fun, but less than ideal for sure. Slow sometimes even at low detail.

And yes, it's a personal call what violence bothers you and what doesn't. "Red pixels" do indeed create a gory effect.

#15 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:50 AM

tranquility

Totally non-violent, will run on just about anything (runs great on my 700 mHz eMac, so you should be set).

Of course, it's weird as all heck, but addicting and fun nonetheless.

Freeverse and Ambrosia both have some great non-violent games.  Check out the free demos.
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#16 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:15 AM

Spaceward Ho! should run on any Mac that is able to run OS X. Started playing it in '94 and still like to pop it in frequently - the lastest version that is - for some very enjoyable can of space conflict whup ass.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.