mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:53 AM

Hello there,

the following problem: the G502 is 'leaking' into the Mac mini. Every time I move the mouse the mini makes (low volume) high frequency noises from the inside, not the speakers.

I am using this mouse for several months now and I haven't noticed it before but since I did, this is very annoying when working quietly e.g writing / photo editing etc. I cannot tell if it was from the beginnng or it has occured just recently.

Connecting over USB-Hub or directly or using Ferrit-Cores does not help.

My old MX 518 (yes, the original ;) ) does not do this, so I am pretty sure it's the G502 and not the screen or something else.

Any ideas besides exchanging the mouse?
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:56 AM

So when you plug in a different mouse, the whine stops?

Hmm... well then that might rule out "coil whine"... but it may just be that particular mouse is drawing more power than others, thus causing it when you move it as its transmitting a lot of data.

I'm not familiar with a G502, but is that a ridiculously high resolution mouse over the MX518?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:23 PM

Yes, MX518 is silent.

and yes, it is a a "ridiculously high resolution" laser mouse : 16k DPI, 1Mhz poll rate, ARM CPU.

PS and thanks fpr the coil whine tip. I googled it but (luckily?) it does not sound like that at all. it's more pure sine wave.
And it really only happen when I move the G502. I can do morse code with it. :)

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

View Postmindnoise, on 13 November 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

Yes, MX518 is silent.

and yes, it is a a "ridiculously high resolution" laser mouse : 16k DPI, 1Mhz poll rate, ARM CPU.

PS and thanks fpr the coil whine tip. I googled it but (luckily?) it does not sound like that at all. it's more pure sine wave.
And it really only happen when I move the G502. I can do morse code with it. :)

Interesting. Maybe then its "USB whine" LOL... you are pushing so much data through that it creates that tone.

Hmm, come to think of it ...... I once had an issue with a mouse I had plugged into a laptop, and the 'speakers' would whine when the mouse moved. Gah, what mouse was that... where is it... I think I may have tossed it.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:51 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 13 November 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Hmm, come to think of it ...... I once had an issue with a mouse I had plugged into a laptop, and the 'speakers' would whine when the mouse moved. Gah, what mouse was that... where is it... I think I may have tossed it.

I had the exact same problem. For as far as I remember it was a Logitech G5. I could hear the movement of my mouse through my headphones.

#6 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:06 AM

I found out the noise is directly connected to the poll-rate. At 1Mhz is really noticable. At 500Hz ist considerably less and at 250 and 125 Hz it is not noticable anymore.

So I keep it at a pollrate on 125Hz - 250Hz.

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:50 AM

Interesting..... some sort of bandwidth whine giving feedback through the system and coming out of odd holes. Wonder whose design flaw... the mouse maker, or apple.

-Fm [1oM7]

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2831 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

It would be interesting to plug that same mouse into another Mac Mini to see if it's specific to your machine or not.

Tell you what, send the mouse to me and I'll try it out on my Mini. :-)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

My $5 Logitech I have plugged into my Mini2018 doesn't make this whining noise :D

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8479 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:54 PM

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:P

(Sorry, I'm not quite sober…)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"