(Re)started a Mac gaming podcast - Great co-hosts found, episodes ongoing!

Podcast Mac Gaming Tech

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1508 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 09 July 2021 - 05:45 PM

Hi all!

Way back in the day, I restarted the IMG podcast, and after a few episodes, I renamed it to my own thing. This ran for 30+ episodes, ending sometime in 2016. Honestly, I never did much to promote it. But I had some fabulous co-hosts, and we had some very fun episodes. I would say the highlight was getting Edwin Smith from Feral Interactive on for one of them!

I'm looking to (re)start a Mac gaming podcast again, and I am looking for one or two (or even three) reliable co-hosts to join up! If you think you could be interested, please read on for more info.

How often?: Once a week. (Maybe exceptions for super special events.)
Episode length?: 30-45 minutes on average.
Format:? We would cover any exciting news, give previews/reviews or general impressions of current Mac games. It could also just be anything we are playing. I want most episodes to feature a central topic that we round table discuss, debate or comment on. This could be anything from history, the current state of affairs, hardware/technical details like API's. Game culture elements such as violence in games, the infinite game problem, etc. Industry topics as well could be neat. We could do other lighter stuff such as "have you played..?" or "Indie games you missed on steam this month" or whatever. I have my own ideas but also open to any proposals from co-hosts or even listeners.
Tone?: Fun & informative as a guideline. We can be silly or serious as the topic demands.
Requirements?: Decent microphone/quiet background. The ability to show up at agreed-upon times to record would also be lovely. Would likely take place via Discord, though other options are available.

Other details: I want to get this on Apple podcasts and maybe other places as it makes sense. I'm going to reconfigure my current Macgamecast website to be streamlined to primarily feature the podcast. But there can be some writing or blog stuff on the side. I'd likely post it here and at Macrumors forum as episodes are out and hopefully generate some comments or discussion. And/or there will Disqus comments enabled on the main website itself.

If the above perks your interest, please reply here or send me a message, and we'll get talking! I want to get this started within the week if possible. I understand you may not be sure and just want to try it out once or twice. That's also fine and I know how to work with others on that.
Computer: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020.) 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9. 64GB RAM. AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.

New Mac gaming podcast! Find it here: Website | Apple Podcasts | Spotify

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

We completed our first episode so people should be able to listen to that in the near future.
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:24 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 20 July 2021 - 02:50 PM, said:

We completed our first episode so people should be able to listen to that in the near future.

Please let us know when we can find it inside our podcast app of choice.

#4 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1508 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:56 AM

View PostCougar, on 20 July 2021 - 06:24 PM, said:

Please let us know when we can find it inside our podcast app of choice.
It should be on Spotify and Apple podcasts. Anywhere else you want to see it?
Computer: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020.) 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9. 64GB RAM. AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:03 PM

View PostWumpus, on 21 July 2021 - 08:56 AM, said:

It should be on Spotify and Apple podcasts. Anywhere else you want to see it?

It doesn’t appear in Apple Podcasts for me.

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

I think we are still waiting on Apple to approve it
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda

#7 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 597 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:59 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 21 July 2021 - 01:06 PM, said:

I think we are still waiting on Apple to approve it

Posted Image
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#8 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1508 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:56 PM

Yes, the apple submission is delayed, but it's up on Spotify. I'm also changing the podcast host, so that might cause a bump. Will post/share it as soon as its ready. Thanks for the interest!

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1508 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:27 AM

Okay, it's out on Apple! You can find it by just searching for "macgamecast" or use a direct link.

Link: https://podcasts.app...st/id1577664364

Spotify link: https://open.spotify...#38;dl_branch=1

Episode two was uploaded today, but still seems to be pending refreshing on Apple/Spotify. Don't know those schedules.

We already have our next 2-3 podcasts planned! And some more hosts/guests in the works.

#10 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

Totally love this! Instant subscribe.

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1508 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:43 PM

Feedback & comments welcome of course! If you want us to comment on something, or answer a question, or a particular main topic you want to see, just drop it here or message me! Or SneakySnake :)

#12 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:30 PM

Looking forward to listening to it soon. Don't put them out too quickly, I'll never catch up!

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#13 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1508 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:04 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 22 July 2021 - 06:30 PM, said:

Looking forward to listening to it soon. Don't put them out too quickly, I'll never catch up!

Well I switched hosts so its incorrectly saying that Eps 1 went out the 21st, when it was really up a week ago. We're shooting for a weekly format, likely on Weds/Thurs depending.

If you recall I had you on as a guest in the previous podcast many years ago. Perhaps we can entice you onto the new one as a guest! :D

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:14 AM

View PostWumpus, on 22 July 2021 - 08:04 PM, said:

If you recall I had you on as a guest in the previous podcast many years ago. Perhaps we can entice you onto the new one as a guest! :D

True. What you are not recalling is that it was possibly the last episode recorded, and never aired.

That's right; I killed the podcast!

Seriously though: back then I could at least claim to be doing uDevGames and iOS development. Haven't done any of that for years.

Maybe Richard Moss could be a guest? He's finishing up his Shareware Heroes book, and a new edition of Secret History of Mac Games, and a kickstarter for a documentary on FPS games... He knows a lot, and has products to plug. Could come on to talk about his work, or to weigh in a topic like: Bungie; Ambrosia; Mac FPS; shareware... The downside is he's very busy. But he is on these forums sometimes.

A potential topic I was thinking about recently was Blizzard. The Warcraft III Reforged game was such a disaster, and July 22nd article from Bloomberg reveals how bad management and Activision's chase-the-money mentality was to blame. It had me mourning the old Blizzard. Lot of good history there. But it is just history now, and its finally sinking in for me.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#15 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:52 AM

or a particular main topic you want to see

Topic idea: "What happened to Aspyr Media..."

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:02 PM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 23 July 2021 - 11:52 AM, said:

Short answer: they got bought.

That would be a great topic for the podcast though.

#17 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 23 July 2021 - 12:02 PM, said:

They'd already been curtailing the Mac ports way before that, though.

#18 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1508 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 July 2021 - 07:14 AM, said:

True. What you are not recalling is that it was possibly the last episode recorded, and never aired.

That's right; I killed the podcast!

Seriously though: back then I could at least claim to be doing uDevGames and iOS development. Haven't done any of that for years.

Maybe Richard Moss could be a guest? He's finishing up his Shareware Heroes book, and a new edition of Secret History of Mac Games, and a kickstarter for a documentary on FPS games... He knows a lot, and has products to plug. Could come on to talk about his work, or to weigh in a topic like: Bungie; Ambrosia; Mac FPS; shareware... The downside is he's very busy. But he is on these forums sometimes.

A potential topic I was thinking about recently was Blizzard. The Warcraft III Reforged game was such a disaster, and July 22nd article from Bloomberg reveals how bad management and Activision's chase-the-money mentality was to blame. It had me mourning the old Blizzard. Lot of good history there. But it is just history now, and its finally sinking in for me.

Oh no! You remembered. Actually I know it very well, because I still have all the files, including even more backlogs that was recorded, but not published. I won't make excuses for my past sins - I was disorganized and biting off more than I could chew. But that was long ago, I am now (theoretically) a mature adult who takes care of business! I've got a really easy podcast workflow that makes it almost effortless to get it from recorded to published. Big difference from back then. If all goes well, I'll be able to get those up as an archive. It's actually 36 episodes, you were on number #22. :ph34r: :teehee:

Richard Moss is on my "to ask" guest list. Great suggestion all the same. I backed the Secret History of Mac games, big fan there!

Re: Blizzard, we used to do some blizzcon specials. I grew up on Blizzard games, a lot of love there for the past, but the present is less than ideal. Could be a solid topic for sure.

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 23 July 2021 - 11:52 AM, said:

It's been on my mind! We already have the next 2 episodes topics planned, but perhaps for our 5th episode we can cover more "State of mac gaming stuff" but  focus on porting houses. There was some mention of this briefly in episode 1 and 2, but it wasn't a focus.

View PostSneaky Snake, on 23 July 2021 - 12:02 PM, said:

That would be a great topic for the podcast though.

Agreed!

View PostCougar, on 23 July 2021 - 03:24 PM, said:

They'd already been curtailing the Mac ports way before that, though.

Also true! And the why of that would be interesting to detail.

#19 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:57 PM

I believe Glenda Adams is retired now. You might be able to get her on, if you promise to talk objectively about the changes at Aspyr (which she might not have been around for anyway.) We can complain among ourselves about how Aspyr declined, but to people on the inside it probably just looked like friends and colleagues trying to keep their company afloat.

Freeverse another possible topic..

But we should try to avoid having every episode being a wake for the giants of Mac gaming who are no longer with us. We can still celebrate any interesting news such as AAA titles or cool indies that we get. (Psychonauts 2!) I don't know if that means previews/reviews, or just trying to talk to developers or publishers that have impressed us recently.

Maybe someone from Unity could tell us how the Mac market and Apple Silicon looks from their point of view?

I REALLY should stop giving advice until I have listened to some episodes.

Oh no! You remembered. Actually I know it very well, because I still have all the files, including even more backlogs that was recorded, but not published.
FWIW I was never mad about it, and I'm kind of relieved now to hear that I wasn't actually the last one recorded. Bless you for the work you did, and are doing.

www.mindthecube.com

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8719 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:53 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 July 2021 - 04:57 PM, said:

... cool indies that we get. (Psychonauts 2!)
Is that really still indie now that Double Fine is owned by Microsoft? :P

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Podcast, Mac, Gaming, Tech