5 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:55 PM

"Discover secrets and never-before-seen content from The Secret of Monkey Island with Ron Gilbert and The Video Game History Foundation"

Fri, October 30, 2020
4:00 PM – 5:30 PM EDT
Tickets are $10.
https://www.eventbri...ts-124486302883

(I bought a ticket but I will probably watch the archived stream instead of live.)

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4568 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:41 AM

Tempting. MI is an amazingly good game, and a unique pearl in gaming history.

This is a virtual event that will take place via a livestream link with your ticket order. (The stream will be archived and available to view later with your ticket.) 100% of ticket sales go to support The Video Game History Foundation, a 501©3 nonprofit preserving, celebrating, and teaching the history of video games.
in case anyone was wondering if it was worth it.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#3 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 593 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:22 PM

In all my years (you kids) it's the only game I've played that i've found genuinely laugh-out-loud funny.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:39 PM

View Postnick68k, on 30 October 2020 - 06:22 PM, said:

In all my years (you kids) it's the only game I've played that i've found genuinely laugh-out-loud funny.
Good point! I take it for granted now that games can be very funny, but this was very new at the time. Some of the Infocom text adventures had a humorous tone, but Monkey Island was at a whole new level.

The talk was fun. Such an amazing group of people worked on that game, including Steve Purcell (Sam & Max), Tim Schaffer (Grim Fandango; DoubleFine founder) and even Orson Scott Card did a spot of writing on it, just because he was hanging around.

After LucasArts, Ron went on to found Humongous Entertainment, where he delivered classics like Pajama Sam and Putt Putt. (During the livestream Ron's dog ran into the room-- turns out it's name is Pep, same as Put Putt's dog.)

During the talk I spotted something in one of the Monkey Island backgrounds that I'm sure I missed back in the day, because the Sam & Max computer game came much later and I hadn't read any of the comics.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:334]

I guess Steve Purcell drew that background.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4568 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:59 AM

I assume this is it, along with much more, since it is pretty long: [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikaqus5_QIg&feature=emb_logo[/media]
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:00 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 November 2020 - 06:59 AM, said:

I assume this is it, along with much more, since it is pretty long:
Yes. As a sort of waiting room, they displayed the in-game animation of Melee Island, and played MIDI sea shanties. It's very soothing but if you want to skip straight to the talk it's at 2:57:40

www.mindthecube.com